My Tribute to the Gods of Metal!

i think warlord is absolutely right. these are 4 guys who have always done what they wanted to do. the part about kirk and no solos, i watched some kind of moster and there was a scene where kirk was saying that he didnt want to have a solo or not have a solo just becos it was "trendy". he wanted to do so bcos he felt that the songs without solos just captuerd the vibe that they was present at that time. even megadeth and slayer sort of toned down. dave lombardo even said he was bored of being the "metal dummer'. he wanted to be the "drummer". these 4 guys are men now. they arent the reckless teenagers writing about destroying stuff and so on. half of metallica is married wif kids.

i spose the crap bottom _end is talking about is load and reload. well sure they arent great albums, but the important thing here is that they stayed true to themselves. and they cant be in it for merely the money if they were churning out crap.

sure nobody is begrudging iron maiden for sticking to their signature sound. but when i bought dance of death and listened to it i thot pls try something different. its the same high flying vocals with the melodic guitars. its a great album and all but is that all iron maiden are capable of?

ps: warlord i like the way u organise ur posts. very easy to read.

lars_ulrich said:
i think warlord is absolutely right. these are 4 guys who have always done what they wanted to do. the part about kirk and no solos, i watched some kind of moster and there was a scene where kirk was saying that he didnt want to have a solo or not have a solo just becos it was "trendy". he wanted to do so bcos he felt that the songs without solos just captuerd the vibe that they was present at that time. even megadeth and slayer sort of toned down. dave lombardo even said he was bored of being the "metal dummer'. he wanted to be the "drummer". these 4 guys are men now. they arent the reckless teenagers writing about destroying stuff and so on. half of metallica is married wif kids.

i spose the crap bottom _end is talking about is load and reload. well sure they arent great albums, but the important thing here is that they stayed true to themselves. and they cant be in it for merely the money if they were churning out crap.

sure nobody is begrudging iron maiden for sticking to their signature sound. but when i bought dance of death and listened to it i thot pls try something different. its the same high flying vocals with the melodic guitars. its a great album and all but is that all iron maiden are capable of?

ps: warlord i like the way u organise ur posts. very easy to read.

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O Where did you see SKOM?

[quote="Vaiyen]

There's nothing wrong if they had remained the "same old Metallica"! Do you think anyone is begrudging Slayer and Iron Maiden for sticking to their signature sound? No!

I personally feel that Metallica have either lost the ability to write kickass metal songs, or they are writing mainstream rock songs because they feel they can make more money that way. The 'bored of metal' excuses are just that, excuses, IMO.

FYI, Deep Purple did the thing with the orchestra way back in the 70s.[/quote]

Deep Purple 1970 Live with The Royal London Philharmonic Orch - even greater musically as they were playing 'classical' movements with the Orch n going into heavy blues based improvisations - classical+blues = great combo :)

Metallica? 'Kill' em all' till 'Justice 4 all' LPs - beyond those, i moved on.

There is no need to reply to any posts because I am sticking to my stance of:
Metallica have either lost the ability to write kickass thrash songs, or they are intentionally writing commercial rock songs to make more money. The reasons "bored of metal", "maturing", are just excuses I feel.

About Metallica "doing what they like to do" and not jumping on any trend, I beg to differ. 2003 was the year nu-metal was hot. It had downtuned guitars, simple riffs, and no solos. 2003 was the year St Anger came out, It had downtuned guitars, simple riffs, and no solos. Coincidence? I think not.

It's all about the money.

Vaiyen said:
There is no need to reply to any posts because I am sticking to my stance of:
Metallica have either lost the ability to write kickass thrash songs, or they are intentionally writing commercial rock songs to make more money. The reasons "bored of metal", "maturing", are just excuses I feel.

About Metallica "doing what they like to do" and not jumping on any trend, I beg to differ. 2003 was the year nu-metal was hot. It had downtuned guitars, simple riffs, and no solos. 2003 was the year St Anger came out, It had downtuned guitars, simple riffs, and no solos. Coincidence? I think not.

It's all about the money.

