Queries concerning part timers

Haha... freelance is different. It can be fun and an extra venue to make some dough, for people who hold a day job.

The thing with freelance is that you are not tied down by fixed overhead like rental, manpower and vehicle normally.

Only drawback is that the limitations are plenty, expansion will mean going full time business, and taking on business costs.

But most started out freelancing too, like me. heehee..

okay dun laugh at me but i'm thinking of doing some freelance business dealing with 2nd hand pianos...

as in like i find a seller who is willing to sell his/her piano becaue his/her kid has lost interest in the piano and i'll do some evaluation before determining the estimated selling price and then i'll find an interest buyer who buys the piano from the seller and i get a certain amount of commission in return...

and mind u , 2nd pianos can cost from 1.5k-3k and if i were to charge 5% commission , that's already good money as compared to those salesmen promoting charity tickets at the bus interchange.... 8)

buy low, sell high

buy low, sell high

this is a good idea because the business model is
riding on people who bought the instrument wanting
to spend time on it but lose interest half-way. Indeed
it is happening to other instruments buyer.
eg, synth, guitar bass.

just look at the number of Clavinovas people
are selling at auction sites.

wad i'm doing now is to bombard myself with information on pianos before making the first move towards being the boss of my own company

:wink:

Ok, just some possible advise. I guess you are doing what we call a 'match-making' service. Which is fine and dandy in theory.

But in real life, I think it's not really easy to ask someone (buyer) to follow you around town testing pianos, like viewing flats.
Also the seller may not like the idea of going thru the trouble to wait for you at home to entertain your potential buyer.

People in general like a one-off dealing, means I wanna sell, you come and see, if happy cart it away immediately (which is what the papers classified is doing).
Buyer like to go to a shop with ready stock to test and choose from like 10-20 sets.

Also everyday, there are plenty dealers advertise on papers to buy/sell piano.

Just an opinion, hope you not dashed hopes. Just maybe think different, may have a good idea.

actually that was the exact problem i thought of when considering doing this kinda free lance job.....

i would start off within my circle of frens for example if my fren wants to sell his/her piano , i can step in as a middleman and find a potential buyer.i know my frens and my frens know me so there is this form of trust between us.my frens know that i'm crazy over pianos and they trust that the information i give to them on their pianos is true to best of my knowledge....

sometimes or practically most of the time , these 2nd hand piano shops usually quote a price which is much lower than the actual cost of the seller's piano inclusive of depreciation....

it goes something like this.If u think my quote is low , den go look for another 2nd hand piano dealer.the process goes on and on and everytime the same thing happens again and again....time and energy is wasted in finding a 2nd hand piano dealer on the classified ads and in no time , u feel that the same 2nd piano dealers are always posting the same advertisement on the classified ads day after day....

for in my case , i could quote an estimated price after calculating depreciation.wad i would do is take down the serial number , model and brand of the piano and email the details to the piano manufacturer and wait for a reply concerning the year in which the piano was produced and from there i could work out a decent estimated selling price.
then i'll find some buyers from my own circle of connections and tell them the selling price and then whoever is interested can take a look at the piano...

many 2nd hand piano dealers claim that they're doing it out of pure interest but i dun seem to buy that idea cause after all , they need to pay money for their shop rent , eletricity bills etc and as for me , i dun need so much money to support my lifestyle cause i'm a 17 year old teen after all , i dun have to fully support myself financially well at least not yet..... :p

wad matters most in business is honesty and not money....

Back