what chord is this?????

fenderrules

ive been playing this chord ever since ive formed the shape. it sounded a bit off but has that modern indie rock feeling...i dunno..i could be wrong...

anyway, this is what it looks like..

x
x
x

dunno what this chord is. but i know it has some relation to G as the note on the 5th fret of the D string is equivalent to a G note.

really sorry if im spouting nonsense but im really curious.

You are playing the following notes.

G, D, F#

Now... G and D make up a power chord or a 5th chord. Add the F#, which is the 7th note in the G major scale, you are colouring (tonewise) your power chord with it.

In this case, the closest chord there is, is a Gmaj7 chord which is G, B, D, F#... but you don't have the B (the 3rd) so ... you are playing a...

Gmaj7 (no 3rd)

What kind of guitarist? Well anyone can! It makes your power chords sound richer and different.. such colouring is the cornerstone of melodic rock.

The chord in full should be ...

x
x

it's actually a D/G .... the notes from strings 1 to 3 is a D. The forth string holds a G bass. The Chord you played is without a fifth .... which is A on the first string.

It's a chord used in Pop songs .... it's called a Hybrid.

hmmm? correct me if i got it wrong guitarman, but what you said would only apply if there was the A note right?

I'm curious to how you got to your answer...

oh okay

so, are there any other hybrid chord shapes in different notes as well?? if so, how do they look like???

sonicedge band (a christian band in singapore, if youve heard of them) uses a similar hybrid chord but it was in D. and it really has that indie rock, pop tone. i would really like to know how the shape looks like. the song i listened from is called track 1: grateful by the sonicedge band album grateful

oops i just realised...i typed wrongly...

D is supposed to be a G i saw it wrongly!

so it isnt' Dmaj7

LOL sorry sorry!!! :oops:

you can try playing this ....

x
x

This will give you the full D/G.
It's found in many Vinyard songs .... like Matt redman and hill Songs.

Other hybrids are like ...

A/C#
x
x

D/F#
x
x

A/G
x
x

Try this:

|A/G |D2/F# F6|

It's a hillsong progression ... intro for that's what we came here for.

you can't omit a 3rd note because it will take away the colour of the Chord. Without 3rd it will no longer be Gmaj7. But the 5th can be omitted without taking away the mood ... like if you play a G13 on the guitar ... you take away the D, but you definitely need the B note ... or else it won't souund like G13 anymore.

The Chord that fenderrules described sounds more like D/G ... which is one note short of Gmaj7. In this case .. 5th is omitted but acceptable.

Latest posts

Back