Self-taught/Take lessons?

Are You A...

• Drummer who takes lessons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well, he posted that first, didn't he...

My take is, you can be self-taught, but if you have a teacher or mentor, it will be better as he will be able to point out your mistakes; such as unconstant rhythm or such... 8)

regardless if you like to shred or what,playing guitar is more for practical rather than theory.Theory is the guideline for us as basic idea eg,scales mode etc.Doesnt mean if you are good in music theory or graduate from berkelee music school,you can perform guitar playing good on stage.You dont play straight scales or mode while soloing over a chord progression.Built a melody from your head.Most of the guitarist who play music for a living doesnt read notes or tablature.Most of the good guitarist play by ears.If you rely on notes and tab to play guitar,then you wont go far.I prefer guitarist with creative ideas rather than playing note for note.For me,i dont copy exact solo of a cover songs but improvise it to my own style kind of solo.I see some guitarist can only be a guitar teacher cause they learn theory from books like robot and teach other ppl in return.The fact is,they cant perform live.Its difficult to find real good guitar teacher....those were the days.Mostly young punks who like to learn as quickly as possible and then make money by teaching ppl

dudees, i understand that yamaha is crap. some teachers are and some are not, but i feel its the your mind set thats most important. the crappiest teacher will have something you dun know.
on the issue of a teacher i've was self taught for the longest bloody time and alot of stuff was and is a mystery for me. things like double strokes odd time meters and shuffles etc etc. yes its true tht u sound more individual without a teacher and that u can learn alot from books and dvds. its cliched but nothing compares to a good teacher, if u thiink that having a teacher makes u sound maybe not so individual tell u wat go get a couple and take wat you like from them. i've learned that learning different genres even if u fucking hate a shuffle and think u'll never use it again. it'll bleed into ur playing, u got to go and listen to get the feel from cd's, play along to them this is so important!!!
YOU WON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW.....sorry but does this make sense?
i thought i was some hot shit drummer till i got to uni and the lecturer was just ripping at me saying this and that is just crap, still very much is.
get some help from a teacher it really helps

blurred said:
dudees, i understand that yamaha is crap. some teachers are and some are not, but i feel its the your mind set thats most important. the crappiest teacher will have something you dun know.

totally agree with you...i learnt how to play the piano there and it totally sucked..i changed my teacher 3 times b4 realising i wasn't gonna get anywhere..i gave up classical piano and took up pop-piano...i taught my-self how to play the bass and a friend taught me how to play the guit...also joining the scool band does help alot......in a theoretical way,for some,it may be in a practical way cos' of the instruments they play...like if you play the tuba(which i don't),you'll find that it helps alot in rhythm,especially if you're a bassist..if you play instruments that always play the melody,you can get ideas from some of the licks they play..i play the trombone,which is a jazz instrument.it helps alot when i play jazz...so even thogh ppl think tht school bands are crappy and a waste of time(which is true some of the time),it does have its advantages.in a band,you're taught to listen to others and not only to what you're playing,that was how i first learnt how to play the drums.......bottomline is:i'm self-taught..it's independant learning

Hmm

I went to Yamaha for 2 months & the 1st few lessons are mainly theories on the guitar & how to handle it. Not much practical till the 2nd month & the process went so slowly that I decide to pull out & learn on my own. Today, I am very much happy picking up things along the way :)

shred5 said:
There's no doubt that U can learn how to read a PROPER DRUM Tablature by urself but the question is, "how long can U tahan and how much can u understand without proper guidance?"..

bro i hear you. alas, i am not good enough to guide you. there are many teachers around, perhaps you should try and find someone whom you feel you can "click" with (no pun intended)

hope you find a suitable teacher soon :) meanwhile, hangout whenever there's time and lets have sharing sessions!!

cheers
alfe

hmm...i just search the net for resources. includes tab sites and manufactureer's sites. my friend has an instructor, and he probably is a hundred times better than me already.
Frozen said:
Where do you get your resources other than listening and the internet though? Any books to recommend?

btw, anyone know where I can get tabs/scores for good fill-ins? I'm not so creative at making my own.

i've heard ppl talking about this book
http://www.buymusicbooks.com/
not sure if it is gd or not, but worth a try

as for fill-ins
http://216.103.111.115/perl/drums/index.cgi?Index=1
there are lessons under the intermedate category.

Definitely take lessons dude. That way, you can improve faster, learn the right techniques and learn what do to and what not to do.

Almost all the great drummers had great teachers. Dave Weckl, just a few years back was still taking lessons from drum guru, Freddie Gruber to improve his playing. He switched his technique and started using the Moeller technique for better results. That's how he "evolutionised" his music, sound and new equipment (cymbals, sticks...)

Neil Peart of Rush too took lessons from Freddie after 22 years with super rock group Rush.

So there you have it...

Despite learning traditional grip from Freddie Gruber, Neil Peart's jazz playing was absolutely horrible, the whitest jazz I've heard. LOL. Thank god he never followed it up again.

Neil Peart was never really a jazz drummer to begin with actually... Rush is not what one would call a jazz band...

Btw he won...

Best Rock Drummer: 1980,1981,1982,1983,1984,1985.
&
1986 Honor Roll: Rock Drummer, Multi-Percussion before taking lessons from Freddie.

You can read about him here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Peart

He's come a long way don't you agree? It was after all these that he decided he needed to improve and started taking lessons from Freddie. He used his new techniques for Rush's Test For Echo, not for any jazz music or band. Hope I proved my point.

Like what some people might say, continual upgrading is necessary to stay competitive in the market. It's a healthy attitude of constant learning and upgrading of oneself.

He's an exceptional rock drummer that had some killer fills and played for the music... what i was refering to was that track from the burning for buddy session.

Yeah. That CD is really a tribute by all drummers, not just jazz drummers. So you'd expect some rock and funk influenced jazz drumming in there. Simon Philips and Matt Sorum played too including many other non-jazz drummers, and they are really not the ones to go to if you are a serious jazz fan. I would not put that on my "to listen" list of CDs if I wanted to improve my jazz playing...

Heard of Ari Hoenig? That guy has the worst *LOOKING* technique but plays tremendous jazz music. Or maybe it's not so much of jazz. But check him out sometime. Word of caution: His technique looks like crap. Really. He holds his sticks like one would hold a club. But his playing is superb.

I would reccommend University Of Miami. The standard of teaching is very high there. When I was in New York, I gigged with a bassist who graduated from there and he was relating to me about how it was really tough but well worth the effort. Spyro Gyra's current drummer, Ludwig Afonso, good friends with my bassist friend, is also a graduate from there. He's now a Yamaha endorsee. I was at his place and was surprised to see his Yamaha-made custom kit with his name on the insignia together with the Yamaha brand. They gave it to him as a gift.

Latest posts

Back