What makes a song great for u?

my band's singer and i sometimes like writing happy tunes with sad lyrics to present a dichotomy. this is an obvious third eye blind influence. if you haven't already noticed by now, i'm a huge third eye blind fan. haha. yep. seen them play live twice, flew up to new york to meet them, have their autographs and their drummer Brad is on my aol instant messenger list. hahah. 3eb is totally awesome. :D

Hmm

kewl. happy tune w sad lyrics or sad tune w happy lyrics.

maybe i shld try someday. my song writing skills not dat good yet.

Songs which hit the emotions. Both pumped up - certain melodic metal bands and soft - largely instrumentals.

Hmm

I was invited to a JC Musical Competition by my frens & there are quite a handful of bands there playing. The songs they played were mainly originals & nice to hear, but they hit e solo, super long, dull & like damn boring & I saw e guitarist lyk too engrossed to even do anything abt it.

Solos are good thing that pumps vibe into the songs, any idea as to how Solos be effectively projected across to the people without sounding boring or draggy?

I mean if a band gon play 10 whole songs w lyk 1-2 mins solo per songs, ull be lyk yawning by e end of e performance. Correct me if im wrong.

keep the solo short and sweet. if you want a long solo, put it at the end of the song so people can leave.

or you could just release a solo album full of wankery (ala Vai)

Frozen said:
I like catchy songs, songs with a good melody/drum beat, and good vocals count too (don't mind heavy metal vocals but something like the strokes' vocalist is pretty bad).

Good songs just makes you want to listen to it over and over again.

different people different thing for sure.. i dont find the strokes' singer bad in anyway.. he sings it that way in that type of music.. thats what made their music unique.

Hmm

Seem like I got lotsa things to learn. My band still cant find any good vocalist to sing our genre of music.

Yes Sir

I agree, but dun u tink the tune hafta flow w e lyrics in order to make it into a good song bec a song is not a song, without the lyrics AND the music.

well dat part i agree but u gotta hav to noe wad the song is abt b4 u do the melody, the theme of the song etc. datz how i do it, it varies frm person to person, cuz i like the "feel" the lyrics b4 coming up with a melody, if melody doesnt work out, i'll hav to change here n dere, but personally, i'll start on lyrics 1st :wink:

Ooh

I alway start w e tunes bec I feel that its alway e music that will capture people's attention 1st, then e lyrics... However, if the tune is powered up & e lyrics lyk "tiao" den it defeats e purpose of e wonderful tune.

My band will be recording heavy in July. Hope to put up some demos so dat u guys can gif me some feedbacks.

Well the arrangement and the lyrics makes or break a song.... Songs that i think have great arrangement are:

Alive by Pearl Jam
Paranoid Android by Radiohead
With or Without U by U2
Black by Pearl Jam

Songs with good lyrics:

I am Mine by Pearl Jam
Let it Be by Beatles
Daughter by Pearl Jam
Most Radiohead songs

8)

Latest posts

Back