Rock Unity "bringing the local scene together" (DIY gigs for new bands)

maybe can make a rockstar merlion bro...mohawks and all...i can see dat da banner will be very cool. Maybe can make badges too to show support for ROCK UNITY!!

i think the weiging scale is a bit over ... hahaha wings to show the rise of a local sceane .. i kinda like the merlion idea .. but looking towards you .. i dont know if we can get into trouble by placing a morhawk on the merlion tough ... the rock sign show stay aswell i feel its really nice...

well...this is a good step for the local young musicians..all the best for this organisation!
and nice logo btw:)

I am currently at Brewerkz enjoying the 10 dollar jugs and using the free internet and thinking about what the hell i'm gonna do on my school research...

I just wanna update you guys that things are coming together and give me sometime for the website will be up.. i know i couldnt reply to all you PM's but i assure you this will happen and i will contact you guys shortly. As for now i just need your support in staying away from P2P gigs.. but dont stay away from PSP's... lame ass i know .. but a drunk joke wont hurt would it ... Long LIVE SINGAPURA ROCK!!!

interesting. would be looking forward to this project. FINALLY. INDIES MUSICIANS MAKES A BREAKTHROUGH. do keep the details updated.

cheers

\As for now i just need your support in staying away from P2P gigs..

It would help if you'd be more specific . =)
And i hope you understand , not all are like that one organiser.
I believe i proved it.
Thanks .

Jaarvis.
Organiser for Rebellion.
LightsoutINC.

Admirable enthusiasm. Wouldn't want to dampen it. But I guess, some triggers for the mind wouldn't hurt.

1) Gigs come in various scale. Perhaps it is useful to draw a common imagination of this gig that you're visioning. the simplest could be put up by pulling equipment from fellow participant bands, get a venue, settle all the licensing and there you have it... a gig. However, if the imagination of a gig is a 500 pax crowd and all the pomp, other concerns will come in such as how do you attract the crowd if the central feature of the gig are new bands? If you're interlacing the flow with more established bands, when will the new bands feature? How to sustain the interest of the crowd when the new bands are playing (and not go for long smoke, toilet and other breaks meanwhile)?

2) The early phase of this interest build up, it did look like an anti exploitative capitalism move, that it to overthrow and crush the whole idea of Pay to Play gigs (although it was from a sole bad experience). However, I wish to highlight that very early in this thread, this idea of 'Rock Unity' has quickly been 'patented' as a sub-company. This is pretty strange as there are many contributors to the grand idea, finally, it will all reside and owned by a proprietor. thinking aloud... what if a planned gig, ticketed and all loses money...? the company stands to face the music. but what if the gig earns money? the company stands to gain... alone? what difference then is this idea with the many events production companies that are running and organising gigs round the year?

Parallel thinking... generally, for entertainment's sake, people spend money going to karaoke lounges just to sing. Bands spend money to jam... Is paying for mass jamming (a p2p gig) such a bad idea? Where were the shortcomings of the various P2P gigs? Could it be due to mismatch of expectations on the imagination of the gig between the organisers and the participating bands (i.e. bands after selling 20 tickets expect 200 pax turnout - from ten bands playing but see only the 20 persons they sold the tickets to in the audience when it is their turn to play cos the other 180 paying audience were out on smoke, toilet and any other matters break. - which incidentally can also happen to Free to Play gigs.)

3) If exposure is a concern, have you considered other measures/ approaches apart from gigs? One that I could think of is small scale gigs but solid sound engineering and live recording... and have them posted on youtube in a single channel... (no you can't patent this idea with the company as it is not new and has been done before ;) ... The channel currently is on facebook managed by all) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW8jqMyZyag&feature=channel << here is a glimpse of one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNDwAjDSiCc << another one but unintentional video. Both are FOC gigs, no money collected, negligible money spent... contributions in kind (equipment, manpower, logistics, transportation, administration & even venue) -Priceless!

4) Seriously, the spirit is good, but until you've clarified the errors and irritants of the gigs and gig organisers that you can't stand, regardless of all the good intentions, you may end up making the same mistakes.

That's it... signing off for now to continue observing

p.s. zamir... guitars alone don't make the rock culture... where're the double pedals?

Last edited:
It would help if you'd be more specific . =)
And i hope you understand , not all are like that one organiser.
I believe i proved it.
Thanks .

Jaarvis.
Organiser for Rebellion.
LightsoutINC.

Well i admire your work Jaarvis , but why do u have to worry if this is just a tradition that we want to stop ?

Because people might think that what im doing is just another p2p gig which they musn't take part in . I hope you make it clearer to everyone who looks into this thread .

Like what you told me at Terry's Tavern .
' You ask bands to sell tickets , what do you give them back in return ? '
I thought about it . And I gave the best i can . The bands were very happy with what i did.
And i also told you that i don't support the policy of forcing cash out from the bands itself. But to be honest , i kindly asked a few bands who only sold less than 5 tickets to help me out abit and its TOTALLY for covering the rental . Some didnt want to , its okay , some can't , its okay , some was kind enough to give me abit of cash which really helped me alot. In the end , i still ended up paying for the rental , and the tees that the bands didnt buy after they pre-ordered .

I was just proving my point.

yes/ same problem here.

like what lightsout stated. Not every organisers are using the same marketing skills as RockOn.. Everyone do things different.. if people don't like what organisers do.. they can work with others ... lightsout or maybe others.

if bands out there don't listen to others they will feel it in the end of the day
they will learn their lesson...

LightsOut has been great .. Screamevents shall not speak of the past
but we really hope that both LightsOut &ScreamEvents can continue doing shows . let it be the 2 groups to do the organising part.others will just perform.

Excellent posts from Obzervr, LightsOutInc and Screamevents.

Most bands are willing to fork out a sum for venue rental. Perhaps a little more for other stuff like posters, tickets, website and all that jazz. Sure is exciting and all that. But when the numbers are added and shown to the bands I really wonder how many would have the ready cash to pay.

Essentially selling of tickets means that bands do not need to cover much cost. In DIY gigs though, are the band the one covering cost, to give themselves that platform to perform to an audience? If that is the case, 15-18 dollars for an hour of jam session. So does that mean each band pays only 7-9 dollars for a half hour slot? Or are the bands paying more than that, considering that the extra they pay is the cost to get the audience to come down, assuming the audience are not paying any admission fees. Or are they?

If we are selling tickets, the band might be able to pull in the crowd for the first two or three performance from friends who are willing to come and support. But after that, friends start making excuses not to come, cos essentially it's the same ol thing.

So does this mean that this is only for new bands? What about bands who have been in the scene for sometime but are not as much a pulling factor as some of the other well known local bands.

Money is one factor. Time is another. NS is a third. You will find your resources dwindle as these come into play.

Not wanting to dampen the spirit at all. My apologies if I am. But I thought I put all these things forward for everyone to consider.

And no, I'm not a gig organiser.

Last edited:
Back