Epl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Robinson can't play goalkeeper at all. Villa were 4-1 up and the Villa fans were singing happy birthday.Lol.Hilarious. What's with all the goals galore recently. The Villa Spurs match is quite entertaining. You guys should watch it.

Hleb travels but four face fitness tests in Bucharest
Steaua Bucharest v Arsenal
Champions League Group Stage
Stadionul Ghencea
Tue, Oct 2, 2007, 7.45pm

By Chris Harris

Arsène Wenger will wait for news on a quartet of players before naming his team to face Steaua Bucharest on Tuesday night.

Alex Hleb has travelled to Romania despite being stretchered off at West Ham on Saturday and the Belarussian is not the only one nursing an injury after the hard-fought victory at Upton Park.

Emmanuel Adebayor (thigh), Mathieu Flamini (groin) and Abou Diaby (ankle) also face fitness tests before Arsenal resume their Champions League campaign.

"Alex Hleb will travel," confirmed Wenger before flying out to Romania. "We tested him for a check on his bone and a decision will be made tomorrow over whether he will play or not.

"Emmanuel Adebayor will travel but we will make a decision on him as well. It looks a little less good than it did. Mathieu Flamini has a knock on his groin. Abou Diaby has a knock on his ankle so we need to check on them.

"William Gallas, Eduardo, Alex Song, Jens Lehmann and Tomas Rosicky are all still out."

Arsenal squad to face Steaua Bucharest:

24 Manuel ALMUNIA
21 Lukasz FABIANSKI
25 Emmanuel ADEBAYOR
11 Robin VAN PERSIE
26 Nicklas BENDTNER
13 Alexander HLEB
32 Theo WALCOTT
2 Abou DIABY
15 DENILSON
8 Lassana DIARRA
27 Emmanuel EBOUE
4 Cesc FABREGAS
16 Mathieu FLAMINI
19 GILBERTO
6 Philippe SENDEROS
31 Justin HOYTE
3 Bacary SAGNA
5 Kolo TOURE
22 Gael CLICHY

Match Report
Stadionul Ghencea
Tuesday, October 02, 2007, 7.45pm

Steaua Bucharest0

Arsenal1Van Persie 76

By Richard Clarke at Steaua Stadium

Robin van Persie secured Arsenal’s ninth straight win with the only goal a Steaua Bucharest on Tuesday night.

The Dutchman hammered home his fifth goal of the season - and his second winner in four days — in the 76th minute to decide a fraught and frantic affair in the Romanian capital.

Arsenal thought they had halted Steaua’s sparky display just before half-time when Gael Clichy’s deflected ball appeared to cross the line despite the best efforts of keeper Robinson Zapata. Replays suggested the referee was right to rule it out.

However, as the game went on, Arsenal got stronger and it was no surprise to see the Dutchman rifle home a clever cutback from Emmanuel Adebayor after good work by Alex Hleb. It was the least the visitors deserved after another dominant, if not free-flowing, display.

On the eve of this game, Arsène Wenger had suggested his side would need 10 points to qualify from Champions League Group H.

After just two of the six games that task is 60 per cent completed.

Before kick-off, the manager had five players facing fitness tests - Robin van Persie (ankle), Alex Hleb (knee), Emmanuel Adebayor (thigh), Mathieu Flamini (knee) and Abou Diaby (ankle).

In the end only the last of those failed to start the game. If even he made the bench. Emmanuel Eboue came in on the right and Hleb, who had been stretchered off at West Ham on Saturday, was switched to the left.

Jens Lehmann (elbow), Willam Gallas (groin), Alex Song (calf), Tomas Rosicky (hamstring) and Eduardo (hamstring) were still on the treatment table.

Steaua had lost their manager since their defeat to Slavia Prague on Matchday One. Gheorghe Hagi was one of Romania’s greatest players and had masterminded Galatasaray’s victory over Wenger’s Arsenal in the Uefa Cup Final of 2000.

Perhaps his unpopular dismissal was the reason half of the 28,000 seats in the Steaua Stadium were empty this evening.

