Yamaha TRB 1006

it might have been easier if u'd put all your bass inquiries under one thread instead of spreading them all out over different threads.

and btw, it's THUMB not thump.

Hi Afterdeath.

Sorry for this late reply. I tried a Trans Black TRB1006 about a few months ago. here's my feedback:

Playability

For a 6 stringer, the fingerboard is medium-narrow. Compared to a Trb6ii or Trb Patitucci, its pretty narrow. But even so, it dosent really make it any easier to play than the 2 basses. The string tension is weird, probably uneven. Having a 35" scale like the Trb6ii makes it on the tighter side, whereas the Patitucci is 34" which makes fretting much easier. For fingerstyle playing, this bass should not be a problem, but for slappers, its a slight challenge. I have fat fingers, so poping the G string often might result in cuticle injury. Ouch.

Sound

Hmm. Its funny how yamaha usually provides crappy amps to try good basses on. I cannot really comment accurately on this one, as i'm an advocate of good 15" speakers for bass amps. But tonally, the Trb1006 isnt as dynamic as the Trb6ii or the Pattiucci. Its seemingly less appealing in the treble department. This is particularly a concern for 6 stringers. Lows wise, its probably 90% as desirable as the Trb6ii and slightly boomier than the Pattitucci, but I could be misjudging the bass thru that small amp.

Looks and Finish

its a Yamaha. That pretty much is a gurantee in this department. Translucent black would be a very nice color, as it beats the hell out of other basses with a simliar finish. Fingerprints wont be much of an issue with the Quilt maple top providing visual texture.

Electronics

The pots are pretty smooth, and can coax a variety of tones out of the bass. But it lacks on-the-fly versatilty compared to the Pattitucci and probably isnt as powerful as the trb6ii's.

I hope this helps.[/u]

Back