Pianist/KeyBoard Player

Hi. Read from your other post that you're looking for students. All the best in your piano teaching.

We've various types pianists in SOFT, ranging from beginners to accomplished performers.

My age: I believe same age as James - boss of SOFT. Classically trained and playing for as long a I can remember (current practice repertoire, which means most of my current pieces includes Debussy, Rachmaninoff, Chopin etc, but really hooked onto Rachmaninoff at the moment). Also play jazz, contemporary, and my own compositions (so I can truly play "as the composer intended"!).

More info on yourself?

I am also classically trained!! Wow cheez, you still practice classical pieces? I stopped at ATCL and haven been practicing my piano for quite some time. How do you motivate yourself to practice classical repertoire on your own? I like to play my own improvisation as well but I didn't really pen my composition down. I learn my improvisation skills from playing in church. I like to explore harmonies which are interesting.

That is a very good question!!! The reason I'm motivated to keep practicing is for the sake of my kids. I realise I need to create an environment at home so piano music is always part of our home. I practice to be an example to my kids - so they know practicing is important (they always complain when told to practice). My fingers are certainly not the same as before, but they slowly come back to shape after going through scales and especially Bach. Still learning new pieces now (so I show my kids practicing techniques, how to do through section by section again and again to get it right etc).

The other major motivator is playing for church. Although I've played less for church now (mainly left it to the next generation to play and learn), I feel I'll not be a good steward if I don't keep up/ improve my skills.

I encourage you to pen down your composition. I've got quite a few compositions I've written down (and recorded), some I've not written down but still in my head - the reason is the lack of time. Likewise, my improvisation comes from playing for church (when I was a teenager). Now I'm trying to improve on jazz improvisations and techniques. A lot (I mean A LOT!) to learn there! Different to playing for church. So...still learning.

Glad to hear somebody actually exploring harmony!!! I always apply harmony during improvisations and also in all my compositions.

Last edited:
Lovely!! You practice to motivate your kids!! Really a great parent!! So are they learning piano from you?

Currently, I am inspired by a documentary on concert pianist. This got me interested to go back to practice classical pieces! But still lack the discipline to get down to practice it.

I also plays in church! Sometimes I search youtube videos to see if there are nice videos teaching harmonies. My improvisation also mainly comes from playing in church. I am good in churning out with melodies but not as much in terms of the lyrics. I did a little recording on my composition last year then didnt really continue from there. A little amateur with some mistakes here and there. the recording device also not very good. But you can check it out at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXFDpVu1LuQ What do you use to record your composition?

I'm actually 20 years old this year just graduated from poly. I'm a female by the way :)
I have been teaching since I was 17 years old in a music school to earn some pocket money.
Well now I will be learning Dip Level with a piano teacher and yup I hope I can spread my musical knowledge to everyone who loves music! :)

Cool!! Diploma is not easy to learn!! Jia you!! Continue to spread your piano knowledge to others!! So what are you plans after graduating??

cse1217, not bad clip from youtube. Keep up the composition. My recordings are all done via software. So I record using keyboard, softsamplers and softsynths. No, kids not learning from me. The problem is I get too critical and I kill their interest. Having perfect pitch is also a problem - because I pick up every single mistake almost immediately. By the way, which documentary on concert pianists did you watch? Probably can get my kids to watch to inspire them!

Fullofcandies, are you taking diploma for teaching or performing?

Thanks for your encouragement! :) Wow, you have perfect pitch!! Ya, its not easy to teach our own family members! Very easily impatient. This is the video I watch: http://www.pianostreet.com/blog/video-picks/imagine-being-a-concert-pianist-4703/
It's talking about this young boy at a very young age determined to become a concert pianist. He spent many hours practicing on a daily basis and go out of town for his piano lesson on the weekends. When you see his playing, you will be astonished at how high the level he is playing at the age of 11!

Back