Using scores or free expression(play by ear/how it sounds)?

RockPiano

i personally feel that scores are the fundamental basis of a musician, he/she needs to know how to read them. As for myself, i'm really slow at it man, thus i have always trained myself to play by ear-->leading to free expression of music.

FRee expression allows me to fully express myself for how i'm feeling during a certain period of time, a certain place. Scores only constrains me to 5 lines , can't really bring out skills to the fullest potential.

FRee expression-- allows us to come up with our own progressions, come up with our own tunes and music. It is fun figuring out how different chords and keys go together at any one time.

Sight-reading was one thing i never could handle, i guess i'm a pretty audio-inclined person, not a visual one so i can't really catch visual stuff all that quickly.

This is my opinion of the subject:)

well there are different type of musician with different preference.. and yea i get wat u mean.. as for me.. i hope to read as well as using my ears to listen more.. and figure things out.. but i feel tht its essential to noe both?.. i feel tht it will be cool to experiment more.. when u noe how to do both things well enuff.. freedom of expression is a must to me.. cuz thts wat music is all abt.. an expression of wat u feel and how u feel.. or wat u view things around u...

after joining bands ... 80% of the songs i know are learnt by ears

It is true that being able to play by ear and express yourself through improvisation is an invaluable asset to musicians ... music are better played with your left brain rather than with your right brain.

but it's kind of difficult to just rely on ear and improvising ... cos it would be difficult to remember the licks that have just been created ... cos i would forget on the licks after some time ... unless i play it regularly .. that's why it is good to write it down so when you create a nice arrangement or progression, you will always know how it goes

always amazed at musicians who completely relies on the ears alone

making arrangement for the band would also be a breeze if only the whole band can read scores (especially making parts where everyone is harmonizing each other) ... furthermore you will have less worries of everybody not knowing their part (but i prefer relying on JUST WHACK and FEEL when playing in a band).

I kinda regret for getting lost with my classical background after playing too much with ear ( just don't have the talent to survive completely relying on ear :cry:) .. so now relearning and relies more on the scores once more ... and then i found that learning through scores has it's own fun too ... It is fun to figure out how others construct their improvisation, their approach in song writing, how they build the progression, how others phrase the solos (learnt a lot from charlie parker) and many more things that can be find ... you can learn a lot of thing from drum scores too (accenting and rhythmic pattern are some examples that can be applied to piano).

well, to each of his own i guess

Re: Using scores or free expression(play by ear/how it sound

RockPiano said:
Sight-reading was one thing i never could handle, i guess i'm a pretty audio-inclined person, not a visual one so i can't really catch visual stuff all that quickly.

This is my opinion of the subject:)

Not to criticize you or anyone, but sight reading being 'visual' is sometimes misunderstood. Remember in your school days how some choir people can just pickup any score and sing the melody. That's because, they are not just reading, they are hearing the music in their heads and can sing out the note. Its not too different from reading a language. Most very good sight readers can read fast precisely because they can hear what they are reading. Of course there are those who rely on a completely 'visual' aspect, but IMHO, they don't develop musically that way.

Re: Using scores or free expression(play by ear/how it sound

Ablue said:
Its not too different from reading a language. Most very good sight readers can read fast precisely because they can hear what they are reading. Of course there are those who rely on a completely 'visual' aspect, but IMHO, they don't develop musically that way.

I agree with that. That's why it is good to train to sight-sing. I remember in my MEP days when I had to go through scoes after scores. After a while, I began borrowing scores from the library and listen to CD's following it, just for enjoyment. After going through lots of scores, you just have to look at one score (with 15 different instruments) and you can "hear" each instrument playing it's part when you read it.

Conversely, playing by ear can also be "unexpressive" - ie basically imitating what you hear. But then no creativity. I heard a number who "play by ear" and, let me tell you, the music just sound dead.

So, good to have both skills, like what keyboardman is saying. That will add to your versatility. Can't tell you how many times sight-reading has saved me - especially in emergency situations. Had to play a new piece on the spot, nobody heard it before, nobody played it before - live situation.

i cant read 'taugehs' at all. i cant even read tabs that fast. but hopefully i can 'read' what u r playing and immediately play it back to u. hit any keys and i play along with u on the spot.

and i dont tink u'll tend to immitate if u play by ear. if u r a kind of guy who is original, u'll always be original. watever it is, be comfortable when playing music. there is no right or wrong.

when u feel it
when u r high
only ur fingers know where they r supposed to be.
take :weedman:

what musician would not use all available resources, knowledge and skills at hand to better hone his craft? nothing is absolutely useless. there's always something to learn from any music and whatever expertise is required for to play it.

+ many many. Just keep on playing your favorite licks and apply it during jamming man.

I dont follow the solos in songs i jam with my band. Just anyhow whack, but they are licks i am familiar with, so its still ok.

iansoh said:
what musician would not use all available resources, knowledge and skills at hand to better hone his craft?

someone who dont care bout aniting else..hates reading. someoe who juz wanna play music i guess.

It all depends on different individual i guess ...there are people who feels that they are good enough that there are no more need for improvement that they can concentrate in just playing music ... But there are also people who keeps on trying something new and improve their skills so that they can express themselves more freely and make better music.

yeah like u said..to each his own.
there r ppl who r juz lazy to read bcoz they r slow at it...some juz dont wanna learn. . and some ppl including me dont even bother to look at it coz like i said they juz wanna play. some ppl dont see the need until one day they realise they have to be good at it.
but its good if u know everything..

For those who can't read~

I can't read music either, but am trying to learn. Anyway, for you guys who don't read, what are the licks that u usually use? how do you practice, or use the licks on all 12 keys?

I envy those who have perfect pitch, i can hear and remember tunes in my head, but have to fumble across the notes to find the right key.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back