What makes a song great for u?

lppier

For me, the chord structure doesn't have to be complicated, the guitar solos dont have to be 180bpm, but the lyrics have to be good. The vocalist has to bring the song out. I love it when songs make me cry. (ok i admit i'm a wussy guy) Basically, for a song to be great for me, it has to move me. Amazing guitar work is a plus but not a necessity.
One of the songs I really like is Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead.
Another would be Fly Away by Corrine May.
The Drugs Don't Work by The Verve.

Pier.

Hmmm it depends for me. Likewise, most important are the lyrics. It can be the most sinple song in terms of arrangement, but if it has lyrics that hit you or make you smile then its a good song to me. I love Suede's The Living Dead and MSP's 4st 7lb. But then if the instument work is super powerful then a good song is when the lyrics dont matter. For me an example will be Muse's Hysteria.

i love songs with good musical arrangement. bands like Taking Back Sunday or Third Eye Blind which have really good multiple vocal and guitar arrangements, As I Lay Dying for its really catchy but heavy music, 311 for its funk-metal fusion, Black Eyed Peas and Gorrilaz for their innovative beats and music, etc.

i like innovation and good musical arrangement mixed with catchy hooks.

As for me...

Hi all,

Hope u dun mind hearing some 10cent feedback of mine.

As for me, I believe that a good song should poessess both lyrical as well as musical excellence, in the sense that people can catch the tune easily & relate themselves into the songs. I'm all about that, getting interactive with the people through e songs.

For lyrics wise, I agree w lppier that good lyrics would enable the vocalist to bring out the emotion of the song, be it happy or sad.

For musical aspects, I go with serialninja in the sense people would often or not listen to songs w catchy tunes even if the lyrics are not that fascinating. My band bassist alway ask me listen to some weird songs with kewl tunes, but the lyrics somehow didn't capture my attention.

So if we can write songs w both aspects fully taken care of, den i blif that every local workpieces wld be worthed a listening ear :)

I love Third Eye Blind too. I think their songs are very well arranged for guitar.
Their lyrics are not half-bad too.

Pier.

serialninja said:
i love songs with good musical arrangement. bands like Taking Back Sunday or Third Eye Blind which have really good multiple vocal and guitar arrangements, As I Lay Dying for its really catchy but heavy music, 311 for its funk-metal fusion, Black Eyed Peas and Gorrilaz for their innovative beats and music, etc.

i like innovation and good musical arrangement mixed with catchy hooks.

rite now, i'm listening 2 ZONE's songs n it's sung in jap....... got a few songs like rocking n bibble still running in my mind even when i'm not listening....... :wink:

:twisted:

afterdeath said:
hmm...... i dun really look into the lyrics....... i'm more into the melody n music....... :eek:

:twisted:

Yup.. For me, I'm more into the melody... Lyrics come second. Certain melodic will get stuck in your head for weeks and u can continues to hum it out.. humhumhumhum..

I like catchy songs, songs with a good melody/drum beat, and good vocals count too (don't mind heavy metal vocals but something like the strokes' vocalist is pretty bad).

Good songs just makes you want to listen to it over and over again.

I write my own lyrics so naturally when I hear a song , the first thing I look out for is the lyrics :)

I came across some songs which have wonderful melodies and music arrangement but the lyrics are total crap.

Kewl

I'd go for melodies 1st, den match e lyrics to e tune.

If the song is EMO, then e lyrics wld go in e EMO direction.

If the song is JUMPY, then e lyrics wld go in e HYPER direction.

Thats my style :) What abt u guys?

Re: Kewl

neuro182 said:
I'd go for melodies 1st, den match e lyrics to e tune.

If the song is EMO, then e lyrics wld go in e EMO direction.

If the song is JUMPY, then e lyrics wld go in e HYPER direction.

Thats my style :) What abt u guys?

Same here..

Latest posts

Back