Queries concerning part timers

DoubleBlade

should the manager have every right to cut a part timer's pay because he/she has made a mistake which could threaten the image of the company???? considering the fact that a part timer is usually not bounded by any form of working contract.....

okay i might as well relate my entire incident...

being an inexperienced waiter and having only worked on 4 functions , the assistant banquet manager made a huge mistake by reassigning me to another table.usually in this case , only experienced staff are allowed to be reassigned to another table otherwise in the hands of an inexperienced staff like me , confusion sets in which in my case really happened....

i thought the chicken had been cleared and no waiter told me about the "status" of the table which i was assigned to.partially i should blame myself for negligence for not asking the other waiters concerning the "status" of the table.after serving the chicken extremely late , the guest complained that the chicken did not taste like chicken at all.next problem i had was that i forgot to double check for prawn sauce at my new side station as i was reassigned to another table , my side station too was reassigned.the assistant manager received the complain from the guest at the table from which my Captain tried very hard to cover me up until it got out of hand.wad my assistant manager did was ask me a couple of questions and at the same time taking down points which i presume is gonna submit a report to the F&B manager concerning my case.my father who used to be a F&B manager in the service industry told me that a banquet manager should submit a report of the incident to the F&B manager and let the F&B manager decide on taking the appropriate action.
finally my banquet manager came to know about it and he brought me back to the kitchen and shouted at me like as if i'm a small little kiddo who lacked discipline.i'm 17 years old and it's been how many donkey years since i last passed my childhood age and here is this guy shouting at me right in front of my face.i think a 17 year old should deserve much more respect at the very least advised on my mistakes and not let it happen ever again.my father when he was a F&B manager although he has the authority to sack anyone whom he pleases never in his entire working career sacked any staff before because he believes in mistakes are always there to correct a person and one should learn from his/her own mistakes and try not to repeat the same mistakes again.screaming and shouting at a staff over a mistake would not undo the mistake....

although some of u might say that some things in life we have to learn it the hard way but i guess it's all up to u people out there to justify this case....

so should my banquet manager have the every right to cut my pay over this incident considering the fact that it is an internal incident which means that the guests never did threaten to get a lawyer to sue my workplace nor complain to the MOM or CASE which leads to bad publicity for the hotel??????

btw , this is my first screw up which ever happened to me during work since i started working for the very first time....

i leave it up to u people to decide for me.....

my stand would be neutral..

firstly u said that its wrong for them to reassign u to other tables
-its their fault
-they shld take the blame

however u said that u knew how to do it.. but lacked experience
-u shld have told them?
-mistakes have consequences

then u said that he shouted at u
-but did he actually cut ur pay?
-perhaps he was just telling u off? shouting --> yea i hate them.. yet they could tell u the nice way too.. but diff ppl have diff ways of handling ppl..

not sure if its really reliable but yea.. i don tink they shld cut ur pay.. first time offenders usually get by scot free.. its the second time.. mistakes do happen.. no one can be as perfect as God.. and usually ppl correct themselves thru mistakes and learn from it.. if it continues to happen.. i tink the manager would have every right to cut the pay.. worse come to the worse, sack lor..

xxjerryxx said:
my stand would be neutral..

firstly u said that its wrong for them to reassign u to other tables
-its their fault
-they shld take the blame

however u said that u knew how to do it.. but lacked experience
-u shld have told them?
-mistakes have consequences

actually i did not know that reassigning tables in the midst of a function requires an experience staff to handle until i came home and told my dad about it.they juz reassigned me to another table and i thought it's okay for them to do dat but i did not know dat confusion might set in if an inexperience staff handles another table which is not their "home ground".dats wad my dad told me thou....

he being an F&B manager in the service industry before is fully aware of the consequences of reassigning an inexperienced staff like me to another table during the function and true enough....confusion set in!!!!

hey julius, juz heck care that beatch, last time dat restaurant i working in the chef also always pick on mi wad, so wad i do? i quit lor, sumore dey only paying mi $900 a month for 6 day week, 8 hour split shift, should be ez enuff to get another job wad

i was thinking if they call me up again for another function , i would purposely break plates , pour fish sauce on the guest , spill drinks on the guest , piss the banquet manager off AGAIN and then quit in the midst.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

it's not my responsibility anymore...it's the banquet manager's responsibility now....

remember the banquet manager gets all the blame from the F&B manager should a complained be raise to the F&B manager....

DoubleBlade said:
i was thinking if they call me up again for another function , i would purposely break plates , pour fish sauce on the guest , spill drinks on the guest , piss the banquet manager off AGAIN and then quit in the midst.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

it's not my responsibility anymore...it's the banquet manager's responsibility now....

remember the banquet manager gets all the blame from the F&B manager should a complained be raise to the F&B manager....

now dats being immature, tsk tsk tsk, grow up, go back there as a customer den F the manager

the mgt usually are under pressure to perform because they assign others tasks without doing them themselves. threatening/ shouting/ reprimanding/ etc are forms of control- the human interpretation of it is 'authority'. when not achieving their desired outcomes, these people assert control over their subordinates. often, they don't factor in the human element- to put it simply: you shout at others, others don't have feelings is it?

often, these authoritative individuals forget the repercussions of doing just that; what if the people whom they shouted at, decide to retaliate? most of the time, they'll only regret when something happens to them/ their responsibilities.

please, i'm not trying to instigate, but people at the top often are emotional handicaps. what does it take for these people to stop & think before they act? is it by spilling blood? (a bit drastic... please don't do it, you'll be in jail before you know it...).

i think dun do anything which u gonna regret 4 the rest of ur life......

i think it's best u quit n find another job lor......

n i feel sumtimes emotions KILL.......

