NATIONAL BANDS CONVENTION

mikemann said:
Or if you do not like the idea of charging the audience for the gig, you can also try in future gigs to ask volunteers to pass some cans around, so the audience will contribute what they see fit (is this legal?). Anyway it all goes back into the funds of the heartrock community.

Firstly, you need to get a fund-raising license from CID (if I rem correctly). Then you'll need to find an authorised auditor (EY? KPMG?) to audit the donations. They will have to report to the CID dept on the takings. Only 30% of the donations can go to the expenses incurred for the event/ job undertaken to raise funds.

Anthony, if you need more details on fund-raising, Patrick (MFG) is your man to talk to...

For a start we may have a wish list of bands that we like to bring into Singapore for the Asian Indie Fest, the gig in conjunction with NBC.

Thailand
Taiwan
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Japan
Korea
Malaysia

any recommendations from SOFTIES?

We'll extend our invitation to Indie Labels, music manufacturers and dealers from different countries as well.

If we can work this fast, we'll probably have it by the end of the year at Singapore Expo. We still have some slots at Expo before it's being booked.

im surprised as well as disappointed to see... why isn't China in the list?
i would replace taiwan with china if i'm you...reason is there're lots of good unsigned indie bands in beijing and i've witness quite a few in some underground pubs... very talented... very different, very refreshing to hear them out and it would be much cheaper to invite them comparing to taiwan, which has a relatively high standard of living. Even though i noticed in taipei that there're a lot of aspiring musicians, they're still best at their typical taiwanese love songs which has already been flooding our 933 airwaves for decades...

i would strongly recommend china... they don't say beijing rocks for no reason :D

try the Autumn Tiger site for some inspiration eh? :lol:

http://autumntiger.com/news/sino/

I heard from some friends that Rivermaya from the Philippines is excellent but they appear on MTV and all. I wun say it'll be cheap to bring them in.

For the Hong Kong acts, I think there was a SOFT forum member (ellenshane?) who introduced me to quite a couple of HK indie acts. Some of the are electro acts. There's this cutesy act, Pancake... Of course, hardcore act King Lychee which played in KL before.

I agree with stillwater on the China thing... I read before that the top Beijing punk band can sell a million albums in China alone... but of course, 750K is pirated lah! hehhehe :lol:

there's also this equally excellent band from phillipines called Wolfgang. would love to see them in action again although i dunno whether they're still together or not. been like 6 years since i last saw them on MTV. :supz:

king lychee has quite a following over here too...

from malaysia...i would LOVE to see Koffin Kanser play over here. :)

would it be better if we hand pick 5 local bands and groom them to be really good. pack them onto a plane and arrange them to perform at all the countries mentioned above.

stillwater said:
im surprised as well as disappointed to see... why isn't China in the list?

Stillwater, you shouldn't be disappointed. surprised maybe. China was a slipped. how can we not include China that has more underground bands than any other Asian countries.

soft said:
would it be better if we hand pick 5 local bands and groom them to be really good. pack them onto a plane and arrange them to perform at all the countries mentioned above.

to say it is better means a choice between the two. it is good to groom bands and bring them out, but I see that as a seperate matter.

BTW I have also included India, if there are any and The Philippines as well in my working papers. But at the end of the day, depending on the availability of funds, we may have to do due diligence.

hey heartrock i can provide free of charge service to help u do some survey the next timeim in beijing, and if i see potential one, i can approach them and give them your contact...

im currently in taiwan n i move around taipei and kaohsiung. would like to help, but seriously until now i haven't seen something that's impressive...
maybe no luck...yet

10 foreign bands, 20 local bands over 3 days...not necessary 10 bands on each day, HOW MUCH would you be willing to pay for an indoor gig.

What would you hope to see, or listen to, or get, or to achieved..

1. at the National Bands Convention

2. at the Asian Indie Festival

10 foreign bands, 20 local bands over 3 days...not necessary 10 bands on each day, HOW MUCH would you be willing to pay for an indoor gig.

maybe $10-15? depending on the lineup,venue...if its really good i wldn't mind paying more

What would you hope to see, or listen to, or get, or to achieved..

1. at the National Bands Convention

2. at the Asian Indie Festiva

It wld be great if indie bands frm ard this region and other parts share with us how they market and promote their music. Maybe the more successful ones can do kinda like a "workshop", sharing n exchanging ideas.

Asian Indie Festival? That wld be interesting. Its certainly an eye opener to see independant rock bands from china,taiwan,vietnam perform. And of course places we dun normally associate rock bands with..like mexico,italy.
I hope if this idea is ever realised it cn be a big outdoor event,maybe even internationally recognised. U know like how ppl/tourists go to UK for Glastonbury, or Australia for Big Day Out...haha, juz fantasizing a bit. But of course everything has to start somewhere, i will certainly support the events if it gets realised.

cheers

Japan:
Many quality acts from this land.
would love to see Nature Living, Oceanlane, Envy, New Starting Over

The Philppines:
Typecast

Thanks Pinkbox & Cereal for the input.

Precisely, we want to do what you are looking for. The venue would be Singapore Expo Indoor...fully air-con, and I think we are thinking of stretching it even to after midnight...subject to licensing.

But this is going to cost a lot of money because to on the air-con of one hall cost several thousand of $ per day. But we'll try to make it as affordable as possible by getting sponsors.

We want to get speakers, not necessary from the region (except the bands are from the region) to share how the indie labels and indie movements work, and how we can cross market each other. One idea thrown up was to exhibit musical instruments used by bands from history till now, and also Bill Clinton's collection of sexaphone. This would interest the public in bands and thus getting more followings and bigger market. Right now the scene only depends on a very close community, and this is not enough.

Back