Random musings: The Story of Two Farmers

THOA

Just some random thoughts I wrote on my Facebook, which i thought could be something that's good to ponder and debate on:

Two farmers were given a handful of seeds to plant and reap whatever profits that grew from it from. One has only the seeds and the forces of nature. The other is given an extra cup of water a day, and a fistful of fertilizer a month.

A week has gone by. The first farmer has yet to experience rain. The second is seeing his seeds starting to germinate.

By the first month, the second farmer has healthy plants that are bearing flowers and fruits, while the first farmer is barely scraping through the very few seeds that actually germinates.

By the second month, the second farmer is reaping benefits of his plantation, selling a few of his produce and keeping some seeds that grew from his crop to plant new crops. With the money he gets from his sale, he is able to get constant water supply and better fertilizers for his new crop.

The first farmer's plant has just started to reach maturity.

This cycle went on until the second farmer becomes one of the riches crop producers in the land. With the money he reaps from his profits, he is able to buy machinery, land, quality seeds and manpower, which gives him more riches.

The first farmer makes enough to give him back what he had first started with. Maybe more. Maybe less.

When you think about it, this scenario kinda applies to possibly alot of things in our lives. Even in the context of music. The those who can afford it have the resources to create opportunities for nurturing wealth, talent, exposure and more opportunities: buy new pedals, new guitar, take classes, buy recording equipments, upload on the net, travel and gig etc.

Those who don't have to settle with the basics just to survive.

I remember when I was young, I wanted to learn the violin or the piano. But classes were expensive. The instruments themselves were expensive. Still are. Not very affordable at the very least. So the opportunity for me to explore music is pretty limited. Even a simple guitar was beyond my reach till my adulthood.

Perhaps, you could say that there are instruments and that there ways to pursue music if that is really a passion. But tell that to a 9-10 year old boy in an era where personal computers, let alone the internet, is unheard of.

(Btw, I survived through poly life without a computer as well.)

We are living in an age where opportunities are abundant. But among the below average income families, who's parents are cleaners and house movers, where the kids are made to focus on education and basic survival needs, their resources are still limited compared to alot of others. Talent recognition is given to those who can afford to showcase something, with what they can afford to have.

Something as simple as guitar can take you places, but those who have the technology to create less flaws and more impression in their music has the advantage.

I really wonder... if given the right resources and a bit of motivation, how many undiscovered talents among the poor would we actually discover in our shores right now?

I really wonder... if given the right resources and a bit of motivation, how many undiscovered talents among the poor would we actually discover in our shores right now?

wow dude....that was really touching..

Well im myself were poor last time ..no guitar no nothing all those
even no computer all those.
but i wanted to be in a band.To play in gigs,to b reconize,to b a rockstar somehow.Yet i have nothing,education is my only survival in sgp.everywhere here and there always cert is important.Work hard enough just to buy an acoustic guitar all that started to play slowly and slowly this and that bla bla bla i end up to have a band.

then started to play some gigs all this an that.
so yeah.

Determination is important in all of us if we wanted to be a somebody.:)

I used to complain/envy/jealous of those rich kids who all the resources in the world. But then I soon realise there are probably people out there who are worse off than me, so I should just stop complaining and be grateful for what I have.

Ultimately it depends on how passionate and dedicated u are to ur muse. You may not have alot of resources, but in the end you still will get to ur goal, its just that you may take longer than the rich guy. Some motivation: Hendrix was poor but he became a legend :)

Hendrix found his talent when he was given a guitar in an early stage of his life. Beat up acoustic, nothing that cost a tonne of money, just 6 strings on wood. The rest they say is history. Ever wonder what would happen if he was NOT given that guitar in the first place? Do you think he would even KNOW that he likes to play guitar?

I think sometimes, when we look at the poor, we are looking at people in need of welfare: food, shelter, education; the basic survival kits of modern society. Have we ever look at them untapped talents that could really make a difference to the scene?

Among them could be the next Hendrix, Spielberg, or Ronaldo for all you know...

Well.. If you're considering Singapore only, the lower-income is a really small minority within our society, and even then most can live in comfortable means.. And guitar kapok is only $24! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

And come on, just look at the roots of blues.. Most of the greatest blues musician (the 3 kings included), were blacks.. And during the era they emerged from (and were still experiencing), the blacks had it really hard on them.. Slavery, discrimination, etc.. Due to these hardships, they can "feel" the blues and can thus touch others with their music.. They had humble origins, which we can infer was the cause of their success..

Last edited:
But then again ah, we have a lopsided view that a PRS = talent somehow.

Ok ok, that's stretching it abit :mrgreen:

Last edited:
And come on, just look at the roots of blues.. Most of the greatest blues musician (the 3 kings included), were blacks.. And during the era they emerged from (and were still experiencing), the blacks had it really hard on them.. Slavery, discrimination, etc.. Due to these hardships, they can "feel" the blues and can thus touch others with their music.. They had humble origins, which we can infer was the cause of their success..

Taking that into the context of sports, alot of the Brazillian players grew up in poverty.

Then again, in these two examples, they grew up in a culture that lived and breathe the music and the sport. There was a sense of belonging, and being in that "right" environment, they can only nurture their talents to be better.

In a society such as us, where even among the decent living are still struggling to be "recognised", what are the chances that the low-incomed have?

And $24 can buy rice for a family to last them a month if needed. Splurge it on a guitar? That's a call for blood-letting.

bro Thoa

the 1st farmer should learn how to get "sayur "..
although it will be slower..he could get multiple returns than the 2nd dude...
hehehehe

on a serious note..old skool regional rock bands like Search or Wings were never born rich..but pure dedication and hard work paid off..

Back