:twisted:

afterdeath said:
n i feel sumtimes emotions KILL.......

it is true, emotions can kill. cool down for a few days, before you do anything. anyway, it won't be worth your while to spoil your record with a bad report, whether or not you will still work there. word spreads around la, regardless if you were right or wrong. still young, not worth to get bad stain because of brainless people. :?

bqt

DoubleBlade said:

hi DoubleBlade,

i had my fair share of banquet waitering during school days
when my pocket money is hardly enough for me to pursue my
music interest. my pocket money in school days is only $200 a
month and need to work P/T for extra cash to go music class.

my advice is doing banquet functions is flexible, dun be emotional
about the past bad experience and forgo the next chance to make
some more money. take it as an experience and move on, you'll be
good at your job as time goes by. it might not pay well but at least
let you have some extra cash.

Banquet function is in all hotels, do your job well, the mgr will recognise
your effort and gives you privileges such as doing breakfast function
and luncheon. Chinese dinner course is tough but after a while it is the
standard menu in all hotels.

as you work more often in a hotel, they'll notice you and treat you better.
my experience in the F&B line has helped me to get out of my shell and
meet people, and it'll be the only time at your age to put on a waiter suit.
when you start working in your professional line, these experience will be only memories for rememberance.

Live life and enjoy life.

It's never nice to get told off, especially since you don't feel it is your fault. In this case, looks like both parties share the blame. You can: 1. hang on to the lousy feeling and hating the manager, 2. let it go. Sounds like nothing new.... Anyhow, feeling angry is OK. But no point hanging on to it. The manager may be enjoying other things in his life right now; so your feeling lousy does not make him feel any worse. It only makes YOU feel bad. Not worth it since you may be the only party suffering right now!

Anyway, you've got a taste of working life which will be good experience. We all get told off one time or another during work. When things go wrong, heads will have to roll. Many times, the person who suffer may be an innocent party. There will always be a "fall-guy". I know of some in my line of work. Getting fired for presenting the boss's idea which didn't work out isn't a good feeling. They could just wallow in their sorrows. But they didn't and they are now top-notch expertise in their fields.

Bongman has good suggestions. I think you should not quit. Give it another shot - to prove that you can do it. Otherwise this incident will remain a painful memory which can affect your future work.

ur under the force of their authority liao.. u say urself also.. they could sack u if they like it.. whats to complain?

just take it in ur stride.. take ur pay.... and quit when ur school starting.. and don ever go back.

I can relate somewhat. But just see if you can avoid getting your pay cut, cos thats just crap. hes just an F&B manager, i dont think the money is coming out of his pockets eh?

Its hard la. I used to burn my bridges and stuff by telling people (supervisors, managers) off when i get disgruntled at work. Can't say i have no regrets there lol.

i email the MOM concerning this query of mine and let them justify how serious is my case and whether i do deserve a pay cut or not...

some things in life it's rational for a manager to cut an employee's pay...
take for example if the reporting time for work is 6pm and here comes one of ur staff strolling in at 7pm.u have every right to cut his pay ACCORDINGLY which means he is late for an hour , so u cut his pay for 1 hour and it's only fair cause reporting to work by an hour late , it's juz as good as saying that he did not do any work for an hour....

but for cutting my pay because i served the chicken late and forgot to double check for prawn sauce on my new side station which i evantually had none on my side station and serving the prawn sauce when the guest had almost finished eating all the prawns????

the people at singaporeexpats forum mentioned that this is a super minor mistake as compared to serving pork to a muslim table for religious reasons which in my point of view is 100 worst them my situation....

pay cut ?

throughout my experience in the P/T job,
no such thing as pay cut. Pay cut ? You dun
earn much anyway !?

the managers are responsible for the staff,
no such thing as pay cut, becos you are employed
to do a job and if there's fault at work the most you
get some scolding that's all.

IMHO, it will be really sad if MOM actually bother to reply. Judging from how many people are actually jobless, company shifting production out of singapore and how mayn families are actually suffering due to the sole breadwinner is not working and that they have to pay back the housing loan, bills after bills after bills. Instead of catering to all these people, they rather choose to cater to such funny complain :lol:

What is hapopening to the young people of today? If cannot take it, quit and go work some other place.

Learn from the mistake and change for the better instead. And even if it dont work out. So what, learn to live with it. Life is not pretty at all...

brundisium said:
IMHO, it will be really sad if MOM actually bother to reply. Judging from how many people are actually jobless, company shifting production out of singapore and how mayn families are actually suffering due to the sole breadwinner is not working and that they have to pay back the housing loan, bills after bills after bills. Instead of catering to all these people, they rather choose to cater to such funny complain :lol:

What is hapopening to the young people of today? If cannot take it, quit and go work some other place.

Learn from the mistake and change for the better instead. And even if it dont work out. So what, learn to live with it. Life is not pretty at all...

i guess it's better to be the boss of ur own company....

hmmm...maybe i should start one and be the boss of my own company

:D :D :D :D

Problems exists in all levels of the working echelon. Only problems are different. But they'll there.

Take it from me. To be your own boss, you need a certain mentality that not many people can be prepared to fit in.

More than 9 out of 10 business will fail with result in the person losing pratically his entire savings or worse, fall into debt penniless.

The remaining 1 out of 10 most of time just scrap by. Business that can make it earning enough money are less chance than striking the first 3 prize of 4D.

You increase you chances of a 'comfortable' life 1000X when you go work for someone else, that's reality. Be content and learn from mistakes to become better next round.

what i mean by be the boss my own company is start to do some freelance business of my own.....

i was juz considering that as an alternative to my current job which i presume they already sacked me cause there's a function on sunday and they have yet to call and tell me the reporting time on sunday....

Latest posts

Back