Singapore Bands: READ THIS.

I am looking for a band to play in my club. Play 6 nights a week, 3 sets per night, Mon to Sat. No payment. Anybody interested?

Tera wrote:

but it doesnt mean u make use of musicians here without paying. its just plain cheapskate in my opinion, everyone deserves something in return for what they do, unless u volunteer to do it for free.

Tera you still dont get the point. Okay lemme just give you a scenario.

You decided to form a band. Okay, the band jam frequently, everything sound tight and you are ready for a gig. You ask an organizer for a slot or maybe if you had your contacts, the organizer calls you.

It's your first gig. Do you think that you should be paid for your first gig when absolutely no one has heard about your music & your band and what you are capable of producing?

Its like you get a job in a company and on the first day of work you ask your boss to pays you? Is that logical?

sombody wrote:

there really isnt anything wrong when a band asks if they're to be paid for performing at a gig.

True. It isn't wrong. But I'm emphasizing on newly emerged bands not established bands. The latter should be paid if they are capable of getting a good crowd going.

fenderfan wrote:

azlyjacaz, if all that you have said is entire true without exaggeration, I am 100% behind you (except for your flowery expressions). but personally I have come across alot of bands that will play for nothing.

I assure this happened recently that's why I am so pissed off.

If any of you guys are interested in getting a slot for gig, private message me and I'll give you the details. [/quote]

free beer or some sort of small allowance would be good for even the starting bands.

I'm sure there are plenty of bands who are willing to gig for free. Threadstarter need not be too angry and the forum carebears need not be too defensive.

"Its like you get a job in a company and on the first day of work you ask your boss to pays you? Is that logical?"

LOL , THATS A STUPID EXAMPLE , U WILL BE PAID BY THE DAY, OF COURSE U ASK UR BOSS TO PAY U, DON TELL ME U GONNA WORK FOR FREE? U GO MAC AND WORK THEN U DON DARE ASK UR BOSS FOR PAY? SMLJ? U MAKE NO SENSE

this whole thing is overblown...probably by the Fs & the Ss.

What's the big deal about bands asking if there is payment or if it's a paid gig. I get that all the time tough most never ask. In fact I wish they do, thus giving me the opportunity to share the philosophy of HRS. And indeed I wish bands will have the guts to ask, if they are already of a certain standard that a gig organizsers would call them up to ask if they are interested. There are lots of people who wants to support the scene, but what is "the scene". A healthy music scene would be one that bands can make a decent living out of what they do.

I think we have not got into details about this gig...whether is it ticketed, is it hosted at a place where f&b is sold, or some business promotions other than purely promoting the music scene. I think you guys know what I am getting at cos it has been posted before.

There is really no reason to be angry. The contribution to the scene does not rest only on gig organizers, the bands too have an equal share of it. I don't believe bands who are desperate fro gig opportunities would work against their own interest.

hm i think azlyjacaz has a good point though. to a large extent, a band that has yet to grow a fanbase is a band that has yet to pull in a crowd, which means that organizers may not be able to recover costs when they front money to do the gig. so in addition to the initial expenditure that the organizers have to put up in order to hold the gig, it doesn't seem fair to make the organizers pay an unknown and unestablished band.

if the band is established, then it seems fair for the band to charge, because the band will likely have time constraints and may be involved in multiple projects that require funding such as promotions, recording, music video filming, and so on. as most starving musicians should know, this all takes (lots) of money. so it seems like it makes sense for the band to charge organizers, because they get many requests for shows and have only a limited amount of time, and they generally have a greater expenditure than unestablished bands.

the exception to charging will probably be charity shows, and that depends on whether the organizer decides to offer the band a token amount as gratitude. some bands do charity shows for free, which is cool.

The issue here is that the gig organiser and band are not on the same train of thought.

It's the duty of the gig organiser to set the expectations, and state the terms and conditions right from the start: whether the band is being paid or not, how the gig will be publicised, etc.

The band has the right to ask if they are being paid, especially if they have not been told otherwise by the organiser.

The tricky part is he has that nick of calling only first time band who has no gig experience at all. I find that amazing. Well at least my conclusion comes from what is written. I just wonder if a gig organizer would go all the way out to find bands who has no gig experience or whose names have not been heard before.

Tera wrote

"Its like you get a job in a company and on the first day of work you ask your boss to pays you? Is that logical?"

LOL , THATS A STUPID EXAMPLE , U WILL BE PAID BY THE DAY, OF COURSE U ASK UR BOSS TO PAY U, DON TELL ME U GONNA WORK FOR FREE? U GO MAC AND WORK THEN U DON DARE ASK UR BOSS FOR PAY? SMLJ? U MAKE NO SENSE

Oh gosh, are you seriously ****** or just ****** ****** ? Did you go to school? Seriously did you?

My example meant: On the first day of work, you ask your boss to pay you after your finish work on that day. You think your boss would give you? He would, but only at the end of the month.

God. Do i have to re-phrase every single post?

Macs don't pay by the day but by the month.

Damn you are really so ****** .

HeartRockSingapore wrote

The tricky part is he has that nick of calling only first time band who has no gig experience at all. I find that amazing. Well at least my conclusion comes from what is written. I just wonder if a gig organizer would go all the way out to find bands who has no gig experience or whose names have not been heard before.

