Ernie Ball Slinky Strings

Gr3y

If you think i am kidding? I am not. Allow me to review the New Ernie Ball Slinky Strings!

edaa9f3001d14a192f9aca20904523c3.jpg

If you have already realized, the packaging is no longer the cheapo plastic envelop.The cheapo plastic envelop makes imitations to float conveniently and many other brand are suffering from it. It is now the all new Element Shield Packaging. I personally don't find this a gimmick at all. It says on the packaging "Element Shield Packaging means longest life Factory Fresh all the time". Alike many food product that are packed in such manner, this method of packing will really preserve things better then any others! Look at your chipsmore for example!

So when i bought my pack of the new eb slinky, i was already filled with excitement. I really wonder if it will be better then any slinky that i've used before. True enough, i can actually feel the difference. It's more then just merely some set of fresh strings. I can actually say they are mint! Dry and smooth to the very end. There are no sign of corosion on the strings unlike some other brands in the market.

I continue to read the packaging after installing the strings. I found this line.. "Ernie Ball Strings are manufactured in the beautiful Coachella Valley of Southern California. Cochella's warm desert climate coupled with the prevailing ultra low humidity makes this region perfect for producing the finest and freshest strings. Our new Element Shield packaging resists humidity and keeps your strings as fresh as the day they were made."

That whole sentence got me really curious. Here's what facts i've found.
-Coachella Valley of Southern California's humidity level is only around 12%!
-Singapore's humidity level is around 50-80%!
http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/Palm_Springs.html
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=singapore&wuSelect=WEATHER

Now you may be thinking, so that means no matter how fresh they come i'll still ruin it when i open and use it. Wrong thinking here. Think about other strings that are packed in cheapo packing methods. I've personally seen coated strings having some rusting even before being open up. That's amazing.

So what about the tone?
I used to be a big user of Everly Strings. Those are indeed great strings but economy have forced me to use other strings. Hence the Slinky was back. However, after many years of not using the Slinky and being stuck with Everly. I realized the Slinkys are really good sounding. They have this clear and articulated highs as well as a nice fat bottom. The tone do not get muffled out when i bend a note and the lower notes retains a very nice clarity. Comparing the slinky to many other greater strings that i've used when i am more well to do, they are definitely on par or even better then many other big names!

So what about the durability?
Many people will often tell you the following
-slinkys breaks very easy
-slinkys will lose the tone as fast as 1 week's time
-slinkys will get rusty very fast

I would say that these are very true but only for the early batches of slinky. Maybe in the days of 2003-2006, the years when there ain't many other strings in the market. But if you are telling me that these still happens to slinky then it could be because of the following..
-strings break could be cause by the guitar hardwares or user installation fault
-strings get rusty depends highly on the environment the guitar is left in

Slinky's Pro
-Great packaging that retains every goodness of the string
-Durable string life
-Good touch and tension gauge
-Reasonably cheap

Slinky's Con
-this series is not coated and will eventually prone to rust and corrosion
-sweaty palm user or people staying in higher humidity area of Singapore will need to avoid using this

Overall, i rate 4.5/5 stars for the new Ernie Ball Slinky Series

Get your Ernie Ball Slinky Series from Music Theme/Ranking Sports now!
Recommended Purchasing Price : SGD$6.50
(i'm not paid by any of the mentioned company to do this review, it's fully voluntary and not instructed)

I've been using Ernie Ball Slinkys since day one, and there hasn't been any other brands for me. Ernie Ball strings are the shiat.

Wow,u did this review at 5.20 in the morning?haha.is this new package good for playing metal or should i jus stick to super slikys?:???:

Wat? I used to be againts ernieball last time since i tried it once and it sucks a lot . Now i'm gonna try the slinky strings . Hey ! Heavy gauge is good for metal sounds rite??

I bought a pack of slinkys but havent use them as my new strings last quite long...

Just put a fresh set on my LP now. If you want them to last a long time without corroding there is a coated version of the Slinky but of course more expensive. If you're like me and strings only last one gig in this climate, then not much point spending the extra $$$

Last gig I tried Dean Markley's after seeing Joe Bonamassa singing their praises. Non sealed and 'fresh' out of Davis, there was some corrosion on the b string already right out of the packaging. Playing 3 sets by the end of the 2nd set the non wound strings felt like they were 6 months old...absolutely terrible, never again.

