really, there's no need to buy too expensive keyboards

Groove samplers - sorry, out of my expertise. They are look the same to me! Need to consult the guru lowjk. Lowjk, are you still around?

Hi Cheez, I'm still around. But seriously, I'm no guru; just an ordinary guy with an interest in synth.

As to synthman's question, the answer is it depends.

It'll be useful if you
1) need a portable sampler
2) work with loops and don't want to spend additonal money for a loop slicer (eg Beat Slicer, Recycle)
3) are a DJ and add your own loops in your mixing.
4) must work with physical knobs instead of tweaking parameters with a mouse.

If it's for home use, software samplers and beat slicers are probably a better choice.

Cheez said:
As far as hardware samplers are concerned, they are a thing of the past. Nobody in his right mind will go for a hardware sampler from Akai or Emu. One Giga PC can take on several Z8s with a fraction of the sample loading time.

I agree. Only limiting factors are the number of drives, drive speed, and processor speed our system

KMA said:
Cheez said:
As far as hardware samplers are concerned, they are a thing of the past. Nobody in his right mind will go for a hardware sampler from Akai or Emu. One Giga PC can take on several Z8s with a fraction of the sample loading time.

I agree. Only limiting factors are the number of drives, drive speed, and processor speed our system

Also amount of RAM. :)

lowjk said:
Hi Cheez, I'm still around. But seriously, I'm no guru; just an ordinary guy with an interest in synth.

As to synthman's question, the answer is it depends.

It'll be useful if you
1) need a portable sampler
2) work with loops and don't want to spend additonal money for a loop slicer (eg Beat Slicer, Recycle)
3) are a DJ and add your own loops in your mixing.
4) must work with physical knobs instead of tweaking parameters with a mouse.

If it's for home use, software samplers and beat slicers are probably a better choice.

Glad to know that you're still around. Well, to me you're still the guru!

synthman, looks like you like your synths! I am a hardware addict too (i have 15) but slowly venturing with softsynths now.

Here are a few softwynths/samplers sites where you can purchase or listen to the demos:

1. Native Instruments - Absynth, Reactor, FM7, B4, Pro-53, Battery etc
2. Garritan Personal Orchestra
3. Spectrasonics - Stylus RMX, Atmosphere, Trilogy
4. Soundsonline
5. Times+Space
6. Arturia - Moog Modular V, Minimoog, Arp 2600V, CS-80V

These are what most people usually use.

If anybody is considering looking into Gigastudio, this is an excellent library for orchestral composition (the best out there) - Vienna Symphonic Library

gigastudio sounds good man. i think i'm gonna try it out. vienna symphonic library sounds tempting. right now i'm running edirol hq orchestral for the orchestral sounds, just ok only. i have yet to come across a nicely responsive strings sound.

WAU LAU EH AH ???

you guys so HAPPENING ???
i behind time at least 5 years in technology !??
got to pull up my socks lo.....

just bought a Yamaha P50m yesterday!!!
for jamming use only; bring to jam studio,
connect via midi and use studio keyboards.

ah... that's the one just on sale right? hmm.. i like the p80 sound but it's not inside the p-50... i almost bought one last time too. :)

iansoh said:
gigastudio sounds good man. i think i'm gonna try it out. vienna symphonic library sounds tempting. right now i'm running edirol hq orchestral for the orchestral sounds, just ok only. i have yet to come across a nicely responsive strings sound.

Gigastudio is currently the platform for orchestral composition. The other competitor is East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra currently only in Kontakt format (East West decided not to support Gigastudio some time ago - long history which I will not go into). But Vienna Symphonic Library (VSL) is the only sample library in the world that has real legato. The only problem is the cost. If you decide to go for VSL, make sure you have a few PCs as the samples are huge.

P80

iansoh said:
ah... that's the one just on sale right? hmm.. i like the p80 sound but it's not inside the p-50... i almost bought one last time too. :)

yah lah, that's the one on sale, bought it for $150.
some jam studio selling it at $250 and rite now
MusicPlaza selling it at $500.

almost bought one P80 few years ago
but missed the initial launch sale, rite
now settled for Korg SP300. Not too bad.

someone selling an Alesis QS8 88keys at $450.
Fatar made the weighted 88keys, good feel but
sounds are out of date.

Re: P80

synthman said:
sounds are out of date.

Fatar will never be out of date. They still make the best weighted action keyboards out there! I'm disappointed that Yamaha stopped bringing them in.

Cheez said:
synthman said:
sounds are out of date.

Fatar will never be out of date. They still make the best weighted action keyboards out there! I'm disappointed that Yamaha stopped bringing them in.

Halo Boss,

I trying to say the Alesis QS8 selling at $450
sounds are out of date! not FATAR?!!!
how can a controller be out of date???
the weighted keys of AlesisQS8 is made by FATAR,
that's what I'm saying!!! Dun get wrong !!!

even sounds are subjective to be out of date???
people now still want that Juno106 synth, TR808/909 drum sounds,
so still very subjective !!!

My FATAR studiologic SL1100 going at $250, anybody wants it ???

.john

haha.. anyway, i tried the alesis q8.2 keyboard. the keybed is hard. like pounding on rocks. havent tried fatar boards but i heard the circuits get fried easily.

anyway.. john i might take u up on that offer. sounds good and i'm looking for an 88 right now. preferably one that's portable. i was considering the m-audio keystation 88 controller too. gimme some time to think about it. if u're free i'd like to come and try it out too. and see your tons of gear at the same time. :D

synthman said:
I trying to say the Alesis QS8 selling at $450
sounds are out of date! not FATAR?!!!
how can a controller be out of date???
the weighted keys of AlesisQS8 is made by FATAR,
that's what I'm saying!!! Dun get wrong !!!.john

Oh. OK.

Alesis QS8

iansoh said:
haha.. anyway, i tried the alesis q8.2 keyboard. the keybed is hard. like pounding on rocks. havent tried fatar boards but i heard the circuits get fried easily.

anyway.. john i might take u up on that offer. sounds good and i'm looking for an 88 right now. preferably one that's portable. i was considering the m-audio keystation 88 controller too. gimme some time to think about it. if u're free i'd like to come and try it out too. and see your tons of gear at the same time. :D

halo IAN,

why not you get the Alesis QS8, isn't it better?
at least it has some sounds, maybe out-of-date
but still some decent sounds !!!

nah. i don't want the alesis. i just want a pure controller, no sounds. having sounds doesn't mean it's an additional feature. to me it's redundant when i don't need it.

anyway.. john.. where are u??? how come never say anything yet.. i want to buy!

iansoh said:
i was considering the m-audio keystation 88 controller too. gimme some time to think about it.

If key action is important to you, the Keystation Pro 88 is not for you. It looks good with all those knobs and faders, but the keys are terrible. It is totally unnatural and feels like I can break the keys after playing for a while. The black keys when pressed are at the same level and the white keys - makes it feel even wierder. Others have complained about inconsistent velocities - so if you're going to sequence with it, you may have a bit of a headache. But if that's not a concern, the price is good for a 88 key.

A second-hand A90 could a great alternative. I have the A70 - great controller. Regretted that I did not get the A90 initially. Now it is hard to find. Keystation has only 1 midi in and 1 midi out - A70/90 has 4 midi outs, 2 midi ins and 1 midi thru.

Back