Band Etiquette - Guitarists

no scores/tabs for gigging???

hmmm, i've seen a lot of live bands who uses scores/tabs on stage and i dun think there's anything wrong with tt. and i'm not talking bout obscure unknown bands but well respected bands who have been playing for years and playing for a living. been to places like timbre, hard rock, clarke quay and i see loads of bands using scores.

well tt's just my opinion :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately - life isn't fair. :)

Its usually a case where there is a player who is better at a certain aspect of guitar playing - so let him do most of that.

I see it as role allocation. Nothing wrong with that - husband and wife have a role to play, no one is more important than the other and both go hand in hand to make a wholesome family, right?

Mutual understand and excellent relationships are extremely tough to find. When you find one person who gels with you musically - my advice - STICK TOGETHER.

I'm blessed to have a bass player who is able to read my mind and vice versa. A lyricist/singer/songwriter who just ... works magic when I get to work with him, its such an amazing experience to see how we churn out musical ideas at such a prodigious rate.

I totally agree! It's just an amazing experience writing songs together, and somehow scary that we know each others next moves.

How 'bout drummers etiquette towards guitarist? ever jammed with a drummer who always ends a song midway thru your outro solo..? :mad:

i always wondered as a member in a audience. would you be turned off if,

the music is good, but stage presence isnt

emphasis on a hardrock genre.

Well yes and no.It'd would be pumping adrenaline if the performers are not just playing their thing but totally enjoying it as well.On the other hand if the music is good but there is zero stage presence,you'll just have to close your eyes till the gig's over.hehe :lol:

not just that, but to also be prepared...
i have guitarist going up having

1)untuned instruments
2)problems with chords- hai
3) show off moments...

:p haha thats my experience... super irritating

I had an interesting experience during a recent performance...

The mic was passed to the Emcee of the day... the mic cable ended up trailing across my pedalboard for some odd reason.

When the band got on to play the next song with the much-needed-to-feed-guitarist's-ego-solo... geez, my solo boost was monster loud!

Cable trailed over my pedalboard, and shifted the knobs on my clean boost.

Good thing nothing got damaged (the Goosonique Boosty is a very loud pedal) and no one got uh... offended.

Gah.

heh, cant be a full fledge geetarer if the solo aint painfully loud for once!

to top that, you need to drown every one out on the next show! Show them whos the boss! Occassionally, turn back and stare at the rest of the band, giving them the pissed look as if they are playing too loud and should really tone down!

heh, cant be a full fledge geetarer if the solo aint painfully loud for once!

to top that, you need to drown every one out on the next show! Show them whos the boss! Occassionally, turn back and stare at the rest of the band, giving them the pissed look as if they are playing too loud and should really tone down!

Like HELL YEAH... now THAT's a TRUE guitarist!!!!!

Sadly.. I'm the one that the soundman/bandmates keep asking to turn up the volume... why they want me to be so loud? Don't they know, guitarists are on a different level?!

shreddy! You, are a thinking geetarer, playing the reverse psychology game! You will do fine dabbling into politics!

Lai, join me, we start a sect, mindscrew others feeble mind!

win win! No losing!

heh, best to start a day with laughter!

have fun ya
icon10.gif

I had an interesting experience during a recent performance...

The mic was passed to the Emcee of the day... the mic cable ended up trailing across my pedalboard for some odd reason.

When the band got on to play the next song with the much-needed-to-feed-guitarist's-ego-solo... geez, my solo boost was monster loud!

Cable trailed over my pedalboard, and shifted the knobs on my clean boost.

go knobless .... like my boss ME 30

:-D;):mrgreen:

bring your own basic accesories.

..........7. Nail clipper

Never fails to make me boil each time my ex bandmates ask for the above.

Don't let your scrooging ways piss others off.

lets refix that point to:
7- nail clipper, or your teeth as usual :twisted:

Wrong thread, Addytao... Please talk to the admin about promoting your services. Posting this all over the forums is going to get some people annoyed.

Talking about band etiquette, my band once had a lead guitarist that got so high during a performance that he actually went up and grab a free mic and start shouting out things like 'thank you!' and 'we love you!!'. LOL.

Anw i noe of another guitarist that has really bad band etiquette. He just play his own fills and solos throughout the entire song even though the solos and fills dun fit at all. I really pity his band....

btw i am new here...hi!!

If your Tone is too sharp tone it down.
If it's too loud, bring the volume down.
won't kill you to at least learn to get a decent sound outta your amp. Not an accurate one. but at least blend in with the band. Don't kanchong onstage. always do a sound check to control your volume. it's irritating to know that your guitarist friend simply refuses to learn how to control your volume and
minimise! minimise! minimise!
sure it's ok to put in a few solos or 140951295 notes in a sec. but not too much. remember you are a band.
plus, simplicity sometimes is the best. less pressure while performing and makes you recording time more fruitful.
and freaking learn to change your strings, don't be like my guitarist friend who refuses to learn. new strings and old strings really do make a diffrence, plus you save money. no need service charge.

hoho i've not been gigging enough to note these. in my church too, i suppose everyone's so nice that they honestly dont express their discontent with my volume.
For some reason i always have this habit of turning it up, and making sure i can hear myself through my amp, as compared to hearing the band through the monitors. results = loud guitar.

but i prefer volume to making my cutting solos CUT. i prefer having my tone round and sexy and easily lost in a band mix BUT turning up the volume to compensate that. in that way, it not only gives a greater overall musical feel but supports too, the other musicians in the band. so is it really wrong that my volume is so high? when it DOES sound more pleasing to people's ears?

to the issue of rhythm vs lead, i struggle with that too. this is how i would feel if i would be playing rhythm in a gigging band. "Very fun, can rock out. enjoy myself. aiding the band, nice for expression. BUT am i doing my best?"
how do we know we are improving and pushing beyond our limits?

on the contrary, if i play lead, i will seriously be staring at my fretboard like i have no life, BUT the music would come out as planned. i will make sure every note is bent properly, well rehearsed at home, etc. this is because, i am NOT yet good at lead, so my best is still lifelessly staring at the fretboard and stressing out over it. so, rhythm or lead... hmm.

My bandmates never have to worry about me getting carried away with soloing. I barely do it! :mrgreen: But I think I'll go bonkers if I jam with a guy who just wants to shred his whole way through.

Back