It's sad that you realise when a good point is being made you quickly turn hostile and arrogant. If they were in it for the money, the private planes that the black album bought amongst other things would have satisfied their "greed". And do you really think they are that stupid? They are rich beyond means now, so why would they continue touring? Why would they run a fanclub for more than 50,000 people at a loss every month?. Why would they give away free DVD's, give free downloads, give nearly daily free videos? And what if they simply did not want to write thrash songs anymore? What, musicians are humans?

The-Warlord said:
It's sad that you realise when a good point is being made you quickly turn hostile and arrogant. If they were in it for the money, the private planes that the black album bought amongst other things would have satisfied their "greed". And do you really think they are that stupid? They are rich beyond means now, so why would they continue touring? Why would they run a fanclub for more than 50,000 people at a loss every month?. Why would they give away free DVD's, give free downloads, give nearly daily free videos? And what if they simply did not want to write thrash songs anymore? What, musicians are humans?

Ahh... human greed. When is it ever enough? would you be satisfied with just one PRS Signature Series guitar? Only that. Nothing else for your entire life.

You wouldnt would you? As for the free DVDs, free downloads, where you get that from? If you're referring to Metallivault, ITS NOT FREE. You got to purchase the bloody St Anger CD before you can get access using the CD Key. There is no free lunch.

As for other FREEBIES, Did they give it all to their fans or just for publicity purposes in the hopes that more people would purchase it?

Finally did you see Metallica's main site?

In the past, it was news, metalifan posts, everything about the ongoings of Metallica.

Nowadays, its all merchandise splashed across the front page. Talk about being satisfied. FYI, some parts of SKOM was SCRIPTED. And the betrayal of Dave Mustaine was quite uncalled for. Lars said not to publish that interview, in the end he did it for $$$$.

What say you dude?

Any case, we seem to drift off from the main subject already. This aint a Metallica Good Napster Bad post.

Oh yeah, speaking of closure of napter.Did last felt threatened that his ricebowl might get lesser..LOL

hostile and arrogant? me??? please don't be oversensitive or take it personally. I was only putting my point across strongly. No offence meant.

well i think metallica are truest band. they do meet n greeets b4 every single gig and actually spend a good 5 mins with each person and not just say hi and go off. they are about the only band who dare to be different and dare to venture into unchartered territory. and just for ur information, the alternate cut of the lars-mustaine scene willl be on the dvd so i think thats fair enuf.

lars_ulrich said:
well i think metallica are truest band. they do meet n greeets b4 every single gig and actually spend a good 5 mins with each person and not just say hi and go off. they are about the only band who dare to be different and dare to venture into unchartered territory. and just for ur information, the alternate cut of the lars-mustaine scene willl be on the dvd so i think thats fair enuf.

It's really hard to digest your views as unbiased.
After all, your nick is LARS ULRICH. :lol:

well of course my views are biased towards them. im a fan..duh!!! if i wasnt a fan wud i be doing this?? im a fan bcos i believe that they are real and not some fake poser band.

Sorry for joining in late for this "MEGA-DISCUSSION".

:D

I feel the same way about Metallica when Load and Reload were released. they are not the typical old Metalica kinda songs and its kinda hard for me and my buddies to digest.

Heck. We even decided to give it a C minus after the first listening. But after repeated listening, I wouldn't even want to put it down. I was listening to those 2 cds for 2 weeks consicutively. Trying to digest and to understand what Metallica is trying to do. I found 2 new gems in Load and Reload. Being a fan of "epic" music, I decided that Fixxer and Outlaw Torn were the best epic songs that Metallica had ever wrote. Anybody beg to differ?? Please add in..

To me personally, the music scene is ever-changing. Some of U might complain about Metallica's website regarding the contents and all that..
Well, of course they have their own reason of doing that.

Maybe, and I mean maybe is because of the steady increment of the free/illegal downloading of music.. Because no matter what technology that the industry came out to protect the rights, there will always be ppl breaching the CD protection system, etc,etc..

As for my musical stand, I kinda stick to whatever good music that's OK to me. I don't really care if ppl say that my fav artists are selling out or whatever.

As technology progresses from cassette, MD, CD, DVD or whatever, everything changes too.. Its up to oneself to grasp the benefit and discard the bad..

Back