Anugerah Band Competition

but obviously Rancour could 'sell' better as they are playing the 'in' thing now.

it's kinda disturbing to qualify a band's capacity by rating their sell-by date exclusively, it's not a true measure of integrity IMO. sadly, this is the practice of the Malay music industry at large; got looks, can play (don't need to be good), still hot, will do.

no disrespect to Rancour of course, they won.

...but he should still take the stake for not doing enough.

If they had Putra's guitarist, then they would have won it hands-down, IMHO.

if you noticed, there were solo/ centre pieces for the other 3 bands- Trabo/ X-Tech/ Fatskunks, arguably, these bands' guitar players did quite a feat for their bands BUT the band that won, just strummed their guitars. so is it about the player's capacity per se in not winning?

Expiry? Keith richards can freaking survive a nuclear fallout together with boss pedals and cockroaches. They don't count...lol

it's kinda disturbing to qualify a band's capacity by rating their sell-by date exclusively, it's not a true measure of integrity IMO. sadly, this is the practice of the Malay music industry at large; got looks, can play (don't need to be good), still hot, will do.

+1 for tat.
its disturbing for me too...
but wat to do... the producers want the $.
just like wat was told in the comp, "image itu important",even to me...
then i extra said "play like fiak nevermind"
i dun reli like tat term at all. but... for marketing n to get profits, they do tat. they are not the normal band comp like botb,asianbeats etc who judge on talents and tat sort.

tats the practice... even the sms thinghy is a crap to me.
but again... wat to do...

i dun reli like tat term at all. but... for marketing n to get profits, they do tat. they are not the normal band comp like botb,asianbeats etc who judge on talents and tat sort.

right bro; the reason why many of us here feel that this competition is an exercise in hypocrisy. but i enjoyed the showcase & not feeling too sentimental about certain wins/ losses because they mean nothing to me.

star-wars-smiley-5472.gif

if you noticed, there were solo/ centre pieces for the other 3 bands- Trabo/ X-Tech/ Fatskunks, arguably, these bands' guitar players did quite a feat for their bands BUT the band that won, just strummed their guitars. so is it about the player's capacity per se in not winning?

ya lah no guitar licking, bitting manouver but what to do, thats the "in-thing" now, so sad. How come Rosli Mansor and gang were not there? He should open the show instead of those young chaps.

Dey! Punk band donch really need guitar solo what. If there was, it would be a bonus - provided it was good and went well with the song. Rancour is a well-balanced band for the type of music that they do.

I can't say the same for X-Tech especially their guitarist. He is actually more suited for laid-back, Kenny Rogers kinda songs. :mrgreen:

Fatskunks are good but too cute for me and is it any mystery that the "in-thing" band won??? Duh? They were voted by CURRENT viewers. And that distorted guitar solo (last song) from Fatskunks just made my hair stand on its ends! It showed a total lack of feel and understanding of the type of music they played - totally way off IMHO. As an aside, I think they'll be many times better with a keyboardist. They need that extra dimension to give their music more texture and vibe.

And I thought that what Fatskunks played was also the "in-thing" - whatever that is. To me, there's pop music and then there's everything else.

The fact that X-Tech, playing their type of music were close to winning goes to show that regardless of genre, if the band is good, people will accept it as such, "good" and vote accordingly.

General announcement: ANUGERAH BAND is over, let's give ourselves 5 days for our final comments before this thread closes.

PS: guitar solos are by choice, regardless of the music genre...
satyricon_01.jpg

Last edited:
General announcement: ANUGERAH BAND is over, let's give ourselves 5 days for our final comments before this thread closes.

Why not let the people decide when the thread should close???

PS: guitar solos are by choice, regardless of the music genre...

hahaha! That is of course a given lah. What is also true is that some genres 'ask', 'require' solos as part of their vibe/feel. If you play rock music and you donch have a solo for most of your songs then you might as well bungkus (wrap for storage) your leather pants and play Kenny Rogers songs.

I think it's kinda sad, not to mention a bad choice of word, to call the competition an exercise in hypocrisy.

Look lah, even if you took SMS voting out of the equation and only had judges, there will still be issues with who the judges are and on what bases the bands and bandmembers will be judged. And there is still the issue of how each basis will formulate themselves into the final equation.

There is no perfect world out there.

As an aside -
What I would like to see is a local competition where professional judges, that includes professional musicians and producers as judges + SMS voting. But the twist is that the aim is to create a Superband by selecting individual bandmembers from participating bands. Winners then go on towards working on an album, together with industry 'experts' such as songwriters and producers.

Of course there are lots of issues to work out but the end-result may be the best for all involved - musicians, music fans and the industry. To me, that's what it's all about.

Bon Jovi , scorpion , ugly kid joe , Def Leopard days are over. Now its all about fall out boy , Click five , my chemical romance. Music is a revolution.
We have to accept changes in our music industry. If Trabo was in the competition back in 1990s , they will sure win hands down. Now it Rancour's turn to shine. And Its about time. All the best to them.

Congrats to Rancour... The finalist was great.. Great shows..

On behalf of my band Putra, i would like to say thanks to all the comments that have been put out here. We got offer from a few record label. We are workin on our stuff now. Thanks to all again.

(ps. I requested to close this dicussion long time ago)

Regards,
Putra

Support local talents....
myspace.com/putraband

Kudos to putra then and hopefully things work out better. This is another good point that folks should take note - not only the winner gets record deals.

However, with all due respect, zam, eventhough you are the TS, once you post in a publi forum, the public 'owns' the thread. I don't see why it's a bad thing to let the people decide whether they want to post here or not.

If this thread was closed, we might not have known of your recent opportunities.

Good Luck & Have Fun!

bro sub

that's the difference of having a "skool" musician (indra sharil) and somebody else being on the jury panel.

bro rork

x-tech guitarist is technically proficient (hehehe.. he's a friend) but i believe its a nu-metal thing whereby there's little or no solos in a song..well i might be wrong what do i know..hehehe

bro rork
x-tech guitarist is technically proficient (hehehe.. he's a friend) but i believe its a nu-metal thing whereby there's little or no solos in a song..well i might be wrong what do i know..hehehe

Hi bro Fuzz..., thanks for the clarification. RoRK old school lah - if gotch grungy guitars, I'm always expecting a kick-arse solo of sorts.

Maybe we can have another thread..."Post anugerah comments" or "anugerah withdrawal symptoms" or something like that......
Then we can unleash a whole new can of worms and in the wise words of shang tsung "FIGHT!".........

Back