Strat VS Tele

its still a tele. just that its not one thats the usual/traditionally perceived.

just like ppl who claim that a strat is only a strat when it has 3 vintage single coils....

No they're not. Teles and Strats are defined by not just their body shapes, but also the characteristics of their tones and formats. Change the SSS to SSH, and it's not a strat per-se.

I'm not just talking about corksniffing here. I'm talking about a guitar that defined an era of music. THAT guitar, is a traditional strat, or a traditional tele.

That's why an EMG loaded Les Paul is also not exactly accurate, becasue the format that defined an era of music is that one with 2 HBs which are PAFs, or Patent Numbered HBs.

But that's for now, and that's due to change in the far future.

Think of it this way. Is an SSS RG fixed bridge still considered a true RG? or should it be a HSH Edge loaded RG that defined that 80s era?

Well, your opinion is just like how only Fender can call their guitars by the trademark "Strat" and "Tele"...likewise Gibson can only name their guitars "Les Paul"...

Nowadays, Fender just goes by namesake for easier classification, the Jim Root Tele is called a Telecaster, as seen on the Fender website and catalog.

The debate can rage on about these "traditional" guitars that defined an era, but if Fender itself chooses to continue to name an EMG loaded tele a tele, well then its kinda ambiguous isnt it? Which is why I say its how you choose to perceive things - and for convenience's sake.

btw, I follow what what Fender officially chooses to christen their guitars. Of course there'd be purists(or corksniffers, as you say) who'd insist that only a strat with 3 single coils can only be labelled as a "Strat".

For me, its either your "strat" is one kept in a traditional configuration (SSS) or modern (HSS). As long as its a Fender and bears the name "stratocaster" - its still a strat in its namesake. Thats how I perceive it - its cool if you dont see it my way.

Last edited:
Well, your opinion is just like how only Fender can call their guitars by the trademark "Strat" and "Tele"...likewise Gibson can only name their guitars "Les Paul"...

No, I didn't mention Fender in my post about classifying the guitars, did I? ;)

I was referring to a specific tone. People identify that tone with a particular guitar rather than a manufacturer. You can get the same tone (of sorts) with a SSS Suhr, or an SSS EBMM. In essence, that tone, is what defines a strat. That same tone is also what defines an era of music.

Likewise, there are reasons why a PRS Custom 22 will not sound the same as a Les Paul, but an Edwards or Tokai might. Because of the resultant tone derived from the form factor. Not the maker.

The same way, a HSS or HSH 21 or 22 fret bolt-on with floyd rose is labelled as a super-strat. Fender called that 2 names. The HM-strat, or in the 80s, simply the "Strat".

Fender will name all their strat-like guitars as strats, because they own the copyrights to that name, and will kill themselves if they name it something else.

But whatever they name their guitars, that signature tone regardless of make, will always be identified as a classic stratocaster tone. Even though Mark knopfler played a Pensa Suhr back then actually...;)

And SRV? Played a LOT of other make guitars which were also SSS (Main, which had 3 EMGs in it, and Charley with the Danelectro lipstick pups). Yet most people think they were all hearing No.1 or Lenny.

Last edited:
No, I didn't mention Fender in my post about classifying the guitars, did I? ;)

I was referring to a specific tone. People identify that tone with a particular guitar rather than a manufacturer. You can get the same tone (of sorts) with a SSS Suhr, or an SSS EBMM. In essence, that tone, is what defines a strat. That same tone is also what defines an era of music.

Ah ok...different things my bad. But still, brand name is associated strongly with tone. You wont find someone saying that "oh, gilmour used a suhr or EBMM" although I remembered he did. He most strongly associated with a fender strat tone loaded with emgs in Pink Floyd.

I wouldnt really go to the extent of saying a certain tone that defines an era of music...cos to me that is quite subjective, and plus whatever you see most artistes being pictured with or iconically associated, aka SRV, used many different guitars and gears as well.

I agree in general that as far as the associations go that is a valid point. But gear junkies like us know better.

Oh and btw, I wouldnt consider the tone that a Suhr gives out a "classic strat" kind of tone. Which is why I find this is rather subjective. Although most of the artistes strangely sound very much like themselves even when using different guitars.... so I guess tone is in the fingers....and amp!

Last edited:
Oh and btw, I wouldnt consider the tone that a Suhr gives out a "classic strat" kind of tone.

That's cos you're thinking of the Suhr Pro series. The Classic and Antique series as well as DeTemples and D'Pergos are very much strat-like in every way...

Well I tried a very nice Suhr Classic... but it dint knock on me as well as a a Fender 57 vintage reissue, for instance. Or maybe the one I tried was a knockoff, I should go play a few more.

Strat like, well yes thats probably the intended vibe I agree.

That being said, I tried a couple of Tylers and they were strat-like in every way - and blew me away. I'd like to try a Detemple...heard alot of awesome stuff about their guitars! I'm just not too impressed with what Suhr is putting out - I guess its a matter of personal preference.

Go get that Detemple la! Shouldnt be a problem since you got all those EBMMs and that upcoming sheroder.... and dont forget to let me try ah :evil:

Go get that Detemple la! Shouldnt be a problem since you got all those EBMMs and that upcoming sheroder.... and dont forget to let me try ah :evil:

Not sure I'm willing to spend that much for a strat-like guitar... After my 1st Schroeder arrives, I just might ask him to make a 7 string for me. Also LP-styled.

Back