My Tribute to the Gods of Metal!

Cool blog dude! Agree on the "Mustaine is God" bit.

Glad you omitted Anthrax - they were always touted as one of the original 'Big Four' of Thrash (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer as well) but I never liked them personally.

I'd add:
Morbid Angel
Death
Sepultura

i dont understand why lars is a jackass. and about metallica selling out, i dont think they ever sold out. if you're talking about load and reload, well they are great hard rock albums, maybe not the agressive shit that we were used to but great hard rock nonetheless. they were at the stage in their career where they ddnt give a shit about being labelled "metal" or "pop" or "blues" and could just about do anythig they wanted to.

vernplum said:
Glad you omitted Anthrax - they were always touted as one of the original 'Big Four' of Thrash (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer as well) but I never liked them personally.

Yea I agree with you. Anthrax were always a joke band to me. I'll never take seriously a band who don't take themselves seriously. They din have many good songs too. Testament are far better I feel.

I've not heard much from the bands you mentioned, but I'll check them out soon.

lars_ulrich said:
i dont understand why lars is a jackass. .

Opinions on Metallica vary widely depending on when people were first exposed to them.

For those who followed them from Kill 'Em All, thru Lightning, Puppets and Justice, when Metallica really were cutting edge, trailblazing thrashers, hungry to prove themselves as the heaviest, fastest metal band on Earth, the relatively commercial, radio-friendly "Black" album really was the beginning of their downhill suckeroo period, which continues to this day. That thing with the orchestra? Egad! What a dumb idea!

It's true that Metallica didn't give a shit what people thought. Unfortunately this included their core diehard thrash fanbase, whom they succesfully alienated; something they have never recovered from. Sure, they've gone mainstream, but where is their musical integrity now? Any real longtime Metallica fan considers this a crying shame that they are a mere shadow of their former selves.

Sad to see Metallica at this stage.

I could still remember, i used to take the bus to school, while listening to Kill Em All on my cassette walkman. Yes, a Cassette Walkman!

They were so true to their fans then, even while performing here at the Indoor Stadium.

But just look at their website. Everything is about merchandise, purchasing, etc. To them, everything is about money now.

If they could justify that with their music, it's still alrite.

For someone who once said ""If you came here to see spandex, eye makeup, and the words 'Ooh baby' in every fuckin' song, this ain't the fuckin' band. We came to bang some heads."", i'm seriously dissappointed with james hetfield.

Look at their songs now, whats with the yeah yeah, baby thingy.

They've just gone from bad to worse.

Bottom_End said:
Sad to see Metallica at this stage.

I could still remember, i used to take the bus to school, while listening to Kill Em All on my cassette walkman. Yes, a Cassette Walkman!

A Cassette Walkman? You must be nearly as old as me! I remember my first Sony Walkman - it was considered 'compact' for the time (around 1986) but in comparison, was about 5 times bigger than my new 5Gb Creative Zen Micro (oh yes - early Xmas present to self). It had those headphones with the big round bits of sponge that covered the entire ear - none of these namby-pambyin-the-ear thingies you get these days.

God I loved that Walkman. My (admittedly pirated) copy of "Ride The Lightning" spent an extended period of time in there and I remember suffering involuntary bouts of air guitar while standing on the crowded bus (this still happens).

LEGAL DISCLAIMER AND MESSAGE TO LARS ULRICH: Vern now owns a legitimate fully paid up copy of "Ride The Lightning". Receipt available for viewing upon request.

Vaiyen said:
vernplum said:

Yea I agree with you. Anthrax were always a joke band to me. I'll never take seriously a band who don't take themselves seriously. They din have many good songs too. Testament are far better I feel.

Ah - you would have loved the line-up at Clash Of The Titans (88/89 I believe) at Wembley Arena - Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies... oh yes...

well im sure if metallica continued to put out heavy, fast, agressive records then pple wud be saying "the same old metallica". look at slayer, they have pretty much the same fast, agressive theme for all their albums. dave lombardo even left them to pursue other genres of drumming. it got pretty boring after a while. in an interview lars ulrich once said that things got too boring for them and they wanted to just fuck things up and do different stuff, instead of being labelled "metal" all the time. and thus, they did the orchestra thing. sure it was a prety dumb thing but which other metal band wud even dare to do such a thing?

+1 to the above post
yea its called reinventing and diversity. I mean just look at megadeth. The system has failed sounds so much like peace sells, its like nothing new, its just plain old boring megadeth(no offence, i've head a few tracks off both albums)
People do grow up and mature, they're not always in the kill'em'all mood

lars_ulrich said:
well im sure if metallica continued to put out heavy, fast, agressive records then pple wud be saying "the same old metallica". look at slayer, they have pretty much the same fast, agressive theme for all their albums. dave lombardo even left them to pursue other genres of drumming. it got pretty boring after a while. in an interview lars ulrich once said that things got too boring for them and they wanted to just xxxx things up and do different stuff, instead of being labelled "metal" all the time. and thus, they did the orchestra thing. sure it was a prety dumb thing but which other metal band wud even dare to do such a thing?

I beg to differ though.
Progression is good, but if you're in the right direction.

Churning out crap is not being versatile, and simply disclaiming that you're doing different stuff does not justify the crappy music.

However, for the orchestra thingy, kudos to metallica for their ability to pull off the whole thing. Not much band are able to do that.

However, apart from S&M, what else have they? It's been downhill all the way. With them trying to bullS**t their way through with whatever crap they've been churning, and trying to justify everything. Making their "fans" and the media thinking, that's what they wanted to do, but in actual fact, it's all about the $$$$.

