Role of a Keyboardist?

DoubleBlade

What's the main role of a keyboardist in a band?

To fill in some ambience backing sounds?

To fill in some rhythmic/chordal accompaniment?

Or just to showcase some keyboard licks?

just like the other instrument of the band. the keyboard is used to add texture to the overall sound.

you are only limited by skill and imagination.

It depends on the band and the keyboardists' abilities what the role of one is. But alot of people have the misconception that keyboards in a band is just like piano.

Well imo it's much, much more than piano. There're a lot of songs out there that you can't cover without proper keyboard playing.

The main thing about keys (to me) would probably be ambience. It's got functions any other instrument in a band wouldn't be able to give. And it can imitate some other more impossible-to-get ones too.

I truely agree with your statement , in fact I use to have that exact same misconception before....

of course theoritically speaking , if you can play the piano , you can definitely play the keyboard but there are so many things to consider when playing keyboard as compared to playing the piano for example the touch and realisim of sounds (if you're into piano sounds)

But sometimes a keyboardist would do some rhythmic/melodic backing for example in a jazz band...

IMO , a keyboardist in a rock band would go for ambience effects over rhythmic/melodic backing....

go try hearing "reggie and the full effect" its a one man band or "the dissociatives" both have mostly keyboard effects

this question comes back again...
see:
http://soft.com.sg/new/modules.php?...c&t=3418&sid=5b228766e07e32ba671f8d9b4591c1c5

http://soft.com.sg/new/modules.php?...ic&t=446&sid=5b228766e07e32ba671f8d9b4591c1c5

all still depends on what music the band is playing;
if you play progressive rock eg. Dream Theater, Yes, Genesis, Asia, King Crimson, etc. The keyboard parts are as prominet as the guitars.

Pop-rock band TOTO definitely defines the role of a keyboardist in a band; at one time they have two keyboard players: David Paich and Steve Parcoro.

Some keyboardist only play Organ in the band, eg. Deep Purple, the Doors;
But these organ lines and solos are rock solid. Santana keyboardist used to
play organ only but lately in their new albums, the keyman plays beautiful keyboard parts with DX7 pianos and brass.

Bands like Bon Jovi, Gun and Roses, Journey, Reo Speedwagon - the keyboard parts are riff lines, licks and pads - not so much of soloing.
not forgeting Van Halen, the guitarist Edward plays the keyboards
as well - listen to JUMP and RIGHT NOW !!!

Probably in pop music production, keyboards and synth are very important.
Just listen to Madonna, Mariah Carey, Whitney Huston - you'd know what I mean

fored said:
The main thing about keys (to me) would probably be ambience..

"ambience" is a common misconception. the keyboardist's role changes from song to song, genre to genre. as a result too, i have come across many soundmen who fumble with the keyboards in a live mix.

I say keyboardist can put a good melody in a song (like electrico?), play a tune over and over again as the main tune (like in "jerk it out"-the caesars and "diamond and guns"-the transplants), or take a guitarist-like role (chords, etc but with keyboard).

I say having a keyboardist in a band is a good advantage (although it depends what kind of band it is).

Oh, this question again! Well, we all know that we keyboardists are meant to be backup playing sustain pads with the right hand and the left hand controlling the volume fader to make sure we don't sound above -10dB.

hey Cheez, it's all good man. here's another - "Looking for Keyboardist, female preferred". :smt003

Cheez said:
Oh, this question again! Well, we all know that we keyboardists are meant to be backup playing sustain pads with the right hand and the left hand controlling the volume fader to make sure we don't sound above -10dB.

amen

DoubleBlade said:
What's the main role of a keyboardist in a band?

To fill in some ambience backing sounds?

To fill in some rhythmic/chordal accompaniment?

Or just to showcase some keyboard licks?

depends on what genres you are playing.

My keyboardist is very versatile. On jazz genre quite often keyboard is the main instrument. And not to forget blues!

Silencer said:
not my fault.. ur guitar so loud my keyboard how to louder....
this is what happens when members cannot hear each other, and they try so hard to balance each other out. i think it would be good to get someone (or themselves, if no choice), to hear from another angle, ie. a little further away, and hear the overall effect.

eh.. i am just suggesting hoh! i mean can try like, if no keyboardist to play your part to hear whether you can be heard, you can try hantam a few chords at the same volume he is actually using, and you go a little further away to hear. similarly for other instruments, eg. drums, guitars..
then i think each member can actually hear a little better how your band sounds to your audience.

soft said:
hey Cheez, it's all good man. here's another - "Looking for Keyboardist, female preferred". :smt003

I've never come across someone who posts "Looking for Keyboardist , male preferred" before...

Honestly speaking , I don't see a need why should one look for a female keyboardist when a male can be as competetant unless of course the band members are mostly females and they feel comfortable getting a female keyboardist instead of a male , now that I truely understand....

like what's with this gender stereotyping?

Just because in today's modern society , the females dominate the keyboards but that does not mean that the males are not as competetant as our female counterparts....

Remember...the greatests pianist/keyboardist in the World are mostly , if not all MALES!!!! :twisted:

Franz Liszt , Chopin , Schumann , Bach , Mozart , Beethoven , Jordon Ruddness , Maksim , Ray Charles etc

Latest posts

Back