So its back to the Slinky's which are a steal for the price. Only thing I would say about the Slinkys compared to other strings is that, in my experience, they need more stretching to stay in pitch...not a big deal though.

its abt time ernie ball sealed up their strings. and so should other string companies. one of the main reasons why i'm stuck with d'addarios is they are sealed up. now i've gotta get myself a pack of slinkys!

and whoever just now said heavier gauge better for metal, thats totally false. matt heafy does favour heavier gauges though.

Wow,u did this review at 5.20 in the morning?haha.is this new package good for playing metal or should i jus stick to super slikys?:???:

Regular Slinky (this review, yellow/green pack) and Super Slinky (hot pink pack) are the same product except for the string gauges. Regular (10-46), Super (9-42)..

I've always loved Ernie Ball strings, and used them ever since i started playing electric guitar ages ago. They're more "flexible" and don't need to be "broken-in" to start feeling great. I've tried and tested most of the gauges (Ultra, Super, Regular, Hybrid and Power Slinky's) on different guitars (strats, teles, les pauls, ibanez RG's, yamaha pacifica's), and ALL of them are still CONSISTENTLY great.

Only gripe: they break easily. Maybe its just me. So i switched to D'Addarios, cheaper ($5+) and breaks less. They're one of the few to early-on have the "sealed-in fresh" packaging. But they're "harder" and need to be played for a while before they're "broken-in" proper and be "flexible and sounds better".

When i start to play again recently after a few years of "guitar abstinence", i'm using Ernie Ball's again... I don't break strings now (not so far!) cause i'm more wimpy now with my playing! Still LOVE and remember the feel and touch of the strings.. I still remember helping Neil Zaza restring his 2 guitars with the Regular Slinky's. And finding a set of Ernie Ball's string (Regular Slinky's too!) in one of Paul Gilbert's guitar cases!! Hehehehhhe... ;)

So, they must be GREAT strings right?! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I bought 2 packs of Super Slinkys at ranking,$6 each..and yeah,slinkys seems to last for 2 or more weeks(cos i changed it on the 2nd week),longer than i expected..

I still remember helping Neil Zaza restring his 2 guitars with the Regular Slinky's. And finding a set of Ernie Ball's string (Regular Slinky's too!) in one of Paul Gilbert's guitar cases!! Hehehehhhe... ;)

So, they must be GREAT strings right?! :mrgreen:

Paul Gilbert is always using ernieball strings!
Say what's your job? you seems to be restringing guitars for big artist, that's nice.

and yes to the guy that asked.. i did the review 5.30am, i just have to do it before i forget about it and i don't want anyone to miss out the great string!

I bought 2 packs of Super Slinkys at ranking,$6 each..and yeah,slinkys seems to last for 2 or more weeks(cos i changed it on the 2nd week),longer than i expected..

i think i always manage to get miracle set of strings. they last longer than two weeks and still more or less feel the same since day one. the slinky's on my guitar now has been strung up close to 4 weeks now and they still feel great. and i don't keep my guitar in a case.

Paul Gilbert is always using ernieball strings!
Say what's your job? you seems to be restringing guitars for big artist, that's nice.

I used to work in "........." guitar shop.. ;)
And at times we take turns to take care of visiting guitarists doing clinics.
So i happen to be a "personal assistant" for Neil Zaza and helped him then with his stuff!
Very, very nice, cool guy with no airs... :D

And me and another guy helped unpacked Paul Gilbert's guitar for his Space One tour at Suntec! I still remember how heavy his PG guitar he used for the gig was.. The 2 V's was light, surprisingly... :mrgreen:

Just to tell you guys.. my ernie ball strings (this one) became rusty when I opened it and restringed my guitar... It was due to me putting it under the hot sun since last december...

imo,

slinkies sound and feel great, but only for a few days of play, then they lose tone and rust very quickly.

but while the shiny plating lasts, its awesome.

that would explain why they have so many endorsees. they can change strings every day.

i would use slinkies too, if i were.. petrucci or vai or gilbert.

I found that the new packaging one doesn't rust that easily as comparing to the old packaging one.

Kinda like implying "you gotta be rich to play Slinkys" since they rust easily. Haha.

But no, i dont have rust prob after a few days. After weeks, maybe yes. Just remember the golden rule; wipe after playing.

Back