However what the home fans lacked in numbers they made up for in passion. And they nearly had something to shout about in the sixth minute. Valentin Badea, who had already drifted a header over the bar, ghosted in at the far post to nod home a right-wing free-kick by Benal Nicolita. Replays confirmed that referee Terje Hauge was right to rule it offside.

Arsenal should have provided the perfect riposte. They flew up the other end, Van Persie got to the byline and scuttled a low ball across the area. Hleb collected and rolled the ball back into the area to Fabregas six yards out. Inexplicably, Fabregas screwed his shot over the bar.

Steaua were belying their reputation of a side hit by a double whammy - injury problems and internal strife. Nicolae Dica flashed a low, long-range drive beyond the diving Almunia’s left hand and the post in the 20th minute. Just before the half-hour Nicolita nearly stole in before the keeper collected Clichy’s back header.

Seconds later, Van Persie’s clever touch sent Adebayor clear in the left-hand channel but the Togolese striker chose to square the ball into a penalty area over-populated with Steaua shirts when a shot on goal was much the better option. However it was Arsenal were starting to find the measure of their hosts

Ovidu Petre fired over for Steaua but in the 35th minute Fabregas and Hleb played a one-two in the area only for the latter’s drive to be blocked on the edge of the six-yard box.

Five minutes before the break. Arsenal thought they had gone ahead. Clichy had ample time to cross from the left but his effort cannoned off Petre Marin. It wrong-footed keeper Robinson Zapata who did well to re-adjust and clutch the ball on the line. His momentum slid the Columbian over it and the ball went with him. Replays suggested the keeper hauled the ball back before its entirety had crossed.

Then, as half time approached, Flamini then forced Zapata into another sharp save at his near post.

As the whistle blew there was a sense that Arsenal were starting to turn the screw.

They nearly got their reward 10 minutes after break. Romeo Surdu crudely hauled down Helb on the left, Fabregas swung the free-kick into the area and, although the leaping Adebayor got the merest touch, Robinson batted the ball clear at full stretch.

However, almost immediately, Arsenal had let off themselves. Almunia rushed out of his area the head the ball clear. However it fell to the feet of Adrian Negra whose lob sailed over the Spanish keeper and had to be nodded away by Toure, who had taken up sentry duty on his own line.

Hleb’s trickery continued to cause Steaua problems on the left but often his work lacked accuracy in the final ball.

After Van Persie had hooked over from Adebayor’s fine cross, the Belarus fired over the bar. It was an indication that Arsenal were, once again, going to finish strongly.

However in the 70th minute, Nicolita’s through-ball sent substitute Victoras Iacob clear. Arsenal looked for an offside flag. It never came. Fortunately for them the gangly striker snatched at his chance and guided his shot wastefully over the bar.

The extent of its wastefulness would be shown in the 76th minute. Hleb fed Adeabyor, who bulldozered his way to the byline. His cutback evaded Fabregas but not Van Persie hammered a left foot shot high into the net.

The goal killed Steaua’s spirit. In the dying minutes, Fabregas tested Zapata from range and Adebayor hoiked an effort over the bar.

This victory was hardly 90 when, to borrow the manager’s phrase, life was beautiful. But it was pretty enough and certainly showed the efficiency of a side who are going places.

Gilberto - The hard work has only just begun
Steaua Bucharest 0-1 Arsenal
Stadionul Ghencea
Tue, Oct 2, 2007, 7.45pm

By Chris Harris

Nine straight wins and 11 in their last 12 - no wonder Arsenal have gone from unfancied to fêted in less than two months. Arsène Wenger's young side were nobody's favourites for honours when the season started but now they are the team to beat.

Gilberto is well aware of that. The Brazilian midfielder came off the bench to help Arsenal beat Steaua Bucharest on Tuesday night and he acknowledges that the hype is building around Wenger's team. But Gilberto knows that the hard work has only just begun for the Premier League leaders.

"It was very important for us to win the game at Steaua," said Gilberto. "It gives us a lot more confidence to continue the run and get what we want this year. It's very important to stay consistent as the games ahead will be even harder.

"It's hard to win games like we have done but we want more. It's the same for the teams who want to beat us. It's down to us and the way we manage everything. The quality is massive in this group. Even though the team is young there is a quality right through it.

