What Tubes do u use???

Weiht

Hi, am changing my 6l6gc soon, and was wondering what u guys use? I am currently considering either the JJ/telsa or SED. I heard many gd things abt them JJ tubes, but abit over my budget for now as i gotta ship them in.

Anyone knows anything or have experiences with SED?

Feels free to add any other experiences with any other tubes make or brands.. Better if can leave the lobang to get locally :)

thanks

I currently have an Electro Harmonix EL34 Power Tube and 2 Mullard NOS ECC83s (12ax7 equivalent.); they provide massive gain with a bit of fizzy top. The EL34 gives a warm mid.

Check out Well Audio at Burlington Square - he has hundreds of different types that he flogs to Hi-Fi enthusiasts. I'll check the URL tomorrow and you can browse online.

seriously.. someone have to come up tutorial for us beginners.. like 'know ur gears' and such stuff.. wad's a tube for? wad has it got to do with guitar~!? i feel so.. noob??

metalella_eh said:
seriously.. someone have to come up tutorial for us beginners.. like 'know ur gears' and such stuff.. wad's a tube for? wad has it got to do with guitar~!? i feel so.. noob??

Here is a link for some history and a little information (not totally unbiased) on tubes that you could read up.

http://www.watfordvalves.com/harma.htm

Some personal user reviews ..

Mook's Taste Tests of various tubes http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Tubes/MooksTasteTests/
Jeff Morris's 12AX7 and 6L6 comparisons http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Tubes/Morris/
Miles's Snack & Taste Tests http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Tubes/Miles/

I heard that the JJ preamps tubes are ok only, not as gd as their power tubes.

Groove tubes to me are overpriced!!! They are not manufacturers, they select and buy tubes from the manufacturers and match them... For preamp tubes no need to match or biase.

BTW, i installed new SED and boy do that kick ass out of the sovteks that was previously there. That tone is really vintage, clean, and distinct. Gd harmonics as well. It is slightly brighter as compared to the previous sovtek 6l6gc.

Will try the JJs next time round, but it will be quite a while :)

Any recommendations for gd 12AX7 from current makers? NOS are a abit too pricey for me at the moment...

Weiht said:
BTW, i installed new SED and boy do that kick ass out of the sovteks that was previously there. That tone is really vintage, clean, and distinct. Gd harmonics as well. It is slightly brighter as compared to the previous sovtek 6l6gc.

Will try the JJs next time round, but it will be quite a while :)

Any recommendations for gd 12AX7 from current makers? NOS are a abit too pricey for me at the moment...

Weiht,

Where did u purchase the SEDs (former Svelana's)?

I visited Well Audio yesterday and they said their Svetlana 6L6 tubes were sold out (so I got myself their Sovtek 5881s).

I'm giving the EI 12AX7, EH 12AX7 and the Mullard ECC81s a try. Will post feedback soon. The Mullard ECC81 is NOS and slightly lower in gain but is priced at SGD 20 versus the current preamp tubes at avg of SGD 10.

Oh i got the SED from a nice guy who ordered extra from THETUBESTORE.COM. Its a matched quad for SGD$80 only!!! Its the 'C' wing SED 6L6GC.

SED produce their tubes from the same factory as the old Svetlanas in Russia. The current Svetlanas that are in the mkt are different from the ones before, as they were bought over by another company. Thats what i gathered from research.

Wow the NOS mullards only SGD $20? All wells audio offer very gd price as compared to ordering overseas man..

I read that the Ei tubes has very bad QC... If you fortunate you can get very gd ones, but if you sway then you get those that will squeel n has bad microphonics.

Well your hear so many gd things about those NOS telefunken and RCA, you really wonder if the quality of the sound really so gd. I like the SEDs because i didnt know what to expect in the 1st place (Got it cuz its cheap n matched). Hopefully will sound much better after the tubes break in.

All the BEST with your testing:) Await for your results

BTW, if this help make my post/review on the SED more accurate , im using a 70s Bassman 135 with a jap fender and ibanez S540.

I recommend going with Sovtek 12AX7LPS for pre-amp and Sovtek EL84 (without M) for power-amp if you can find them. Cheap and good, really good.

where in sg would be the best place to buy tubes? heard there are a few shops in sim lim dealing in the stuff? any advice cos im thinking of changing the tubes in my peavey ultra 112 which uses 2 6l6 and 4 12ax7 tubes.

I'm using JJ 12AX7s and 6L6s in my hotrod deville, they really do have a nice high end response. Preamp gain sound is so-so, but i'm suspecting it has more to do with the amp than the tubes.

groove tubes are rubbish, the stock GT tubes that came with my deville lacked character and response. the JJs were like a breath of fresh air after the stifling congestedness of the GTs.

i got my JJs thru a friend, but i'm told that hifi audio shops are great places to get tubes... and the well audio place in burlington comes well recommended, apparently.

ive got a set of JJs - the 5150 tune up kit from euro tubes.... but havent had time to swap em out. haha...

Latest posts

Back