How to get started working in Recording Studio?

i'll have to disagree with parablue. based on my personality i'm not cut out for reading/theory (i don't have N levels) also. but I make it up by DIY/getting hands on big time. i started out calling "the big head one" for 1/4jack heads and earphone as the "small head one" for over 5 years!. slowly understand the common logic/signal chain etc. then after a while I replace my bad-habit-bad-theories by reading up and replacing each of what I know DIY-ly with a proper term.

BF-Rocker : it's weird cos you're interested in workshops/schools etc but you don't want to read? you sure you gonna pick up just as well at school or just as bad when you're at home reading up on the net? the money could be used for getting starter equipment if don't have anything to hands on at home.

yupz, Blueprintstudios,
we are talking much the same thing, just you didn't really understood me. Thatz what i mean by independent, DIY as you started out.. But after that, you had to do your own reading as well, removing all the bad theories you had b4. Thatz why i refer reading as part of the job, i didn't say it makes up everything.
If there is no reading, just pure practical, then an engineer wouldn't understand what he is doing, he is just using his guts, in the end continously making the same mistakes without improvement. But if there is all reading only, then an engineer wouldn't be able to properly visualise and get to the point, everything just pure theory. Thatz why i feel sound engineering involves both reading and hands on.

Someone like me who failed my GCE 'O" level will never have the chance to go any polytechnics to study any of their Audio diploma program. So only SAE gave me the chance to learn what I always wanted to learn. I agree with you that the acoustics at the new campus in Bencoolen isnt as gd as the Sims Ave one but IMO its sometimes good for the students there to learn how to solve the bad aoustics problems in the studio by trying and experimenting different mics or miking positions in order to reduce the reflections or room tones etc. So SAE can be an alternative choice for students who cant get into the poly to study audio engineering.

Hmm
coz i think i wan more practical maybe...

haha
ok anyway i'm going for a workshop on 4 Nov @ soma
you can chekc it out at their web soma.com.sg
so exicited!! haha

jimz said:
Someone like me who failed my GCE 'O" level will never have the chance to go any polytechnics to study any of their Audio diploma program...
young man, my advice is try doing your 'O' levels again,
work hard and you may stand a chance to do any audio diploma.

dun give up. at 16-17 years old you are still at infancy of the rat race

newbie100 said:
jimz said:
Someone like me who failed my GCE 'O" level will never have the chance to go any polytechnics to study any of their Audio diploma program...
young man, my advice is try doing your 'O' levels again,
work hard and you may stand a chance to do any audio diploma.

dun give up. at 16-17 years old you are still at infancy of the rat race

Well, thats why I chose to go SAE and by the way I am already 25 years old. I graduated in 2004 and now working happily as an Audio Engineer in a Post-Production house for 2 years as well as doing freelance Music Engineering for some organisations. What I have learn in SAE is never a waste even though I failed my O levels. Even some engineers who doesnt even have N level or whatever audio cert also shine in the recording industry.

hi there, i'm also a student(diploma & degree) from sae sg. if u got zero knowlegde in audio engineering then its always good to start in a sch. some how, studying is always the better way. sae teaches u the basic way of working in a audio studio, the rest is really up to individual. u may also go to the lecturers for questions or what so ever. thats how u learn, they cant teach u all they know as time is rather limited. if u wanna start straight working at any studio without any exp, i seriously think anyone would wanna hire. they hav to spent time teaching u then. how long are u going to learn everything? they pay u to learn? wat if u quit half way? then hire another one and teach again? think about it...anyway the sae ratio of students to lecturer is quite low. and studio is also open for overnite recording. important factor is to plan ahead and book the studio fast.

i saw lots of negative comments on SAE.... but i would juz like to make some points for u guys out there to consider...

no.1 - did u experience it yrself? or this is a 2nd hand information you got form someone in the sch?

no.2 - Do u know as a audio engineer, u don't get jobs by juz having the cert?

no.3 - Did u study in the school before & experience what the courses offer yrself?

no.4 - being a audio engineer is not abt juz staying in the studio to record songs, there is whole lot more stuff u will learn in the sch, do u know that?

no.5 - and do u know that u can use the SAE dip here in singapore as an stepping stone to study degree in other sch in the world.

I agree that in the past SAE is not a very great school to go to. But ever since the recent few years, the sch is changing it's image..... go to their open house and experience it yrself....

Ichiro said:
i saw lots of negative comments on SAE.... but i would juz like to make some points for u guys out there to consider...

Hello Bro Ichiro,

I'm sure you know who Ed is right? *grinz* Some great points you have raised there, drop me a line in MSN some day when you're free, we'll have a good talk. Just to answer a little from my own opinions...

no.1 - did u experience it yrself? or this is a 2nd hand information you got form someone in the sch?

If we have to experience ever single school, by the time we are done, we are probably 40 years old. A better way of assessing it in my opinion is to look at their curriculum subjetcs, while at the same time talking to people who are actively in the industry to have a better picture to stay relevant.

no.2 - Do u know as a audio engineer, u don't get jobs by juz having the cert?

Can't agree more with this.

no.3 - Did u study in the school before & experience what the courses offer yrself?

As per no.1 ... alot of experience can be drawn from people whom have taken the courses and again, cross reference with the industry people. It is really not too hard to figure out if a course at certain schools will be suitable or worth the money and time. If a curriculum program that tells me I will be spending time on paper more than time with machines compared to a second school, of course I would opt to go to the second school. At least I know I will be doing more hands-on.

no.4 - being a audio engineer is not abt juz staying in the studio to record songs, there is whole lot more stuff u will learn in the sch, do u know that?

What students fail to do these days is, do a comprehensive check before signing up for any course. We can't help it on this one. We live in a paper-chase society which does not really goes well in the arts and music scene. It's sometimes tough for an "O" levels student to get their results in April and decide what course to take up within a space of 2 weeks. This - I would say is damaging policy and procedure here locally. UNLESS, this young person has been thinking about this since years ago.

no.5 - and do u know that u can use the SAE dip here in singapore as an stepping stone to study degree in other sch in the world.

I'm keen to know who are the partners they are working with for SAE Sg.

Cheerz,

DD :)

hi,
sae sg sadly do not really work with any industry players here. but the lecturers will try to do some attachments with events,etc...what do u mean by totally on their own??

roti .. that is rather contridicting?.. u said rather good , then drop out or defer???? wad u mean ?.. lol.. btw, can u take the diploma and degree b4 going NS? since its only 2 years in total..

Back