Recording guitars into your computer

I'm using Logic Express 8, bro. Works with any interface that can be used on Mac. Or at least that's what they said. I have heard the tones of Line 6 on Logic before. Yeah, surely killer. But I lack the money.

Will Zoom provide me the value-for-money?

I tried lining-in into my sound card using just a distortion pedal. The tone I got was not very satisfying. :/

Hm, will lining-in with multi-effects work any better?

Hey, you're using Logic Express 8, i'm envious! I've been wanting to buy that for sometime, but have been putting that thought behind.. :(

I believe the preset amplifier set-up and effects in Logic Express are pretty good, and definitely better than the ones in Garageband. I've recorded some stuff before for a review with Garageband's virtual amps/effects and it sounds ok (well, to my ears at least), so i'm sure you'll be able to get better/great tones and sounds with that (Logic's amps/efx) alone.. You can check them here: http://www.purevolume.com/mrecho, pardon the bad playing though.. :oops:

When you mentioned "tones of Line 6" i guess you're referring to the Pod XT, etc series. I've heard recording "supposedly" using those said device, and they do sound good to me too.. But definitely need some effort and time to "coax good stuff" out of it. Same if you buy a multi-efx (Zoom, or otherwise).

Ohh, the recording i mentioned above is me plugging-in direct into the line-in of my old PowerMac G4. What you're using now btw? iMac, iBook? So, it proves it will work, though with some noise/hum/crackle (very, very faint). But i did not plug any stompbox/multi-efx then.. Now, i do... BUT... i'm using a USB interface (the cheapest Line 6 Toneport GX) for recordings. Its cleaner (no hum/buzz/etc), clearer and louder... If you check-out the MySpace link below, the first 2 songs: i'm using a ds1, rat2 and tech 21 xxl --> USB interface --> Mac --> Ableton Live + virtual Marshall Amp in clean setting.. It works for me, though some find it badddd... ;)

So, i believe it'll be good if you can play around and experiment with Logic's virtual amp+efx at the moment, i believe there's good tones in there somewhere, just that you need to take the time a find it lahh... Also good to have some sort of interface: USB or Firewire for your recording.. :mrgreen:

I like Logic's midi. Great and good. And it's seriously convenient if you have a midi keyboard with a USB interface.

Oh, I'm using a Macbook. The generation before the new Macbooks.

I don't like their presets though. Find it a little dull. I believe Toneport has its own presets and enables one to create their own too? Hmmm.

But I'm finding a cheap multi-effects that can work well as a USB interface at the same time. Toneport sounds good, is good, definitely good but you can't use it live. Aw.

And buying an interface separately and getting the rest of all of the effects[stompboxes] individually would be quite expensive.

how expensive is zoom again? and my gf suggested a midi cable to the comp for recording..Err,I still all in for the mic and software method,though some softwares are so good,the capture your strumming noise,so beware

and my gf suggested a midi cable to the comp for recording..

Unless your guitar and computer has a midi interface, and your software has midi capabilities, it won't work.

To get a midi capable interface, for both your guitar AND computer, it's more expensive. It'll be hard to emulate things like bends, dive bombs and such with midi data. It's not like using keyboards.

Best is to record the sound as it is using any of the above mentioned methods.

If you like the tone of a Marshall JCM, I highly recommend you this:

http://www.studiodevil.com/

With the British Valve Custom download, it becomes a fully functional Marshall JCM modeller.

Best of all, you won't have to spend a single cent (except a few dollars for an adapter to connect your cables to your sound card)

Last edited:
I don't like their presets though. Find it a little dull. I believe Toneport has its own presets and enables one to create their own too? Hmmm.

But I'm finding a cheap multi-effects that can work well as a USB interface at the same time. Toneport sounds good, is good, definitely good but you can't use it live. Aw.

Ohhh.. that bad? Hmmmm... ;)
Yes, Toneport comes with a software, Gearbox. Its got presets, or you can create/customize your own sounds. I'm using the older version.. The newer version comes with a different, software, Pod Farm. Check-out Line 6's site for more info.. :)

If you like the tone of a Marshall JCM, I highly recommend you this:

http://www.studiodevil.com/

With the British Valve Custom download, it becomes a fully functional Marshall JCM modeller.

I second THOA on that.. :D
I've used that extensively before i got Guitar Rig 2. One of the best FREE virtual amp simulation plug-ins. Wish its got more gain though.. And i'm seriouly thinking of buying the full-version Virtual Guitar Amp (US$79).. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Wish its got more gain though..

Insert cheap TS-type pedal in the chain, and crank the gain knob up. Helps to neutralize the slight digital sound too. Sculpt post recording tone via DAW to taste. :mrgreen:

Ah... Toneport. It just annoys people when I mention this, but... Line 6 fan here. :mrgreen:

Wah my username changed to Empihsrow and I don't even know! :lol:

Last edited:
Wah my username changed to Empihsrow and I don't even know! :lol:

Hehehehhhe... Sorry... i've changed that now!! Hahahahhha!! ;)

Usually i'll use TAL-Tube plug-in after BVC and boost the DRIVE a bit..
But nowadays, i'll just plug-in a random stompbox.. Hehehehhhe.. :D

Ppl just want to get annoyed over nothing.. Hehehehhhe.. :mrgreen:

Back