Hillary Ang
Slash
Marty Friedman
Noel Gallagher
Steve Vai
John Petrucci
Jesper Stromblad
Andy Timmons

Tony Iommi(can't believe no one here wrote him down yet, but then again not many Singaporeans listen and enjoy Sabbath)

I believe this is top guitar influences, so in terms of influence I don't see the point of writing stuff like Malmsteen cause he hasn't influenced me at all, except for maybe a little bit of lead playing. In that area I can say Paul Gilbert is a much bigger influence.

To be honest shredders like Paul Gilbert and Yngwie Malmsteen don't influence me much (no offense to the many fans here). Rather, I get influenced by those I see to really stand out in terms of the music they write, their playing style, etc. Versatility is also something I see in those I am influenced by.

I can't say Tony Iommi was a big influence on my playing because for most of the time I've been playing, I've been into either the blues, or really intense stuff like death metal. Recently, though, he's become a minor influence for me because I'm not into speed anymore. Sabbath's riffs are the perfect stoner riffs. Slow and heavy. Pity though, I can't play Sabbath stuff because I'm not a big fan of downtuning. But he has influenced the way I play metal to quite a big extent recently.

So yeah, thanks for reminding me! I'll name him as an influence for me too.

my dad.. =) not a really good player but yeah, he is the one who triggles the guitar intrest in me.. *love daddy*

steve morse - on how to make wrong notes sound correct
nuno bettencourt - funk funk funk! if u don't like wat u c here, get the funk out!
paul gilbert - string skipping
malmsteen - arpeggio sweeping
joe satriani/richie kotzen - legato
most jrock guitarists - rhythm playing

John Petrucci - Influenced my alt. picking technique and speed picking.
Matt Kiichi Heafy - Awesome metal riffings! Influenced my muting and gallop techniques.
Alexi Laiho - His sweep and tap technique is freakin' killer that I get killed learning it haha.
Dimebag Darrell (R.I.P) - Really great metal shredder with a big heart. Influenced my pentatonic playing besides Kirk Hammett.
Yngwie Malmsteen - Influences my speed and those ascending and descending harmonic/natural minor runs.
Marty Friedman - Influenced me to be myself in my playing.

Bored as hell in the office and might as well contribute ....
Here's my TOP 8

1. Slash ( learnt that string bending can work in astonishing effects. You don't need to play like a speed demon. its all in the style )

2. Paul Gibert ( Speed Picking! )

3. Steve Vai ( Taught me to use the whammy bar and use of slides in solos produce different results )

4. SRV ( Taught me that blues can sound really cool. Rakes can be used in similiar penatonic scales with different variations surrounding it. King of tone! )

5. John Mayer ( Made me want to improve on my tone quest. Love his tone )

6. Dave Grohl ( Taught me unique chord progression )

7. James Hetfield / Kurt Kobain ( Here's a tie! Taught me to play and sing. Sometimes its not easy doing both at the same time with wild chord progression and riffs going on. Sometimes the brain just don't function with so many things going on )

8. Nuno Battencourt ( Taught me that about those double stop pinch harmonics. Love his tone too )

Damn!! Not time to go home yet ...... 15 mins short...
Hehehehe

Last edited:
My Top Guitar Influences:

Tom Morello
Jerry Horton
Mark Tremonti
John Petrucci
Joe Satriani
Paul Gilbert
Adrian Smith
Dave Mustaine
Marty Friedman
Dan Jacobs
Adam Dutkiewicz

Frank Gambale
Guthrie Govan
Joe Satriani
Tommy Emmanuel
Jake Shimabukuro
Buckethead
Eric Johnson
Richie Kotzen
Shawn Lane
Richie Sambora

(Just to name the first that come to mind)

Eric Clapton
John Mayer
Paul Gilbert
Buckethead
Rhody Roads
Tommy Emmanuel
Eric Johnson
Joe Satiani
MAB
Malmsteen
Jimmy Hendrix

Those are the ones I can think of at the top of my head.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back