Multi tasking on instruments

DoubleBlade

for instance you take up guitar for a few months then later you want to take up keyboard as well...

Is it hard to multi task on instruments?

i have this mindset that multi tasking on instruments just makes u a jack of all trade because u cant possibly spend an equal amount of time on different instruments everyday if not often when u have to juggle between school work and social life right?

you can study 8 different subjects

you can study 8 different subjects at one time,
why not play 3 music instrument at one time?

Re: you can study 8 different subjects

so true, and between your 8 diff subjects always got your best and favourite rite?

It's all about commitment, your passion for music and good time management

it's not that hard to juggle up between instruments .. the trick is to make sure you practise all the instrument and dont forget putting prioritiy to your main instrument.

Furthermore learning different instruments would help you someway with your primary instrument or with other instrument as well.

For example:

Supposed you are learning Piano, Guitar, Bass and Drums all at the same time
and your primary instrument is piano

By learning bass you can gain finger strength for piano in your left hand as bass strings are quite hard to press on. Furthermore, you can create cool basslines with yer left hand while your right hand plays the melody. Similarly, When you learn piano, it's easier to learn chord structure and scales with the piano which in turn makes it easier to apply that on bass and guitar ... so you can learn to do walking bass easier.

By learning drums, it makes it easier to create rhtymic riffs for piano, guitar or even slap bass riff.

The advantage for guitar i think it's self explanatory

True that the process is kinda slow in the beginning. But, it will certainly be rewarding later

Most importantly

JUST STICK TO IT

i used to play harmonica but sucked because i didn't know music theory and the alphabets...now after learning guitar and fretboard alphabets i know what the harmonica is all about.

Mr_KeyboardMan said:
When you learn piano, it's easier to learn chord structure and scales with the piano which in turn makes it easier to apply that on bass and guitar ...

so true, since if i'm not wrong music theory is based on the piano?

yupppp quite true...it would be much easier to learn theory with the aid of a keyboard in front of u...

btw is piano and guitar a good combo? for instance my primary instrument is piano....

Up to you ... different combination ... your style of playing would be affected ..

For example when you learn guitar improvisation ... It's easier for you to learn improvisation on the piano ... since the mindset is there. It affect your mindset or approach towards improvisation ... for example: guitarist prefers to take scaling approach(Using scales or modes) where as pianist prefers chordal approach(based on chords then run using scale). By learning guitar solos ... it is easier for you to learn how to use pitch bender to do different kind bend, or simulate different kind of vibrato on the keyboard. Take example, Jordan Ruddess solos ...

I honestly think it's a lot easier to relate between the two, piano and guitar. White and black keys, same thing on the guitar fingerboard, just slightly more confusing only. Plus if you're do fingerpicking, you could incooperate bass lines with lead playing, and that should be easier since you guys do learn compositions while doing Piano.

If you want be good in both instruments, make sure you don't take up a second instrument too early. If you're just starting off your primary instrument, make sure you get your foundation right first. There's no hurry. Unless you want to be, what you mentioned, Jack of all trades but master at none.

My piano teacher was very insistent that I did not take up any stringed instruments because of the different finger technique involved. When I didn't play well (especially when technique starts to show lack of practice), she would start to ask me if I secretly take up any stringed instruments. I was glad that my second instrument was the trumpet, not the guitar. Actually, once you get better in your piano (theory included), you will find taking up a second instrument much easier. Even now when I play the guitar, my mind thinks keyboard. So it didn't take me much time to later take up the bass - same concept applying same theory.

I had a friend who first mastered his violin - diploma. Then took second instrument (Flute - Grade 8 ). He is now professor in Saxophone in the US. So, in theory, taking up a second or third instrument is no problem. But make sure you get your primary instrument sorted out properly first.

Latest posts

Back