List me som cabs for a head

part_time_idiot

I think i m about to score a marshall head in a second hand sale..

But i just made a mistake... i forgot to estimate the cost of a cab... :(

mannnn.... i am such an idiot... sigh... :oops:

Now i m just wondering how much roughly is the price of a cab that may support a 50w marshall all tube head...

I dunnit something tht is too strong since i need it for room practice.. maybe a 2 x 10 would do.. a half stack...

can u guys tell me a cab which is more affordable?? and give me the price as well.. then i ll try to locate one of them..

plz tell me if i left out any info

You would be better off buying existing cabinets on the market. making a cabinet from scratch is extremely expensive. and you can almost guarantee no tolexing (google this term if you don't know what it is.)

You need to know and match the impedances of the speakers. Mismatching them could have disastrous consequences.

also, the wattage. i think you have to get speakers which are rated more than 50w.

Regardless of speaker size, I suspect your amp will still be too loud. it's a 50w fulltube after all. no prizes for guessing why the amp was on the 2nd hand classads for quite a while...

amp experts, correct me if i'm wrong. i'm pretty new to tube amps too, just read a lot.

actually i wasnt planning to build a new cab on my own... and the head was recently in the ad..

erm... but i would still need a cab since i have already got involved.. unless someone bids higher than me... then i would be able to slip off this one...

the head was cheap thts why i was attracted.. and later i just remembered of other problems like the price of a cab, the wattage etc...

nevertheless i think i can still play at low level or maybe get a attenuator..

plz enligthen me tube amp experts...

Hey U part time idiot :D :D maybe u can tell us yr amp model?Depending on the cab brand,it can go abt below$400-500 For 2x12/10....
U can chck with sweelee or ranking sports..I saw one at guitar connection.Marshall 2x10 vintage.Not too sure.Shld be 2x10.

i have a Marshall 2x12 cab at home with my rack setup. I dont think the proper term to use is "too loud", cause that occurs with 90% of the amps on the market these days. So long as you can get a good tone at a low volume, i think that should suffice. A cranked amp does not necessarily sound better than one played at low volumes. If you are gonna play at home, just get an amp with the basic tone you like, and worry about volume later. Better to have more power on tap, than to be lacking!

I paid 625 for my cab 1 year ago, but i think prices have gone up, so you might wanna call Davis to check. :)

Vox has a 2x12 cab with wharfdale speakers going for ard 400ish. Check out city music. i dun remember the impedance or the power rating of the speakers though.

gargamelesp said:
i have a Marshall 2x12 cab at home with my rack setup. I dont think the proper term to use is "too loud", cause that occurs with 90% of the amps on the market these days. So long as you can get a good tone at a low volume, i think that should suffice. A cranked amp does not necessarily sound better than one played at low volumes. If you are gonna play at home, just get an amp with the basic tone you like, and worry about volume later. Better to have more power on tap, than to be lacking!

it depends. in general, a cranked amp sounds better, particularly true for the more classic Marshall amps.

remember a decently efficient 50w fulltube tends to be equivalent to a 100W solidstate.

the point is, with 90% of the production amps in the market, you will never be able to crank them at home.

so personally, i would not let wattage bother me at all in deciding which amp to choose. i wont choose a 50w marshall over a 120watt peavey if i like the peaveys tone better, because you will never be able to crank BOTH amps anyway?

you could get 5w/15w amps. or look for the 10%. or get low wattage solidstates, which tend not to sound vastly different at differing volumes, so as long as u turn it reasonably loud without cranking, it sounds good enough.

of course, if you're happy with a bit of compromise on sound for a particular amp model tone, by all means.

then again, there are a limited number of low wattage amps with good tonal characteristics, as compared to those 50w and above. Again, note that this is in comparisson, and there are still good tonal low wattage amps around which might have the tone you are looking for. But i realise that low wattage amps again tend to come with smaller speakers and lack in drive.

We could then go through the route of using effects processors, but i guess we are missing the whole point here. I say, dont let volume be a major concern in getting the amp you want, rather, go for the tone! I.e. if YOU prefer the tone of a 120w amp at this volume, do not get a 15w amp just because it can be cranked.

This argument will go into infinite regression, so i guess the only solution is to get what you like to hear!

what argument? :p

actually there were a lot of low wattage, good amps around. but everyone wanted big stacks with big cabs (blame MTV) and companies cut corners on 5/15/30W amps. Most companies have also decided to sell big heavy wattage amps simply because consumers prefer them. (psychologically mnost people think big amps = big sound)

there are a number of good under 30W fulltubes, but at incredible boutique prices (no surprises) and most of them are not available in Singapore, which is a shame. Even the big companies, Fender, Marshall - they had low wattage amps with awesome sounds.

Speakers are a crucial element in amps, of course. I agree that most low wattage amps come with smaller/less quality speakers, which really deters many from investing in a low wattage amp when a high wattage amp costs cheaper.

of course, your last sentence makes the most sense to individuals; i have never seen anyone's else's house/location to judge that an amp is too loud. to each his own yea? :)

actually i was trying to bid for a 50watt JCM 800 head.. currently going for sin$200++

but i kinda regreted... coz it only has one channel.. and thus needs alot of supporting stuff..

Now i ve been outbid by 10bucks... so question.. do u think this amp is worth it?

There is a JTM 30 cost sin$300++ .. a 30watt all tube combo... wat do u guys think??? hold on.. this is the description

Marshall JTM-30 valvestate 30-Watt tube amp. As a tube amp, it

requires proper care and maintenance. One transformer has been rewound

after it blew some years ago. RM700/- I've seen it going for almost 3 times the price on e-bay, but since one transformer has been reconditioned I think anyone buying it should get the amp checked/serviced by a proper tech and maybe replace some tubes.

If i m buying this.. i will be selling off my vox ad30vt

ok, fine, just buy. don't ask why. :lol:

no, seriously, if the amps work, i would buy both. but finding out if amps work is another thing. remember there're not many amp techs in sg. :p

Uh by the way, if it's ebay.com.my, caveat emptor. (buyer beware). Ebay malaysia was famous for fraud, not sure if that's the case now.

and the main thing - u can't test the amp. ouch.

NEwS update.. i was updated through local forum that the ebay is a fraud... someone misuse his id ...

So i guess no more JCM 800 for me... now only JTM

The JTM is available for test but i dunno.. i have a mixed feeling about it... :?

I wanted a tube amp... yet... i dunno if i m able to ultilise it.. dun wanna put a good thing to waste...

u could buy an attenuator to try and compensate.

hee, if you really decide not to, can recommend me? a 30w seems ok coupled with an attenuator. been looking for a tube amp too.

Tone comes first, then if need to be...like what thor suggested; something like a THD Hotplate would help alot

Latest posts

Back