"But we need to wait a little bit more. The more we play from now on it will be even harder for us. Everyone will want to win against us. I think this team can be one of the strongest in Europe. We are doing a great job but it is important to continue."

Arsenal's storming start to the season has invited rather premature comparisons with Wenger's 'Invincibles', who went a record 49 league games without defeat from May 2003 to October 2004. Gilberto insists the current squad must maintain its focus if they are to emulate that famous Arsenal side.

"It depends how they manage everything," he said. "The more you win the harder it is for you to play against other teams because everyone wants to beat you. But if they keep their minds right and everyone works hard and helps each other on the pitch, as they are doing at the moment, there is a great chance.

"It is important we keep our feet on the ground because football changes all the time. If you don't keep your feet on the ground and your mind strong it is very hard."

Van Persie - I told you we'd spring a surprise this season
Steaua Bucharest 0-1 Arsenal
Stadionul Ghencea
Tue, Oct 2, 2007, 7.45pm

By Richard Clarke

Robin van Persie knew back in the summer that Arsenal would enjoy a much better season than the pre-season pundits suggested.

In July, all the paper talk concerned the departure of Thierry Henry and Freddie Ljungberg from Emirates Stadium. The argument went that Arsenal had finished fourth in the last two seasons and may struggle to hang on to their Champions League status because the chasing sides had invested heavily.

Fast forward to October and Arsenal are sitting pretty on top of the Premier League and Champions League Group H. The Dutchman’s goal secured their ninth straight win at Steaua Bucharest on Tuesday night. Afterwards the 24-year-old said his ‘insider knowledge’ meant, right from the start of pre-season training, he knew this young side was gelling nicely.

“I began very early this season,” he said. “I first started just with Theo [in June] and then the other lads joined. What I saw was a great togetherness, a great belief and a great, great quality. I saw it every day. Day in, day out

“I understand the view from the press and friends because they were not there every day. I was and this is what I saw. Yes it was early but I told you at the Amsterdam Tournament this is what I felt. However when I spoke, everyone was laughing.

“I know it is not there and not finished but, at the start, we knew we could surprise. Now 10 or 11 games into the season people are like ‘whoa this Arsenal side are a good team’.

“If we can stay together then we can do some amazing stuff in the future. We are doing it now already but we are not at the end. This is not the end-product but we are progressing every week that we play.

“I said this before and it is not something that I am going to change. If we get a trophy then we are winning it with a good team if we miss it then we are still a good team. But this is our aim and if it happens I’ll be a glad man.”

They might not have won a trophy since 1999 but Tottenham Hotspur will pick up silverware of sorts this week when they're crowned the Premiership's most stressful team to watch.

Lloydspharmacy conducted an analysis of league results, league positions and margins of victory and defeat in order to calculate the amount of stress teams inflict on their fans.

Long-suffering: Tottenham fans

The analysis, which was based on league results from January 1 2007 to the end of last season, shows that Spurs fans suffered more heart-stopping moments than any other groups of supporters in the Premiership due to the team's failed bid to qualify for the Champions League (compounded by losing out to arch rival arse***), and the relatively high number of narrow margin victories and defeats. Spurs were only fractionally ahead of West Ham in the Lloydspharmacy Fans Premiership. Hammers fans endured a heart stopping, but ultimately successful, relegation battle last season.

"I guess if you add in the stress caused by appeals resulting from the Carlos Tevez affair then being a West Ham fan was probably more stressful than following Spurs, but based on results and league position, Spurs just nicked it," said Chris Frost, Lloydspharmacy's Head of Marketing.

And the Premiership's most chilled out fans? Middlesbrough's, for whom mid-table obscurity was a recipe for stress-free football following.

The findings appear to be backed up by Tottenham fans.

"Watching Spurs can be painful as well as stressful," said Toby Mitchenall, a White Hart Lane regular. "We can be on top in a game with a two-goal cushion, but still worrying that we'll throw it all away. It's often exciting, but never relaxing." Louise Guggenheim added: "Spurs are a really heart-stopping team to support because they put us through total agony every single game and there hasn't been a truly happy ending for some time now."