Think about it. Look at megadeth. With their "The system has failed sounds so much like peace sells, its like nothing new, its just plain old boring megadeth", dave mustaine is still highly respected. He still stuck with his own formula, and giving back to his fans.

Look at all the great bands today, they still stuck to their roots, instead of being so bloody diversified, that they are even confused with their own agendas.

One minute for the fans, next minute for the money. No doubt, which band doesnt wanna earn money? But if you produce quality instead of quantity, that somehow makes you seem credible.

Some kind of monster. Bah!

Isn't the whole rock star thing about being your self? As far as I can see, Lars is one of the few people in the business today who is still him self. I don’t mean in terms of drinking, partying and being "metal". But if he doesn’t like something, he will do something about it. Now lets take the whole band - They don't (Although I think most of the following are cool) Have long hair and feel the need to head bang, they don’t wear completely leather, have skulls everywhere, and don't sing about dragons and demons. They have done so, and have now moved on. Lars has participated in 2 "Make a wish" events for his fans and he has personally flown across the country to meet a dying fan who sent a letter to the fan club saying how much he likes the band. Lars has had the balls to step forward in front of the other unhappy musicians, out of the safe-zone, and taken on Napster, ready to take the hits. Lars has co-formed a band that has the best "rock star" attitude one can hope for - They do what they want, when they want. Isn’t this how people always portray rock stars? Yet when there is a fitting person, such as Lars (Or any member of Metallica) people feel...threatened? And the natural 21st centaury response to a threat is to insult, lie and generally be ignorant about the whole situation until the threat disappears. Well, sorry to disappoint you my friends, but Lars and co are sticking around for a while yet.

And since when are Metallica Nu-metal? No-one has even given me decent reason for this -

Because their songs are detuned So was Sad But True, and even The Thing That Should Not Be.

There are no solos Kirk said himself that he didn't think they worked. Very simple, and once again another example of the perfect rock star attitude. Kirk isn't stupid, and knew very well that people would be angry at no solos. Despite this, he left them out, sticking to what he believes in.

Those are about the two most heard reasons I have heard, yet am glad to debate any others.

And once again, Metallica sold out. This seems to be thrown around so much people really don't know what they are saying. It’s the whole "Mob rules" concept. Get enough people saying one thing and it will quickly spread like wild fire until out of control. Where did they sell out? By Changing? Are people really that afraid of changing? In Kirk's words, "People are afraid of their favorite little band in their back pocket getting to big to fit in that pocket"...and thus people throw it out. Think about it guys, the only legit reasons people have for them selling out are their albums, which is change. Don't even start on cutting their hair - Kerry King hasn't a millimeter of hair on his head!

If Metallica’s purpose in the business was to make money, then they have succeeded -and stopped at the black ablum - in total over 80 million albums sold, they have private planes, multiple properties, dozens of vehicles, hundreds of guitars, and enough money to retire 60 times over.

If Metallica wanted to become popular, then they have succeeded. They still sell out, or even over sell 85% of their shows. They have played to audiences of up to half a million people.

If Metallica wanted to become powerful, then they have succeeded. They were among the first western bands to enter the Soviet Union. They make waves throughout the music community with everything they do -whether it is liked or disliked, it always gets noticed (How long have people been bitching about St.Anger?)

Vaiyen you use the past tense a lot in your review o. Metallica. However, If you look at the words following the "Were" and "was"'s, you'll notice that most of them still are "are".

Bottom_End - you make some valid points, but I would just have to repeat my point - no offence to Mustaine, or any other bands, but he, along with more bands that have ever existed are very afraid of change, especially after observing Metallica. Metallica, on the other hand, try different things, experiment, and really record what they want.

I'm rambling a little...

vernplum said:
Vaiyen said:
vernplum said:

Ah - you would have loved the line-up at Clash Of The Titans (88/89 I believe) at Wembley Arena - Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies... oh yes...

What a lineup...I wished I was already into metal in the 80s man......then I would have been there!

lars_ulrich said:
well im sure if metallica continued to put out heavy, fast, agressive records then pple wud be saying "the same old metallica". look at slayer, they have pretty much the same fast, agressive theme for all their albums. dave lombardo even left them to pursue other genres of drumming. it got pretty boring after a while. in an interview lars ulrich once said that things got too boring for them and they wanted to just xxxx things up and do different stuff, instead of being labelled "metal" all the time. and thus, they did the orchestra thing. sure it was a prety dumb thing but which other metal band wud even dare to do such a thing?

There's nothing wrong if they had remained the "same old Metallica"! Do you think anyone is begrudging Slayer and Iron Maiden for sticking to their signature sound? No!

I personally feel that Metallica have either lost the ability to write kickass metal songs, or they are writing mainstream rock songs because they feel they can make more money that way. The 'bored of metal' excuses are just that, excuses, IMO.

FYI, Deep Purple did the thing with the orchestra way back in the 70s.

hifi_killer said:
+1 to the above post
yea its called reinventing and diversity. I mean just look at megadeth. The system has failed sounds so much like peace sells, its like nothing new, its just plain old boring megadeth(no offence, i've head a few tracks off both albums)
People do grow up and mature, they're not always in the kill'em'all mood

You know how many people were glad that Megadeth sorta returned to their roots in The System Has Failed? They certainly were not complaining that it was "boring old megadeth"!

By your last line, I hope you do not mean that people with a preference for music of the early days are immature? I also hope you do not mean that liking the modern rock that Metallica has been putting out makes you 'mature'?

Latest posts

Back