Which fingers do u use to do bendin'?

Yap....dats true....but the bending feeling dats gives the feel of the solo part. The best part is to bend n sustain for quite sumtime......if u can get feedback or noise.....it will be cool.....

yeah but bending is a vital tool in any guitarist's arsenal, so even if you're wearing the frets out, you still have to do it lol.

Although it'll take a very long time to wear the frets out, maybe 5 years or more.

Supporting is adding more fingers behind the main finger doing the bending so you're effectively bending with more fingers.

yeah .... it depends on which finger lands on the note i want to bend.

But during your practice routine .... you should plan out your fingering route in such a way that the bending note falls on the ring finger. Why?

Bending is done best when you have three fingers supporting together. Gives you strength an stability.

But of course you can't always do that because certain melody lines might not support that. You can also practice bending with all three fingers.

You can bend with pinky too, but i dun advise because there is a different purpose of using the pinky.

If you notice, most blues and rock riffs are played using the three finger position on the fingerboard. That's when most of the bending occurs.

The pinky is used in the four finger position on the fred board. This is commonly used for scaling ... speedy movements across the fretboard. Seldom bending.

Genres like Jazz and Classical guitar uses four finger position .... that is esteemed as the "proper" way of holding a fretboard. Of course, no way is the proper way.

But these different positions of 3 finger style, 4 finger style, whatever finger bending is really a study of ergonomics of the human hand. So do really what you are comfortable with. But most human hands are the same, so following conventional and proven methods might prove results.

Have fun. :)

yes... one of the most important things is makea habit to slide with ur ring finger... as much as possible as u can quickyl do a bend with 2 fingers behind (middle and index) after u slide finnish...

:wink:

you can bend with any finger, it just depends on what you're playing..ie some of my favorite bird-style jazz runs start with bends (although bending isn't very jazzy, sliding from a fret down sounds much more bop) which i like to do with the index because that sets up the rest of the run well..other runs end on bends which you can use your pinky for.

my favorite is a pinched double stop..it sounds really raunchy

and while you're at it how about eugene's trick bag

uhm..you play a double stop and bend it up but you pinch both strings as you play it..its a very steve vai sounding trick..or as nicky from vr told me once, it's a really "wanker-ish" sound

Bending in Jazz guitar is commonly found in morden jazz music like Larry Carlton or Reuben ford.

If you listen to more traditional like Be-Bop or swing .... Bending is almost non existent. Like Charlie Christian, Wes Montgomery, Herb Ellis, Barney Kussel, etc. Sliding or hammer offs would replace saxaphone lines that depicts tied notes (if you read scores). That's something piano can never do ... :)

Anyway, as i've said, bending should be done depending on where your fingers land .... mostly used on 3 fingers posture adopted by blues and rock player. Seldom by 4 finger posture used by jazz and classical.

Hello :)
I find it terribly cumbersome to mute the other strings while bending and I try to avoid doing so, even though it is necessary sometimes.
Any advice on muting the other strings while bending?

straighten your index finger to mute the other strings and use either your mid or ring finger to bend. That's what I always do. :lol:

Back