Self-taught/Take lessons?

Are You A...

• Drummer who takes lessons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Frozen

Are you a self-taught drummer or do you take (or used to take) lessons? Just want to know since I may quit lessons and learn by myself.

I used to take lessons at Yamaha. Quit at the beginner of the year cos can't afford the fees anymore.

Trying the self-taught route now...

So how is it? Do you learn from books, internet?

Any good recommended sites? All I know is that there're some good lessons and lots of tabs at mxtabs.

I'm learning from books, magazines and drum DVDs (I love these!). Also, I think watching people play helps a lot. Just go to as many gigs as you can and fix your eyes on the drummer!!!

Need discipline though. Cos no more teacher to like "must practise for me to see next week!" that type of thing.

Self teaching gives you freedom of expression man. I'm not that great with the drums but i managed to pick it up by practicing those coordination exercises with hands and feet. Subsequently relied on listening and learning from videos. Works, but if you have a friend to guide you you'll improve much faster.

Well, now I take lessons but I've been listening to songs and checking out the tabs. Reading the tabs look harder than playing the songs though it explains fill-in parts.

Would it work if people with the same capabilities learn together to work out how to play a song,etc?

i agree with what poo said ... self taught giving a freedom of expression ... most important thing when you self-taught yourselves is to try to find most effective way to improve yourself ... i improved my drum by jamming with my recordings, songs and even drum instructional ...

i feel that jamming with bassist gives me a lot of grooves ... furthermore it gets you used to with jamming and coordinate with other musicians ... makes you feel natural when it comes to fill ins ... but of course you cant learn stuffs like drum tuning, positioning, tricks, etc this way ... you can learn this from friends and the net ... try to hang out with lots of drummers ... one of my good friends just happen to be a drummer.

used to learn from yamaha too. but then half way thru beginner, cannot tahan the fees as well as the teacher there. so from then on, self taught till now.
cant say i am good, but at least i got the basics.

watch drum dvds, read tabs and just, freestyle with drums, you know.
:lol:

ohh.. me from yamaha too!! but quit halfway... now learning on my own... listening, watching, learning and most impt is to have the passion...

hmmm...self taught all the way!

learnt from sites....vids...solos...

got vicfirth webbie...teaches a llot of stuff...a lot of grooves under tommy igors section...got alot of tips.

pearl drum forum is the best... ( not spamming ahahaha. :lol: )

haha..yea but he sounded so cute.
after I saw that video I kept saying that fill out loud and my friends think I'm nuts. haha

yeah self taught...watching and listening to how others play do helps a lot. expose to more genres to have a variety of different styles. i've a friend who's learning from school and one who's self taught. and self taught one plays better than one from school

Where do you get your resources other than listening and the internet though? Any books to recommend?

btw, anyone know where I can get tabs/scores for good fill-ins? I'm not so creative at making my own.

There are pros and cons to both subjects.

Self-taught and taking lessons..

I'm a self-taught drummer and I have my limitations bcos I don't have a teacher or somebody who is better than me who will pinpoint my weaknesses.
It can be frustrating though, not knowing those stuffs that ppl taking lessons know..

Bcos if U want to survive and excel better in the musical line, U need to know how to read those "taugeh". Crochet, quaver, semi-quaver, minum, etc.. By taking lessons, those fundamentals ar embedded in ur head.U can instantly know the time-signatures, the beats, tempos, where to put the fills, where the CODA is, etc.. All these are compulsory if U want to commit urself to become a sessionist, full-time musician in the entertainment industry, etc..

The main advantage abt taking lessons is U will have credibility when U are undergoing auditions. If the songwriter were to just present U the drum scores to that particular song, it'll be a piece of cake.. Get what I mean?

There's no doubt that U can learn how to read a PROPER DRUM Tablature by urself but the question is, "how long can U tahan and how much can u understand without proper guidance?"..

Well, I already know the "tauge" and those musical signs since I used to play piano and clarinet. I guess joining the school band helps.

Self-Taught

Hi all,

Me is a self-taught dude. I did went to music school to learn for 1 mth, progress super slow. I wan to shred fast, so my frens sent me some useful websites, practise everyday.

Now i may not be a master shredder, but there is level up in my playing & solo-ing :)

Back