moving bass?

Santa

hi guys! need soem help!

i usually play bass instead of guitar for worship... and i have seen all those ppl do moving bass lines...

so anyone know how to start me off learning moving bass in between chord changes?

moving basslines?? this is the first time i heard this term lol

enlighten me too! :D

i think what he means are basslines that actually have some melody to it? instead of just playing to different rhythms using the same note? (dun get me wrong, sometimes these are just perfect for some songs).

i think u shld start off by playing what the bass player does,especially for hillsong (if u listen to them) since ur christian. the bass players from there usually have a simple bassline that does not require too much but still has a melody.

eg. Key of C - Am (insert G bass note here) F

most imptly learn your theory. its brought me somewhere at least. learn scales, inversions, arpeggios(they are the bassists' best friend). i cannot emphasize more on the importance of theory.

go learn from online webbies eg harmony central or others. they have a very wide range of lessons.

only through all these you will understand how a walking/running/(jumping?!) bass line is formed. then u can go create your own. C=

all the best! ;)

yeah i was kinda thinking on the lines of triads/arpeggios.

does anyone know a site??

not exactly passing notes, kreed hit it right on the center...

just want to be able to do both, and then use either in moderation so everyone doesnt get bored :D thanks all!

first u gotta know your scales.

as for walking bass, try learning some jazz. it'll help you alot!

However if you are refering to church music, it's usually passing notes. Or, in scores, "compound" chords like G/B and Am/C
They will sound like walking basslines because it is commonly used in this progression:

G D/F# Em

see the bass walking downward while the chords are changing? cool eh?

hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back