Yngwie DOD250 Overdrive

Jay_Clones

Hi people

Anybody own this Yngwie's overdrive pedal?
Any reviews plus ur set-up?

Thanx in advance

(Posted in the wrong section)

I personally felt that you can't rely on it as a single distortion source cos it's just sounds wimpy if you do that.

I had it for a while, firstly as a boost to the drive section of my amp, but later switched it around and used it as a mild distortion source before my modded ds1. They didn't really combine well, so i sold it off.

Oh yea, stock, it isn't true-bypass either. Plus, it's noisy. It's not all that bad cos it does sound great with different set ups, amps etc.

Malmsteen & Wylde OD pedals aren't intense enough to be a stand alone distortion/ drive source. if you believe that it's so after watching the persons mentioned here use it in their live set-up, that's only 50% of the real situation...

Hi guys

Thanx for the info :D
I'm a crazy fan of Yngwie...I believed he uses those DOD as a boost to his MKII Marshall. His tones on the new album really brought me back to his old days.
His Marshall has got no gain, rite? I think it's just Mid High Bass...dats it. I think..
Sub, u got any info on the Marshall amp Yngwie uses?

Another thing for sure..as wat guys hv said, I dun think this DOD will work well on non-tube amp .

Poo, what amp did u use?

Jay_Clones said:
Hi guys

Thanx for the info :D
I'm a crazy fan of Yngwie...I believed he uses those DOD as a boost to his MKII Marshall. His tones on the new album really brought me back to his old days.
His Marshall has got no gain, rite? I think it's just Mid High Bass...dats it. I think..
Sub, u got any info on the Marshall amp Yngwie uses?

Another thing for sure..as wat guys hv said, I dun think this DOD will work well on non-tube amp .

Poo, what amp did u use?

The DOD250 is a simple straight forward overdrive, that's kinda noisy especially in high settings. It's character is in my opinion pretty similar to a BOss OD1. The Yngwie DOD pedal is actually a replica of his modded DOD250 and what's interesting is that the replica is actually thinner with less bass and more highs. This has been Yngwie's fav deive pedal in front of a cranked Marshall since he got into the limelight. The way Malmsteen manages the noise issue is a with a noise gate.

OD pedals do not work the same alone with solid state amps but can be used in the same manner as cranking a tube amp head if it's placed before
another drive or distortion pedal.

Jay_Clones said:
Poo, what amp did u use?

Hey, sorry i missed this post. I ran it through the drive section of my Kustom KGA65 and much later, through a Tri AC into the fx return. Yup, and so it didn't work out well. Others might have better luck with it though, who knows? :wink:

Latest posts

Back