"Going to White Hart Lane is always a stressful affair," said Alex Bell. "I remember watching the FA Cup replay with Chelsea last season and feeling sick by the end because I had been so tense throughout.

Standard bearers: The Tottenham faithful

"We never seem to have just an average game which makes them great to watch but is no good for my heart."

Lloydspharmacy Fans Stress Premiership

Tottenham Hotspur 93.6

West Ham 93.5

Wigan Athletic 93.4 Charlton Athletic 93.2

Watford 92.4 Reading 87.9

Everton 86.1

Sheffield United 85.7

Portsmouth 81.5 Chelsea 75.4 Fulham 74.0 Man United 71.4 Bolton Wanderers 70.3 Man City 68.2 Newcastle United 68.1 Liverpool 61.7 arse*** 59.7 Aston Villa 52.6 Blackburn Rovers 49.7 Middlesbrough 43.7

How points were worked out

Points were awarded for expectations versus the previous season (2005/6), final league standings, closely won or lost matches and draws, the number of red cards awarded and the team's league position each week from 1 January 2007.

3 Things I learnt this weekend-

1. Sagna shouldn't have cut his hair
2. RVP will be a legend
3. what ship has not been to Liverpool?->Premiership

wait for it.

WAIT FOR IT!!!

MAN UTD 4-0 WIGAN!!!!!!!

hahaha. Ronaldo-2, Rooney 1, Tevez 1.

We are back in business. Bye bye 1-0 wins.

Liverpool 2-2 Tottenham. 0.0

Hmm liverpool's attractive football doesnt seem to be getting em wins.
Man Utd is down with 12 players on the injured list. Damn.
I guess the most underachieving team currently has to be Spurs. They have a good squad, but arent delivering the goods.
Well at least for Everton Lescott is in fine form!

WENGER'S VIEW

Arsene WengerWenger: 'We have to stay humble and hardworking'
Arsenal 3-2 Sunderland
Barclays Premier League
Emirates Stadium
Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 12pm

On letting Sunderland back into the match...
"Yes, the game looked after 15 minutes to be easy and maybe we convinced ourselves of that as well. But Sunderland made it after difficult for us. I feel afterward that a bit of our mental focus went and then you lose three or four per-cent, and at that level of course you pay for it. We had less urgency in our decision-making, we gave them more room to express themselves defensively and we paid for it. At the end of the day it was a good lesson for us, maturing, because they came back to 2-2 but again we found the resources that still shows there is something in the team that is really strong."

On Walcott's introduction...
"Yes, I felt that we needed some pace to go in behind them, you know? We gave them too much of the ball and that made it easier for them. Theo gave us something that was certainly determined today."

On losing a two goal cushion...
"It was very frustrating and for the players as well, it looked too easy after 2-0, and you know that when you have experience in football that 2-1 is the biggest change psychologically for anybody. At 2-1 a team who has already lost the game thinks 'Oh,we have a chance', and the team that has already won the game thinks 'Oh, we can drop points again'. The first goal for Sunderland gave them a lot of confidence."

On Diaby's disallowed goal...
"Frankly, it was the third goal. I don't know how he could disallow that goal and certainly that would have changed the game completely because at 3-0 it would have been a different game. But you can only live with the decisions that are made and in the end we found the third goal. It always looked like it was coming, but when you hit the post once or twice and you don't score, you never know. And they looked as well, in all fairness, always good going forward."

On title talk...
"It's too early to say that but what is a good sign is when you are 2-0 up, they come back to 2-2, you win it again - that means there is a great strength and resilience in the team, and you don't panic. It's too early in the season, I hope you ask me that question in January. The potential is there to be very good but the competition at that level in the Premier League - you have seen today, we played against Sunderland who is down in the league - we still had problems so we have to keep very humble and hardworking for each other."

On McShane's red card...
"McShane gave a few good kicks today, but he's a very aggressive player. It looked to me a red card."

On Gilberto starting on the bench...
"I have a strong relationship with Gilberto, I spoke with him about that, I have a huge respect for him, you know? At the moment it is frustrating for him - incidentally it is his birthday today. He is an important player in the group, he is an important player in the team. As I said, it is a selection problem at the moment but he will come back into the side, I don't worry about that."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back