Some1 please help me get rid of those SUSTAIN....

murderdolls

guys i got a problem on my all toms. i used remo whetherking pinstripe. and quiet alot of ppl said pinstripe always sound very less sustain. BUT when i hit my tom it will RING like hell. and my all toms dont hav reso head cuz previous seller lost it. so should i get a reso head to make it sound less sustain ?

( With reso head sound more dry ? or without reso head sound more dry ? )

guys i got a problem on my all toms. i used remo whetherking pinstripe. and quiet alot of ppl said pinstripe always sound very less sustain. BUT when i hit my tom it will RING like hell. and my all toms dont hav reso head cuz previous seller lost it. so should i get a reso head to make it sound less sustain ?

o_O my 1st time helping some1 here :p

i have this problem and i use exactly the same heads
i recently purchased some Evans E-Rings which u just place on the drums and it fixes it :)
you can also use remOs which are basically the same and im sure there are others

some1 also told me about something called MoonGel which does a similar thing

but i fell in love with my drums ever since i bought the e-rings :)

and my all toms dont hav reso head cuz previous seller lost it. so should i get a reso head to make it sound less sustain ?

Go get resonant heads for ur set first. There's no point in getting all those tapes/moongells or watsoever if there's no resonant head.

Sustain or overtones are part and parcel of drums. Unless, u want ur drums to sound dead like cardboards, then just get those cardboards and fix it to your drums.

Learn the fundamentals of drum tunings. There's numerous guides all over the internet for u to do your research. There's no standard tuning fro drums. What sounds good to your ears are adequate enough.

And feel free to join Soft Drum Exchange in the future to gain tips from other drummers. No point in emulating or trying to be your favourite drummer when there's no basic knowledge..

hey murderdolls

i think your too obsessed with getting the toms to sound 'dry', no offense though. as was stated above, i'd suggest you to get reso heads for your toms first, but if your definition of 'dry' means without overtones, you can basically plaster masking tape or moongels or o-rings on the heads.

for me, overly dry drumheads will just sound bad. it's like you chucking a drumstick on the head and it makes a hollow, dead sound. i use Evans EC-2 Clears myself and i've found that even with proper tuning, the overtones are not killed enough for my satisfaction (i think i'll stay clear of these next time), so i use a wad of tissue paper taped to the head. it sounds awesome this way, with a clear stick-on-head sound, and a full, round sound to it that doesn't leave it sounding dead. previous experience with o-rings and moongels and basically gels are not too satisfactory, they just sound too dead.

Firstly, I've seen you posts some questions repeatedly on the forum with regards to buying of drum stuff and things like that. We do not know the price and can only tell you WHATEVER drum parts you need or require, PLS call either RANKING, SWEE LEE or MUSIC THEME or DRUM RESOURCES. They should already have what you need, and post only if you need extra help. We're a drum community here, we do not sell items here.

Second, the drums will sound nothing like the actual drums you hear on tracks. They are processed, EQ-ed to make it sound digestable for listening. You do NOT want toms to sound dead. If that case, you should really consider cardboards. You definitely need a resonant head on it or else it'll sound like some timbale. To get rid of excessive overtones, you can use Remo-rings and just put on top OR use tapes OR moongels. Remos Powerstroke3 with a single layer of muffling ring or Remo Emperor (double ply head) are options to reduce overtones BUT NOT ALL. Seriously, the overtones are good because they are drums not cardboard. Your worries are justified if your toms ring forever!!!!

Last edited:
hey bro, yeah i wld agree that u shld get some reso head first. once u do, try it out first to see if u like the sounds. personally i feel that toms shld have some overtones, not to much but not to damp, allow ur tom's to "sing" hahas thats wat i was told. neways, juz to share with you, iam using remo pinestrips as well. the clear ones with black strips. plus i added some remo O rings which have made my toms resonant to my liking. how i tune them is pretty simple. tune both side to abt the same tune, then decide whter u like the top side to be tighter of loose. i tune mine loose, experiment ah bro, thats what i did with my toms. cheers man

+100 drumsolo86

Totally agree with him, your posts/threads are getting a little out of hand :(

He'll get the msg somehow.. But hey, don't get discouraged. Drumming is supposed to be fun!!! How can one have fun if they worry too much...

Back