WAVE --> MP3 Software?

I think it is all GUI preference. Many of them use LAME as the conversion engine (which is supposed to be better than Fraunhofer used by many common converters like WMP, I believe). LAME is also free. For a while it was taken off due to copyright issues (some were not happy about them offering free mp3 conversions). But it seems to be back since Audacity is also using LAME and is offering it for free as well. So they must have sorted out the legal issues - hopefully.

LAME also has a front-end - RazorLAME (http://www.dors.de/razorlame/index.php). I used to use that. Easy and fast. I stopped using when LAME was taken off. But now that they are back, I may get back to it.

Furthermore, LAME is constantly being improved with latest versions coming up all the time.

Thanks Indigo blues

sorry for late reply haha a bit busy. I was thinking i dont know why everytime i had mixed finished a song using cubase le, the level of the sound is lower than those other songs in the mp3. U dont have this prob? I got to covert into wav, then use another free program to convert back to mp3 then use audacity to open the mp3 file to gain the level, then convert wav again and convert back to mp3 using that same free program(sound so stupid right hahaha). Is there any advice? Tks once again.

Using the original wav, open it up in audacity and give it some compression and limiting. Depending on the original type of music (house? rock? new age?) and the elements in the track, you change the settings on your compressor and hard limiter in audacity.

Once you're satisfied with the wav, only then convert into high quality mp3 (say at least 256 kbps). Don't convert back and forth.

If all else fails, I could try to do the above steps for you (mastering) on my system, if you send me the file.

shawn040 said:
I was thinking i dont know why everytime i had mixed finished a song using cubase le, the level of the sound is lower than those other songs in the mp3.

Did you normalise the song within Cubase?

I have a feeling that even normalising wouldn't make the track loud enough. Why don't you give it a try? No harm spending a few minutes to experiment.

Hi

i had tried normalise. Yes the signal indeed is louder. But the waveform seem to be out of peak. And i see my mixer o/p already in red peak! I think it will affect the sound. What shall i do? Any help for ppl here using Cubase LE whether they experience this kind of thing?

open up the mixing console (F2) i think then check the bus output levels.. maybe you accidentally fiddled with the bus outputs? Thats all i can think of at the moment.. :?

and shawn, why do u have to convert to wave and mp3 so many times?? cubase can read wave and mp3 so its just a simple import. Like cheez suggested, think u should do your normalising within cubase.. save u a lot of headache.

If the signal is peaking, then it isn't normalized. Normalization, if I understand correctly, is jacking the signal up to a level where the highest point in the waveform is nicely at 0dB. Of course, after making the changes, you might realise that the track is once again too soft. Then, it's time to apply compression and all that mastering stuff.

I understand that normalisation really save me a lot of trouble. But only in redoing recording. I got to redo my recording becos old tracks got a lot of copy and paste here n there, when i normalise it gives different level of sound which make me very headacne haha. But i realise crash cymbal most of time make my master o/p mixer in red peak. Have to redo i guess...:(

Thanks a lot for all your help. :)

That's why, you should compress and/or limit your incoming signal, especially on the drum recording. Get yourself a cheap hardware compressor (like the Alesis 3630) and set it up properly, and compress it further, if needed, in the software sequencer.

That way, you get the punchy crunchy drums without the peaky crashes.

Latest posts

Back