Audio sample clip of my jamming....

woah, thats reall great rhythm beats u have there! great job. i like ur beats. how long have u been playing?

Hey Daniel, nice work....

USADRUMMER:- Just so that more can better understand your suggestion to Daniel, could u elaborate on the term "broken paradiddle" cos that can mean a few diff things...and could u also explain the purpose/need to play quarter note triplets on the bass drum?

Nice! Chewy, mind breaking down what rudiments you used for the earlier half of the clip ( on hi-hat ) ? There was one point where it sounded like something Carter Beauford always played..haha.

Not too shabby. Next, try some broken paradiddles between the hi-hat and snare, leading with the left hand, with the bass drum doing quarter note triplets. What did you use to record yourself with?

I used an Edirol MP3 recorder and set it to low mic gain so that drumming won't peak. I also used Soundforge to tweak the low ends for a punchier bass drum sound. I messed up when saving the file and ended up with 64kbps instead of CD quality! LOL!

As for the broken paradiddles, do you mean LRLL RLRR, L on hats, and R on snare? Which stroke do I accent on? Quarter note triplets meaning, (1),2,3...(2),2,3....(3),2,3....(4),2,3.... where (1,2,3,4) represent the pulse ya? Hope I got this right. Thanks btw! :)

Hey Daniel, nice work....

USADRUMMER:- Just so that more can better understand your suggestion to Daniel, could u elaborate on the term "broken paradiddle" cos that can mean a few diff things...and could u also explain the purpose/need to play quarter note triplets on the bass drum?

Hi Alvin, thanks. :)

Nice! Chewy, mind breaking down what rudiments you used for the earlier half of the clip ( on hi-hat ) ? There was one point where it sounded like something Carter Beauford always played..haha.

Yeap. Carter Beauford's drumming has always ben a great inspiration for me! He's rockish yet funky as well. I simply love his playing. Heh.

I used a combination of 5s, 6s, 7s, 11s, 3s, and several other stick-feet pattern. Thanks for the compliment! Have we met before btw? I think at some drum meet a long time back ya? :) Oh yes, I used plenty of doubles as well.

Last edited:
Hi USADRUMMER:-

Thanks for explain the term "broken paradiddle"....a few different things as in:- Are you suggesting playing the paradiddles in its most basic form but just simply splitting both hands over 2 instruments or broken as in altering the original form (which you already explained in your reply) like what Gadd did....And if it was the latter, I was simply just hoping that you could share some alternate paradiddle stickings which can be really helpful to a lot (as far as idea sharing is concerned). Also u suggested playing triplets with the bass drum, do u then mean to play the paradiddle sticking as triplets?

"As far as your second question asking me to explain the purpose/need to play quarter note triplets on the bass drum: Aside from insulting anyone's intelligence who already knows this, there really isn't anything to explain. And the purpose of it is just the same as the purpose is for playing any rhythmic pattern on the drumset. As for the "need" goes, we as drummers always have the need to find more challenging rhythmic patterns to reach that next level of playing.
Hope that helps."

--I still think a clearer understanding of a purpose/need is important....for example...are you suggesting playing the quarter note triplets so as to further develop the style that Daniel is working on? Will the triplets help develop useful inter-dependent skills and will that further promote musicality and certain practicality...Have you tried it yourself and if yes how has it helped you in tackling that style of rhythm...

if you can break this down a little it can really help motivate some to look at things differently and hopefully help develop further interest and motivate practice...you obviously have suggested something really interesting but it'll be a waste if it gets ignored...

Last edited:
Yeah I'm was at both your appearances. First was at SDC at boon studios long time ago...and the DXS exchange too. I don't think I have spoken to you before...I'm one of those shy "youngsters" ahaha...

Ok another question if you don't mind...pardon my ignorance ah...whats your sticking for 11 stroke like? Honestly I've never practiced 11 stroke rolls ( or maybe I did but sub-consciously )...

Hi USADRUMMER:-

Just some thoughts on your posts:-

"The broken paradiddle thing is something I was merely suggesting that you could experiment with. I know there are probably hundreds of postings in this forum (and the old DrumCoS forum) with all sorts of written variations of patterns that I don't need to add to them."

--I don't see why you can't share some ideas here....so what if there might already be hundreds of patterns posted here before? With you posting up your ideas (being a repeated idea or not) it can serve as a new reference point for newcomers, who for example, might not even know such patterns exist in the first place...let alone developing an idea to do a search for these patterns. Moreoever, are you absolutely sure your ideas have already been presented here before?

"There are whole books on paradiddle patterns, such as Ron Spagnardi's Paradiddle Power (that I don't personally own, but's on my "to get" list). When I practice, I experiment quite a LOT with stickings and patterns. Sometimes I will read off a Steve Gadd pattern and then try to modify it with experimentation."

--This reply on the other hand is extremely useful for newbies cos now they have a starting point...those who are interested can now do a search for Spagnardi's book and do some research on Steve Gadd...

