Band Etiquette - Guitarists

There should be no such thing as etiquette as a guitarist. As a guitarist, I'm the rockstar of the band. Without me, the band is nothing. The band should be thanking me for making them good, I am the almighty of the band. People pay to watch me, not the band. The band's job is to fill up the empty spaces on stage, and to propel my awesome-ness. I play as loud as I want, as fast as I want, as long as I want, in any key whatsoever. It's the band's job to adapt to whatever key I play in, if they cannot, then I will have to find a new band.

fanciful coming from someone like you eh?

Guitarists are the main part of the band don;'t you know!

Haha I think it's more like without the rhythm guitar, the band is nothing. Most people (guitarists included) overlook the rhythm guitarist. Sometimes you don't even need a band. Just a rhythm guitarist and a singer.

Last edited:
There should be no such thing as etiquette as a guitarist. As a guitarist, I'm the rockstar of the band. Without me, the band is nothing. The band should be thanking me for making them good, I am the almighty of the band. People pay to watch me, not the band. The band's job is to fill up the empty spaces on stage, and to propel my awesome-ness. I play as loud as I want, as fast as I want, as long as I want, in any key whatsoever. It's the band's job to adapt to whatever key I play in, if they cannot, then I will have to find a new band.

ass-hole..
this kind of person does not deserve to be called a guitarist.

^
i hope you are not serious, can't you take a joke?

anyway imo, bassists are the most important. not those bassist which does the 4/4 lines linear sounds. no groove, no beat, no song.

^
i hope you are not serious, can't you take a joke?

anyway imo, bassists are the most important. not those bassist which does the 4/4 lines linear sounds. no groove, no beat, no song.

why so serious? LOL
if its a joke ok laa.
but if its for real...
den....:twisted:

I only got thing for advise for guitarists (lead and rhythm), when the dynamics picks up, please add in more energy instead of just playing the same way throughout. I mean, we don't play boring stuffs, we want to build the structure and the dynamics of the song. The drummer and bassist and vox already excited and pumped up, but the guitarists still the same.. It's a bit anti-climax you know what I mean? XD

oh and don't stone while playing please. I saw 1 band played quite good but the 2 guitarists are just standing like a tree. Audience not only hear you, but they see you as well

IMO..I shall stop there, I'm not even good at guitar, so I better shut up.. XD

This is my take on guitarists' etiquette in a band:

1) Lets say its ur first time joining band found from wherever, the first thing u do when u get to the studio, when everybody is setting up and u are done pls do not on the amp so loud and SHOWOFF ur "SKILLS" what i meant is maybe u noe a song which u think its super " HARD TO MASTER" and tries to show what u are capable of, i get pissed off with this. THere's no need to show that u are very good, unless ur bandmates request u show some skills. just play what u are supposed to.

2) If u think the other bandmates are not doing very well, do not go and say " hey u are a drummer right? hit louder" OR " hey u are a bassist right? y u on so loud? u should be softer than the guitar" This shows how ignorant u are! Dudes Drummers doesn't neccercarily have to hit hard. There's once when i was jamming with one band and the mic at the studio seriously sux can't seem to bring up the volume of the mic, and i was a drummer that time so i wasn't hitting hard if i do i will be distrating the vocalist whom is trying hard to hear himself. And the guitarist said that to me " hey u are a drummer right? hit louder" that guy wasn't even playing with the band me thats what i feel he just needs the beat to play his own part.
DO DRUMMERS REALLY HAVE TO HIT HARD ALL THE TIME? NO! ITS NOT THE ART OF DRUMMING.

THats my opinion.
Btw i'm not siding with drummers or smth i'm a guitarist as well

it's part of their 'style' or 'tone' lah.

because that 'style' helps them do their magnificent chops, or they may have spent many hours alone in their bedrooms to create their signature 'tone'. it's not their fault that the presence of other instruments affects the way they sound.

in essence, some people have no idea of how to play in a band.

cut off the bloody excess strings behind your tuners so the singer doesnt get speared in the eye when flailing about like a fool onstage.

and when you do see the moron flailing around keep your headstock out of the way.

personal experience *ahem*

man this is funny but i can really imagine the actual senario .... in slow motion ... haha but yeah not only to the eyes jus having it to poke you on the body will sometimes hurt too ... haha

Wow thx for all those useful tips and infos.
really good stuff kudos

Thing that pisses me off is when you go for a gig, people dont know how to appreciate music, --> Metal/screamo = Wah hardcore, power, jazz/blues = Ah they suck, no skill.

hmmmm weird, i always thought it was the other way around, from personal experience, i for one appreciate jazz n blues and of course metal as u can see from my user...but i just cant STAND hardcore

Back