How to get started working in Recording Studio?

Ichiro said:
i saw lots of negative comments on SAE....

i'm not sure if u'll asking me..but...
no.1 - i'm still in it now but grad soon. 1st hand stuff,dude.
no.2 -as a audio engineer, certs are juz part of getting it started. portfolios are the main stuff in the later part of your career.
no.3 -similar question as no.1,in fact all audio schools will teach only the basic stuff. can good mastering be taught? dun think so. its really about the exp and knowlegde u gonna pick along the way. few are born genius, even u r the genius, u got to pick it up from someone or someway.
no.4 -audio engineer at times may also be the role as producers, having a keen eye on what is needed on market now is important factor. the audio industry is not only about music making and also about music marketing, etc..
no.5 -the sae dip here is equal to its counterparts elsewhere. we should be accept into other audio sch. i recom the degree in sae @ byron bay...cool place to stay for a couple of years..

or ya...go to the open house. i think sae is a better stepping stone compare to lasalle-sia or wat ever poly.

teraslasch said:
roti .. that is rather contridicting?.. u said rather good , then drop out or defer???? wad u mean ?.. lol.. btw, can u take the diploma and degree b4 going NS? since its only 2 years in total..
well, the 25% can't take the stress so lan lan have to drop out or defer...hahahhaa...if u haven't complete NS, then take the diploma first, during the ur NS u can ask for off days to take the degree..hehee..or after ur NS to continue

roti, u taking the diploma rite? i was wondering if u could defer to bryon bay for just one year to take the degree.. because it all totals to 2 years only, its like JC etc.

teraslasch said:
btw i believe SAE is internationally recognized in places such as aus and US.. but definietely not in SG..

agree.but if u plan to continue to study/work overseas...sae sg is a good stepping stone.

NS stuff quite standard, i guess...wat u wanna know abt the NS stuff?...anyway i finish my NS way before i enter sae.

oh.. where did u go b4 SAE?.. cause i wanna go SAE after Os, then diploma 1 yr. their degree is 1 yr too, but the garment saycannot defer for aynthing that is degree.. but considering this is one year only, total up only 2 yrs, like any JC and even lesser than poly. u think garment will let defer>?

the gov will not defer. anyway go NS earlier is better la...i went NS at 18 plus after A lvl. i was one of the youngest NS guys around..training rather relax compare to the 'ah peks' from poly..hahhaaa...now NS only 2 yrs plus 5 day work week and slightly higher pay compare to my time. my BMT pay is 240 bucks!! luckly me go sispec then OCS later than more paid than others NS guys..hahaa..i obese some more..

wada.. u went A level ->> ns >> sae .. o.o... why din u go SAE aftre Os.. kinda funny haha.. man.. darn the G******* la.. 1 yr also cannot.. then after diploma 1 yr then go NS.. i might as well early enlistment o.o..

oei, at my time SAE was rather unknown in sg. so i blur blur go JC lor...wat to do..anyway...me went As (2yrs)>NS(2.5yrs)>work(2yrs)>SAE+work(2.5yrs) i 25 liao ley.

Then SAE Sg is definitely in a world of their own. I deal with Events Mgmt, when it comes to sound production, the exposure is almost close to zero because we do not have many major events here. Basically just setting up/tearing down and manning the sound system. You don't need to study in SAE for that, any electrician with adequate training can do that.

SAE in US works with both software and hardware manufacturers. Like for example, industry leaders like Digidesign Pro Tools, Focusrite audio manufaturers etc to conduct their lessons and workshops. I do not believe that this is what SAE Sg is on par with, at least from what I have found out.

DD :D

DoubleDecker, you said "Basically just setting up/tearing down and manning the sound system". isn't this what all live sound engineering is about? :lol: well, there's the pre-production also lah.

SAE in US works with both software and hardware manufacturers
this means sometimes, you get vendor in to give talks on their gears.

any electrician with adequate training can do that
any sound engineer with adequate training also can wire up the senoko power station. it is true. but why would you rather a sound engineer do an electrician's job?

soft said:
DoubleDecker, you said "Basically just setting up/tearing down and manning the sound system". isn't this what all live sound engineering is about? :lol: well, there's the pre-production also lah.

Is live sound engineering all about setting up and tearing down? You mean there's nothing more other than these?

SAE in US works with both software and hardware manufacturers
this means sometimes, you get vendor in to give talks on their gears.

And also Vendors to conduct the lessons and workshops. Not just talks.

any electrician with adequate training can do that
any sound engineer with adequate training also can wire up the senoko power station. it is true. but why would you rather a sound engineer do an electrician's job?[/quote]

So basically you study sound engineering course to be a sound engineer or technician? :lol:

DoubleDecker, ha..ha.. i didnt mean to be argumentative lah. i went through sae, live sound, studio sound and fullsail. just giving my observations regarding the points raised.

* i also happened to be attached to the pub water department during my poly attachment. going around fixing electrical faults. :wink:

soft said:
DoubleDecker, ha..ha.. i didnt mean to be argumentative lah.

Chill Chill :D I know, so no worries... :D

But I was just wanting to make known to those who are keen to venture into this industry. All of us know, in Singapore especially, we always end up with a career that is different from what we actually set out to study in school. I made a bad mistake back then when I took up Mechatronics. Inclusive of NS and stuffs, it slipped my mind that after that 6 years from I first entered Polytechnic, the demand has since changed in that short/long 6 years.

So I was hoping these guys know fully and clearly what they are getting themselves into and what exactly so they want to do. I see that as a very important aspect. :D

DD

yah...its true...I strongly do not recommend Sg SAE..they are really in a world of their own..all they want is your money, you pay big bucks, as long as you learn something but not everything, and dats the end of course. Unless you are soOO rich enough that willing to pay some $9000-$10000 just to go there a have a touch of their SSL console n Digidesign Control 24. Most SAE student duno wat hav they learnt at the end of the day when I asked them..all they know is that they have experienced maybe their once-in-a-life-time touch of a SSL console..it's a joke man...so pls do not be rash or stubborn. Think trices..

I have not studied in SAE Singapore before so I can't actually speak about how good their lecturers are. But I do know one of their lecturers actually work in multimedia-related stuffs in Ministry of Sound. (It's a lady though...)

On the other end, if you are to compare the curriculum subjects from SAE-US and SAE-SG, you will realized that our institution here actually has short courses. While one takes up Audio Technology course in the states, you are taught everything! Yes, from softwares to hardwares.

It's all surface talk, so let's have a specific example. Strangely in Singapore, they took out Pro Tools and classify it as an additional short course. You actually have to pay for an extra course just to teach you on ProTools. Which in US, it is already part of the entire Diploma in Audio Technolgy with all the course fee and materials factored in. Whether is this just a "cosmetic arrangement" to make it looks as if they indeed have alot of courses, or "profit-driven" style of syllabus, I shall not comment.

Not forgetting in US, with all the money you fork out for the fees, you are already purchasing a Mac laptop loaded with all these softwares. What does this means? This simply means, anybody who is studying at that point, and has a little experience in music industry - now you have the hardwares, you can actually be taking up free lance projects while studying.

Pro and Con ... you weigh it out. (Of course, overseas accomodation is not taken into account yet)

My choice, I probably will not even take a second look at SAE - Sg.

DoubleDecker, in the states, they use student loan. that is why they package everything into 1 course. this way, the student dont have to pay upfront.

in singapore, student loan are not that popular.

but let's go back to the topic of Getting a job in a recording studio in singapore.

what the potential employee should do is to list out all the recording studios in singapore. contact them for work opportunities. get a feel of what is out there.

Back