Singapore gigs are based on contacts. If you know this person and the person knows the organizer or some sort, they get a slot. Something like that. Yes there's a centralized gig organizing community but how many are there?

Thus the other alternative would be to ask friends who are/who know organizers to push them a slot.

And since the organizer message me, I felt it's only right if I pass on the message to other interested parties. That's how the music scene grows.

How do you expect a band with no gig experience to have any experience at all if no one gives them a chance?

But that doesn't mean then when given a chance, the new bands take advantage.

Regarding this gig,

Due to the sensitivity of this topic, i will only pass you the details if you private message me because some of the bands im referring to might be in the forum and i do not want conflicts to arise although indirectly it already has.[/b]

honestly i know there are a few bands who wouldnt mind playing for free, especially those bands which are still unknown to the people but for a new unknown band to suddenly ask to be paid to play is just plain dumb. Even me for example, i've done a few gigs here and there but i never got a single cent, in fact i paid to play my first gig. Its just immature and greedy to expect an independant organiser to pay you, he/she could be just like us, students or working adults, not a company or corporation. i agree with every bit this guy is trying to say because i've seen for myself how idiotic some people and bands can get, basically since the local scene is already so small and quite segregated, these kinda things would leave such a negative impression.

azlyjacaz said:
HeartRockSingapore wrote

Singapore gigs are based on contacts. If you know this person and the person knows the organizer or some sort, they get a slot. Something like that. Yes there's a centralized gig organizing community but how many are there?

Thus the other alternative would be to ask friends who are/who know organizers to push them a slot.

And since the organizer message me, I felt it's only right if I pass on the message to other interested parties. That's how the music scene grows.

How do you expect a band with no gig experience to have any experience at all if no one gives them a chance?

But that doesn't mean then when given a chance, the new bands take advantage.

Regarding this gig,

Due to the sensitivity of this topic, i will only pass you the details if you private message me because some of the bands im referring to might be in the forum and i do not want conflicts to arise although indirectly it already has.[/b]

Thanks for keeping your cool :D

I beg to differ. We have plenty of people here at soft and as you rightly mentioned that the bands in question are also in this forum, and yes we have plenty of gig organizers putting up post looking for bands to perform and I am sure you are aware that there are those who are even willing to pay you to gig. Your reasoning still lacks substance.

Well realistically, look at the upcoming gigs. Most if not all features bands who have already performed in gigs and has gig experiences.

What about unknown bands? I would assume most gig organizers would shun them if their slots are filled up with regconised bands instead.

But the point here isn't about that but rather about unestablished bands asking for monetary contributions. It's unlogical.

its their loss if they dont want to perform i mean with this kind of attitude will they ever get to perform.i believe that these bunch of people are the minority and you really shouldnt waste your time on them its their loss, i believe if you post on this forum asking , there will be many who would love to perform free of charge. :p

hahahaha....... i dun mind gigging 4 free....... no crowds....... or watever as long as i'm having fun........ but it sound like i'm a gig whore lei...... hahahaha....... :lol:

but sum expect 2 make $...... famous...... instead of spending time improving personnal skills n stuffs like tat ......

anyway....... every coins have 2 sides lor....... n life still goes on lor...... so let's make more music instead........ :wink:

Wow!!! new bands nowadays quite BIG head ah....Want payment somemore.. :roll: Like one big rock stars or something..Got oppurtunity to expose and xperience the gig vibe still want payment...They should thanking the organizer instead...Hey all new bands,its best u guys just stay in the studio. :D

hmmmm i think we shld start a section in soft to put up singapore bands profile , genre and contact and status detail of bands in soft so gig organisers can approach them easier ... and if they want put up details as how much they will charge to be booked for gigs

azlyjacaz said:
Tera wrote
Oh gosh, are you seriously retarded or just plain stupid? Did you go to school? Seriously did you?

My example meant: On the first day of work, you ask your boss to pay you after your finish work on that day. You think your boss would give you? He would, but only at the end of the month.

God. Do i have to re-phrase every single post?

Macs don't pay by the day but by the month.

Damn you are really so dumb.

You're the dumb one, u don get what i mean. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO ASK FOR PAY, u are still BEING PAID although u are not COLLECTING IT on that day. U use it in comparison to going for gigs, does it mean that after playing 30 free gigs, u get all the money?! Ure the dumb retarded F

On the request of Mr James, I would like to apologise to all softies if my post has been explicit and have caused such a fuss.

In fact I would take my hats off "teraslasch" .

Thank you.

Once again, sorry all.

Let us be cool and calm and excercise our maturity in discussing with this matter....

Money matters.. Why people see the money issue is subjective... They may see gigs as a means to get money to better themselves, buy new equipment, or to cover heavy expenses that they might have incurred through their past.

Of course money should not be the top priority for our local music scene. But how bands choose to put their priorities -- that's their issue. They may have grinded their hair over what they want, or they might not even have thought about it, it is their issue. Because it is their growth we are talking about. We gotta think about the circumstances that might have led certain bands to take the paths that they have taken. Do we understand their circumstances? Maybe or maybe not. And whatever they decide on, it is their own learning journey. If they have to learn the hard way, then so be it.

What right do we have to take away their freedom of choice? Much like I have no right to take away anybody's thoughts and beliefs.

I hope everyone can discuss with an open mind... After all... it's just Music! We should enjoy it! :D

Back