My own compositions

As I said in the other thread - you've got potential.

My comments on A.N.G.E.L (as you requested):

Composition and arrangment:
1. Good attempt at trying counterpoint using different instruments with different melodies. Don't forget your basics of harmony. Some errors in chords. Actually the counterpoint is quite good. The 2 melodic lines flows well with each other.

2. Like the lower strings pizzicato and the tubular bells. The tubular bells are the right volume - not too loud, subtle enough to give the desired effect.

2. At 1:01, when the solo horn came in, I'm a little confused which is the melody line. Did the solo horn take over from the solo trumpet and violins? It sounded louder but does not have the character of a main melodic line.

3. Is it meant to be a solo horn? It sounded like one but the high note is a little out of range for a typical horn player to reach.

4. The solo piano part with tranposition is interesting. However the sudden change of key at 2:16 back to main key and melody destroys the flow.

Sequencing:

1. Trumpet player needs to breathe! Adding phrasing will help.

2. The strings is suffering from what we call a "sucking effect". This is an inherent problem of the sound. You can overcome that with using better sounds. Which sound module/ keyboard did you use? GPO should be able to do better.

In all, well done. Keep it up! For discussion on techniques of sequecing brass/ strings and woodwinds, refer to these threads:

http://soft.com.sg/new/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2550

http://soft.com.sg/new/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3145

2. At 1:01, when the solo horn came in, I'm a little confused which is the melody line. Did the solo horn take over from the solo trumpet and violins? It sounded louder but does not have the character of a main melodic line.
The horns suppose to be the main melody .. haha...

3. Is it meant to be a solo horn? It sounded like one but the high note is a little out of range for a typical horn player to reach.
Its not really a horn solo, for the range part.. I ADMIT!! i exploited the player's highest note.. haha.. it's the higest note a horn can reach ( at least in GPO ) haha...

4. The solo piano part with tranposition is interesting. However the sudden change of key at 2:16 back to main key and melody destroys the flow.
yea.. im having some difficulty here, what would u suggest?

Sequencing:

1. Trumpet player needs to breathe! Adding phrasing will help.
lol, i guess i have to read the guide on sequencing for brass.

2. The strings is suffering from what we call a "sucking effect". This is an inherent problem of the sound. You can overcome that with using better sounds. Which sound module/ keyboard did you use? GPO should be able to do better.
I used GPO, i duno what went wrong.. lol..

Thx for the comments , i'll improve on it :D..

I don't own GPO. I use GigaStudio. But you should be able to get much more realistic sounds from it. Have you tried using different articulations? Have you donwloaded the latest GPO update which has more features than the first version? See the thread I posted above for more discussions.

The sudden change of key can be dealt in a few ways. Either use the last key you modulated to for the main melody after the piano solo, or modulate with transition chords, not sudden change of key.

Looks like you've definitely got the tools. It's now just the technique of sequencing. Good job.

Another thing. GPO is supposed to make give the notes a legato effect if you step on the sustain pedal - it is programmed into Kontakt. That should remove the "sucking effect".

Huh? Sustain pedal is crucial to all keyboard players. I'm surprised you have been playing your keyboard without one! Not too expensive to get one from Swee Lee.

So you connect your disklavier to your PC via midi, right? No problem with the sustain pedal then since disklavier has it. You step on the pedal and the midi signal should be sent to your PC. Then you should be able to trigger the legato samples in your GPO.

sure we could, it would be a great experience for me, since im only 15 haha... gimme some tips :D.. my chord progressions still not very good, always stick to same old one.. getting boring.. :cry: ...

I use a software sequencer cakewalk sonar and GPO(Garritan Personal Orchestra), GPO is an orchestra library that costed me a BOMB. .haha.. but it is sure worth the $$.. since i got lotsa cash after CNY..

haha.. one of my seniors in band, he's only 16 and he's like 1000X more pro than me.. and the teachers are putting him incharge of a new studio coming up in our sch.. very knowledgable guy ..

Just wondering, how does GPO work? Composing direct from the PC?

Btw, really nice recordings you have there :smt023

their not recordings.. its all done on the computer. GPO is an orchestra library , and i can upload them through VST into my cakewalk sonar.. from there, i get the nice sound etc..

Hehe pardon me, i'm too used to the word "recordings". Nevertheless it sounds really good.

Hmm, was reading the GPO site tutorials, they mentioned about midi keyboards etc. Are those necessary?

Latest posts

Back