"I can't tell you what to play or do, or what note to accent on. That is up to you for your own exploration and experimentation. Be creative!"

--Why not? The best way to start is to first learn some established ideas then followed up by your own experimentation....

"Also, by playing a quarter note triplet feel to things you experiment with will expand your ability to play against different rhythms. That's the purpose. I ain't sayin' it's easy, but it can be useful."

--This reply is almost useful....getting clearer to your point. Am I right to say that your suggestion to play triplets on the bass drum is to help expand one's ability to play polyrhythms? And you said it can be useful....useful in what sense?

"You can do both. Play them as regular paradiddles, but break them up between the hi-hats and snare. And also coming up with variations that can be used as hi-hat/snare combos. Also practice a regular paradiddle with a triplet feel and a quarter note bass drum pattern. Then reverse it with a quarter triplet bass drum and 16ths paradiddles. As I replied to Chewy, there are literally hundreds of posts here and on DrumCoS forum with patterns. There are loads of books with patterns that I need not add more to the pile."

--Ok, its getting clearer now. When you say play regular paradiddle with a triplet feel, do you mean play them like a shuffle or play the sticking as 8th note triplets (re-group the paradiddle sticking in groups of 3 eighth note triplets) or play the sticking as 16th note triplets (re-group the paradiddle sticking in groups of 3 sixteenth note triplets). I think if you just "merely" suggest an idea without a clearer explanation on details it is almost not a suggestion all. Since Chewy asked for a constructive feedback, we should give some constructive feedback...which you started out pretty well...until your reply to me that is....

"My point, as is always, isn't to "spoonfeed" anyone with blow-by-blow descriptions of "how to this/how to that". I am assuming (and hope correctly) that the drummers here are above basic drumming 'pablum' to the point that I don't have to explain my every word. I would hope that the drummers here are at a level of creativity to explore their own patterns and go out on the limb of experimentation."

--I'm not asking you to spoonfeed anyone...just simply to explain a term and to "complete" your suggestion with some or even just ONE idea so that some can use it as a reference point to go somewhere further....if you are so reluctant, then why put up a suggestion in the first place? Weren't you trying to be constructive?

"When one practices something that is different from what they are used to doing, it can only add to their repertoire of experience. Of course practicing quarter note triplets will free up some of the inherent independence problems usually associated with ad nauseum 4/4 playing. Yes, I do practice quarter note triplets with all 4 limbs. One limb will always be the 4/4 while the triplet limb will play the triplets. Mix 'n match. It helps me inasmuch as I can play things against a 4/4 beat. I can add triplets and still be within the pulse. It helps me in many ways: comping Jazz and soloing. "

--This is a great reply. Now we know you've tried an idea and it helped in your playing and in a very practical manner too. Other than Jazz, have you found it useful in other styles of music?

"I did hear Daniel try to pull something like that off in his sound clip, but he ended it a little to soon and lost it. Listen to the clip again and you know what I'm talking about. He aleady is trying triplet-like stuff, but hasn't got it mastered quite yet. As far as Daniel's style, I can't say if it would help his style or not. That is up to his genius and creativity. Not mine."

--Great! Can you give us a reference in terms of minutes and seconds? As in where in the recording did u hear it? By giving us the reference it can really help interested newbies do some serious studying....

"You'd have to agree that there are literally VOLUMES of posts with information galore already at the fingertips of the "search" button. There are other drum forums with multitudes of tips. And then there is you, the teacher. What more resources can possibly be related that hasn't already been? Isn't all this information that is already available being ignored? And it wouldn't be the first time."

--So did u REALLY mean to suggest an idea or NOT?

Last edited:
Now I need to address this separately:-

From USADRUMMER AKA BRUCE:-

"And also if I tell you stuff, then I am essentially undermining Alvin by taking away what could potentially be $$$ in his pocket by teaching you. Then I would be accused of "stealing our jobs", as most ang mohs get accused of. See my point?"

"But then again, that's why there are schools such as yours that, not only do you earn your living, but drummers can reach their goals. Lest I be accussed of taking away anyone's rice bowl, I digress."

I merely asked a question to your suggestion for Chewy. A very simple and direct question towards a musical idea you suggested hoping that some can really benefit from it....did you have to get personal with me? Have you been accused of job stealing or stealing anyone's rice bowl? You seemed to be the worrying one here instead....why is that so Bruce? And no, you are not and will never have the ability to undermine me. By going out of perspective and getting personal you are only undermining your own character.

I have been contributing in local forums (since the old Singapore Drum Circle days) for more than 6 years now.....I have been most sincere with presenting alot of my ideas and experiences and even emailed my own literature to some newbies...I hope I wasn't accused of undercutting anyone by helping out for free...did I worry you? I'm sorry if I did...

But seriously...you didn't have to get personal. I am offended!

Last edited:
Daniel, I apologize for such a disturbance to happen in your thread. The only constructive feedback I have now is to practice with a metronome at a slower tempo to clean some of your note placements. Other than that I think your ideas were great! See u in another thread!

Last edited:
Back