Short Audio Courses in Singapore

setsuna83

Hi all, wish to find out are there any other schools that have certified audio engineering short courses?Currently i only know about SOMA which their course had already extended to a year rather than 6 mths when it first started.

I think it's better to study EEE first. More job options.
I surveyed many of these private school audio engineering courses last time and went to their open houses, bcos very itched to take one of those course. But I get the impression most of those courses' graduates work on project basis, or technician level.
Hardly what I want if I fork so much money to do a course like that, even if just for interest, since I do not have too much excess cash to risk.

Also all of the private courses doesn't really teach EEE theory basics, but hands-on a lot with expensive equipment and a graduating project assignment, and I remember SAE tag along an option for a bachelor with an Australian university to prepare one for a career as a proper recording engineer.

Anyway, it's cheaper to study at government schools, polytechnic or university and get a good basic technical education. (Sim Wong Foo came from Polytechnic too what, and his sound cards are selling all over the world now.)

I think last year onwards a number of polytechnics are offering sonic courses because of the government's plan to invest in media eduaction and boost the media industry. Lab-based courses are expensive, one lab cost 1 million-2 million S$ to set up. Most times, if private courses offer good equipment in the lab, they will charge very expensive course fees, else their lab equipment is not the more expensive good quality one, and they can afford to price their course fees lower.

I think everything else in audio engineering is not difficult if you are EEE and music knowledgeable.

thatz a good advice !

I EEE poly grad, and well in music

but hardly good in audio engr ???

hahaha

Most important, poly is cheaper, more job options and easier to get employment opportunities.
Aiyah, bongman, you miss the boat, if born later, can now apply to all those new poly sonic courses.
They look very attractive to me than SAE or SOMA, but like you, I also miss it.
Actually I enquire with Polytechnic before, if got a lot of demand and teachers willing to teach evening, maybe they can create evening courses.

Hmm what all of you said makes sense,

How about the bachelor degree for music technology at lasalle? Are things in there covered in EEE at the same level?

SAE Audio short course

hi~i recently check out that SAE is offering Basic Audio recording short course. i was wondering has anybody been to this course already?Its only for 1 mth but abit ex...wonder if its useful for beginners like me and whether wat's taught isit good enough to do a professional recording or just for homebased recording stuff? Need some advice here...Thanks!

setsuna,
you really cant learn much in a month. take the money, buy some books and equipment and learn to use it. there's plenty of information available online for free as well..

Well, this question has been asked so many times in this forum. Hmmm...what can I say? As a Sound Designer and Audio Engineer, I would like to advice you and everyone that there is no point spending so much money studying this topic "Audio Engineering".

First of all, you've got to face the reality that Singapore market is still small and not established yet. Hence, the consequences of taking such courses is that you might end up jobless UNLESS you got the contacts, OR you willing to work late in pubs. Singapore is more about live sound reinforcement. If you think you could easily & comfortably get a sit in a local recording studio, I'm sorry dude....most studio owners are engineer themselves, why would they even need you? If you are thinking of setting up your own, think again. Do you have contacts to get constant reveune? How many studio already are there in the market currently? Do you think you will have a share of the pie in this small island rite now?

Secondly, even if you have a Degree or PHD in it, people in this industry generally don't really give a damn to all these cert. thingy. You need strong experience, skills, and port-folio than a worthless cert. Why is that so? Here is the main point. "Audio Engineering" typically has got nothing much that you can really go and "study" it. All you need to know is the the operational skills of the equipments found in a typical studio, and understanding what are each of their role, and when to use this and when to use that. Apparently, all these can be learnt by yourself, either from friends, books, online research, library research, or spend a little buying one or two equipments to explore them yourself. Don't start buying expensive pieces of course. Start with cheapo ones first. When you finally understand them and know what electronic is for what purpose, then you will need to ask yourself what kinda of work will you be doing. From there, then you slowly start buying the necessary stuffs.

Other than all the above that I've mentioned, which are generally technical side and operational skills, the rest and the most important part of the Audio Engineering is simply your EAR, where nobody can teach you that. Be it SAE or government Polytechnics, etc., they simply can't teach you that. This can only be mastered through many years of non-stop practices and experiences to obtain it. And this is where you guys should be spending your time and money in, rather than wasting them in getting a unless cert.

Of course, if you are planning to do composing and arranging, then Audio Engineering should not be the topic that you should look so much into. You should look more into the musical aspects then.

Last edited:
I ran some short short (3 day) courses a while ago in Lion Studios. Haven't done any recently mainly because of difficulties in getting 5 or 6 people together in the same place at the same time. If there's enough people out there interested then let me know, maybe we can do another one. We don't have to cover all the topics listed...the course can be tailored to cover the majority interest. For details scroll down to near the bottom of this page http://www.angelfire.com/sd/Lion/news.html
While I'm at it, if you're looking for some special deal new year recording time in Lion Studios...give me a call on 64734677

=sj2six

My 2 Cents Worth: There is more to that than understanding the electronics. There are theories involved. Psycho-Acoustics and acoustics are another part of Audio Engineering. You may not have to go for these short courses but i urge you to head down to the library and read up on such stuff. True that the industry is built as such but with that paper, there is more to that. Studying Audio does not mean that you necessarilly have to work in a studio or a post facillity. The world of audio is huge. Ultimately it's your choice. i just want to say that there is more to audio engineering than pushing faders in a studio. The internet has a whole lot of information available for you to do your research but sometimes you just need someone to guide you. If you want to do audio forensics, you can't possibly say that you learnt what you knew from the internet. Just my 2 cents worth.

apprenticeship?

hi...
just to chip in my 2cents worth...

i've got absolutely no formal education for audio engineering.
i played in a band that went into waterside studios to record more than 10 years ago. while doing that i realised that i thoroughly enjoyed the process and the works.

asked to pour kopi, coil cables and set up mics and even pay to do an 'internship' or apprenticeship...

the producer, who was (and is) a prominent producer/arranger took me in, and gave me an 'education' that 3 years of MPE training @ berklee wouldn't have matched... and i'm glad i did it... today i'm still in music/audio. and 2 of the albums i did over the last year just went gold... =)

that was how i started...
=)

=starfish

I understand nothing is more practical than practical training. I just want to say that there are theories involved and Audio Engineering does not just involve in working in a studio.

my boyfriend is wishing to pursue a career in the entertainment industry, specializing in audio production.
even though our local scene aint dat much.
he just rather werk on someting he's interested in rather den otherwise
hit me wid more details pls
sch, requirements, fees or websites for me to seach tru tanx alot

Back