Ernie Ball Slinky Strings

I have "Super Slinky 9-42" tattooed on my butt...

nah just kiddin, but i've been using them for more than 10 years now.

just got mine just now. yup ernie balls super slinky all the way bro! 12 years and counting for me! *laughs*

I find Ernie Balls very tough and very nice-sounding, and they take a long time to rust, at least as far as uncoated strings go. Currently using D'addarios and they're almost as good, but Ernies are still number 1 for me in terms of pretty much every aspect. :cool: Awesome strings. I never need to trust expensive strings because I know Ernies are reliable and the name stands tall.

Well for me, I've been switching from Regular Slinkys to D'addario.
And here's what I noticed:

Slinkys (10-46): are like plug and play. The day you put it to your guitar, there's no need to condition your string get rid of that "metallic" crisp tone. But.... about two weeks of regular play (abt 2 hours per day), it will lose its brightness (dulls faster for those with sweaty hands). IMO, it hits the sweet spot of your guitar tone better than D'addario. Doesn't feel stiff.

D'addario(10-46): you may need a few days or a week to get rid of that "metallic" tone. After a week you will get that "sweet" tone. Lasts longer than slinkys. I feel it to be stiff or does not ring well on clean tones. But if you want a tight overdriven/distorted sound, this is it.

PS: This is my f***ing humble opinion. Other f***ing expert guitarists may feel otherwise.

Last edited:
Awesome! Nice packaging. How about their bass strings? Are they sealed up as well? Any reviews for their bass strings? Been using Rotosound all my life and I wanna try something different..

i just put in a set of daddarios and i'm liking it better than the super slinkys.. IMO it seems to last longer and the super slinkys tend to become abit 'stiff' after a few days of playing..

the titanium coated ones lasts way longer, about 3-4 weeks for me.. but the sound tends to get dull after 1 week or so but if you want long lasting strings, this is it!

The titanium coated ones are $15 per pack at Ranking. I wanted to get them but due to the price, I got D'addarios instead. I'll try them when I have the money.

well, it all boils down to personal preference. d'addarios just don't cut it for me in terms of tone. first, they need to be broken in (wait, what?! i got to suffer through dead sounding strings?!) and even if it does hit it, dies off too quickly. sure the strings last, but if i wanted those types, i'd get DR strings. i'm also not into the coated eb's. just feels weird...

just my 2 cents worth.

slinky.jpg

I bought 2 sets of Ernies for my guitar today.
They're $5.50 each.. :mrgreen:

Been using Ernie ball for 5 years. Recently went up a gauge and am enjoying it. Never looked back since.

Worst part to live is Pasir Ris. My strings start rusting in 2 days...

*edit* An example of how humid it is... Opening my camera dry box for 5 seconds ups the humidity in the box from 40 to 60.

Swee Lee Bras Basah NEVER has the green one whenever I go there! Why why why?!?! Does the place hate me so much?!?!

Back