Sweet Roland Juno-G

Wow! if the price is less than SG$1800, quite a worthy buy,
a synth to bring around for jamming and gigs.

bongman said:
Wow! if the price is less than SG$1800, quite a worthy buy,
a synth to bring around for jamming and gigs.

Triton Le 61 was just slightly cheaper when it was released 5 years ago.

Triton Specs (vs Juno-G)
Only 32 Mb of ROM sounds. (vs 64 Mb)
62 notes polyphony. (vs 128 notes)
Audio recording function optional (vs built in)
No expansion via insertion of a sound expansion card. (vs 1 SRX expansion slot)

Juno-G looks like a very good deal compared with what was on offer in the price range 5 years ago. Oh, the march of technology.

Wonder what we'll get in 5 years time.

Cheez said:
Other than the outside, I see no resemblance to the original Juno-106 analog synth at all..

Actually, it's not an insult to the Juno 106. The Juno 106 series suffer from a common problem...the cursed A1QH800170 or A1QH80017A VCF/VCA CHIP problem. This CHIP is bound to fail at one point in time. With this CHIP failing, instead of a 6-voice poly synth, you will only hear lesser voices sounding due to the failed CHIP. To replace these CHIPs ? Go to http://synthrestore.co.uk/products.htm, they cost UKP50 each !!! Not to mention the Service Cost on top of that...Imagine you need to change all 6 CHIPs, just to make the synth working again...Don't bother checking with SL as I have already done so a long time ago. Here's their reply: "Discon'd products = NO spare parts, Sorry!" :-(
I had to order all my CHIPs from overseas and have them replaced myself (just to cut down on repair costs)!

Here's why Roland decided to relaunch the Juno. Another factor maybe due to the rising second-hand prices. Instead of letting brokers make more, why don't we (Roland Corp) relaunch the Juno with no VCF/VCA problems whatsoever, throw in a couple of modern-day controls and rebadge it Juno-D ? Sound good ? Here you have it...Your all new Roland Juno-D but wait a minute, here comes the even newer Juno-G !!! http://www.roland.co.jp/products/mi/JUNO-G.html

I personally think that Roland products are cutting edge tech stuff, well ahead of its time, while Korg and Yamaha is playing more on the safe side (doing proper market research before designing and/or launching/relaunching any product). That said, I must confess that I am an ardent Roland fan and user. The VP9000 and VariOS are destined to become CLASSICS one day due to their architechture. Name me a synth manufacturer that is still surviving from the 70s and makes fantastic modern day instruments and have a good sense of vision ahead. Roland. What I can't figure out is why they have not relaunched the hardware TB-303 yet. Perhaps, it's due to the high R&D and production costs involved...! Anyway, I am happy with mine and won't settle for a modern-day digital clone or re-release version. I am also very happy with my MIDIed JP8 although I don't mind trying out a clone/re-release version (if Roland ever makes them) to hear if they sound as authenthic as their analog siblings. The JP8000 sounded very far from the JP8, nothing close at all, although they do not have the OSC drift problems.

Anyway, Happy composing...! :)

Wow! AnalogPurist, you must be one true blue analog guy!

Since I'm not an analog person, perhaps you can help me understand something. Even though the older Juno chip is not perfect (seeing that it is really ancient technology), the imperfectness does give it that warm and grittiness, doesn't it? I'm not sure if the Juno G is anything like the old Juno - on the inside that is. I'm quite sure they will be using different ways to try to reproduce some of the old Juno sounds. And also, I think the Juno-G is not entirely analog either and their focus is not getting making a better Juno.

What do you think?

Actually, it is NOT due to the old technology that the Roland Junos have this problem. I think I read somewhere that the failing CHIP was due to either a bad design or bad manufacturing...

I am not too sure if it was Roland's intention to make a better Juno but come to think of it, there isn't any successful softsynth Juno style.

Many of my musician friends overseas still swear by the Juno 106...

Roland is obviously using the name "Juno" for it's own purposes. Take the Juno D. It's has absolutely nothing to do with Juno. I believe the same goes for the Juno-G. Roland says that the engine is same as that of the Fantom. I guess it is a good lower cost keyboard to get the Fantom sounds. But other than the look, I wonder if there's anything else simlar to the Juno on the inside.

The Juno-D is more puzzling - it doesn't resemble the Juno on the OUTSIDE and the INSIDE! So in the end, it's a marketing game...maybe.

Of course, this is not to say that they are not good keyboards.

Personally, I would not want to buy any more old Juno 106 (although I do own a couple) not because it does not sound good. It sounds great, is easy to work on, is a 6-note poly synth and can be used as a simple master keyboard. The problem is maintenance...VERY costly. I am still keeping mine for old time's sake and they are all gathering dust in the store.

Back