Seymour Duncan: Alternative 8

subversion

000034061.jpg

Seymour Duncan SH-15: Alternative 8
List: $125

This pickup is one of the newest offerings by Seymour Duncan, a by-product of user tinkering shared at the manufacturer’s forum. The typical Duncan fanatic is one who, having liked the tone of a particular pickup, goes further to dabble with parts variation. The Alternative 8 proves that there are rewarding returns in messing with magnetic variation.

Features
The SH-15 is a high output pickup with an alnico 8 magnet, the numerical superiority here is a definite implication of increased strength compared to the alnico 5 unit. The pickup was intentionally conceived to generate higher output without having to resort to a ceramic magnet foundation. There is a clear objective here in preserving the vintage nuances of a great sounding pickup while offering a contemporary variation. Besides this highlight, the pickup is a typical manifestation of an average looking, black, slot/ flat pole pieces equipped pickup; you can’t tell it’s an Alternative 8 just by looking at it.

In use
At an initial neutral EQ setting (treble/ mid/ bass at noon position), the humbucker sounds bright in both clean & driven modes. Sounds like the typical Duncan JB pickup but the marked difference here lies with the midrange definition; the SH-15 has this grainy midrange response that begs the (guitar’s) volume knob to be lowered. This is where the pickup is at its best- it’s perhaps the blues-crunch benchmark to beat. Couple it with a deserving tube amp with no pedals to rob its inherent nuances & you have your crunch tones made. The grainy midrange here is a great inspiration for those fight-back playing that you think is out of your league.

The SH-15 is also the recommended pickup if you have a penchant for boosting the lower frequencies at high gain/ drive settings but do wish to end up too muddy & lost in the mix. As the pickup’s inherent midrange & treble responses are in excess of the bass, you could simply dial in more bottom end without worrying the loss of definition; definitely good news to the metal heads.

On the flip side, if you are doomed to play a practice grade amp in the abyss of your room without any chance whatsoever to experience the tonal bliss of a 12” speaker, the Alternative 8 is a pickup to avoid. This set up would conjure too much top end without the hope of curing excess with the amp’s tone/ EQ knobs.

Tone test equipment:
• Guitar: Gibson Les Paul BFG
• Amps: Marshall JVM/ MG15/ Sound Drive SG-612R

Last say
The SH-15 is a rewarding pickup if you have the means to balance its excessive brightness & it’s not about having numerous EQ controls to trim things down, an appropriate amp driver plays a considerable part in this aspect. Simply put, the SH-15 here is the superior manifestation of putting your favourite pickup through a BOSS Blues Driver pedal but with a more dynamic control of proceedings.

Rating: 89%

Product availability
• Davis Guitar

• Good definition at high gain/ drive settings

Dislikes:
• Sounds too sharp in use with small amps
• Not a balanced performer in clean settings

Worthy competitor:
• Bare Knuckles- Crawler

Hey SUB. I was intending to put this into the kgarage. I normally uses the GA-15 which is a yamaha small practice amp. Is this suitable? I like the punch of the super distortion, does the alternative 8 sound like it?

Chances are, it might be too sharp when used with your amplifier, though if you go jamming and use bigger amplifiers it might sound good. Perhaps go for a Seymour Duncan JB? It's good for both big and small amplifiers, though perhaps a bit bassy from my experience.

i have this pickup in my squier 51's bridge.was recommended to me by a fellow davis staff according to the music that i was playing.turns out really nice.i even coilt-split it.

but if im not wrong,when i bought this pickup,it was much cheaper...if im not wrong.

The cost has probably gone up. :cool:

sub listed the price as list price, there might be discounts?
give them a call... :D

Chances are, it might be too sharp when used with your amplifier, though if you go jamming and use bigger amplifiers it might sound good.

hehehehhe... i believe most guitar players will end-up in the jamming studio anyway, and play through bigger amps. so definitely this pick-up is a plus for those looking for the "tone traits/characteristics" like brader sub mentioned in the review.

Ive just bought this from Davis @$99bucks. A few days ago, didn't have a chance to put it in yet though.

dats quite cheap.. as compared to dimarzios... really don't know if i should put that into my guitar as I'm more comfortable using the small practice amp..

That shouldn't deter you. Especially if your small practice amp has an eq. Start everything at 12 o clcock. Treble drop by about 3, Bass and mids bring up to taste and u should be fine.

Just had this installed yesterday, i love this pickup. Its bright but not too harsh , fatter than the sd jb( i have another guitar with the jb). When coil split in single mode it does not lose too much volume. So u can alternate between split and full mode in a song without too much vol adjustment problems. This is everything the jb should have been.

Most stuff from davis are cheap, seymour duncans retail at around $70us on ebay. Converted to singapore dollars with shipping and you know that you are getting a gd deal. Same goes for the emg pickups.

That shouldn't deter you. Especially if your small practice amp has an eq. Start everything at 12 o clcock. Treble drop by about 3, Bass and mids bring up to taste and u should be fine.

Just had this installed yesterday, i love this pickup. Its bright but not too harsh , fatter than the sd jb( i have another guitar with the jb). When coil split in single mode it does not lose too much volume. So u can alternate between split and full mode in a song without too much vol adjustment problems. This is everything the jb should have been.

Most stuff from davis are cheap, seymour duncans retail at around $70us on ebay. Converted to singapore dollars with shipping and you know that you are getting a gd deal. Same goes for the emg pickups.

HAHA. Okay. I've decided on alternative 8 for my LP... for the neck right... do you have any recommendation? something which can handle clean very well... I think the seth lover or '59 will be okay right... wad do u tink?

Back