Picks and sound!!!

NewGuy

When I use different picks like a .5mm and a 1.0mm the sound is so different when picking... is it my hand or the pick?

The .5mm sound more sharp bright and clear where as the 1.0 sound dark and warmth...

Whoa... haha... diff pick could actually sound diff... I thought I was sleepy and hearing things...

Thanks vaiyen for the input... by the way what pick are u using?

thickness, material, and the angle of attack, all make a difference to your sound.
I use Dunlop Jazz 3s.

No wonder... I play the same stuff over and it sound different... wha... so much diversity... I am used to using the .5 pick so when change to a thicker one like the 1.0 pick I find it weird... wha I am now in the middle of an identity crisis man... haha... dunno which pick to use...

Find and use the one you're most comfortable with. Then apply different styles of picking for variety, so you learn more control, and how to achieve certain tones.

haiz... shld have bought just 2 diff pick size but I bought every size dunlop have to offer... now got at least 5-6 diff size of pick to play around man...

I also chose the hard ones only, but had to deliberate between diff materials, diff sizes, diff tips, grip/no grip. haha I'm glad to be over it.

The lightest pick i use is the red jazz 3 which i use for acoustics. Other than that, electric stuff all handled by anything made of delrin and thickness of more than 1.5mm :D

Thick because it's better for faster playing. Executing more elaborate techniques is easier. Cos you're trying to cut down on unneccessary movements, and a thin pick will sorta flop around if you try to speed pick with it. Try it, you'll know what i mean.

NewGuy said:
When I use different picks like a .5mm and a 1.0mm the sound is so different when picking... is it my hand or the pick?

The .5mm sound more sharp bright and clear where as the 1.0 sound dark and warmth...

Its the pick. And you have to note the material of the pick... different materials give you different sounds, not so much the thickness of it.

I assume your 1.0 mm is a Dunlop Jazz III? That would sound pretty warm, esp good for jazz. But note the different material if you take up a mini Dunlop Stubby 1.0mm (those small transparent purple ones)... now that would sound much brighter and IMO, great for shred.

I use the Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0 mm. :twisted:

Personally i feel the 1.5mm sticky picks is a handy tool for shredding n sweeping ppl. Bt it doesnt seem to b ard anymore :(

Latest posts

Back