j&d telecaster, yamaha pac311

does anyone here own one of these?

i don't intend to buy a new guitar in the near future actually, but if i do it'll probably be a tele and i'm just interested to know how these copies fare against squiers or jap/mex fenders etc...

is it possible to always be subjective when selecting a guitar? i mean, some guitars must be obviously, absolutely, categorically better sounding than others right? assuming there are no defects with the guitars or anything...

I can't comment on the J&D teles, cos i never tried 'em, but i noe they're pretty darn cheap, something like 215?

As for subjectivity in choosing guitars, there is really no hard and fast rule to decide what sounds good. Everyone has different taste in music (and therefore diff taste in guitar tone), and of course, not everyone's ears perceive sounds the same way.

Basically, one man's meat is another man's poison.

For that matter, why have u already decided to buy a tele when you're not sure how to decide what sounds good?

drawing form a personal note, i feel that the amp is more critical when it comes to tone, rather than believing there's a particular guitar out there that'll 'out-guitar' everything else... 8)

well, like i said i haven't actually decided, everything is still tentative. i haven't even tried one of those myself so of course it wouldn't be wise for me to buy on impulse.

but i've heard the distinctive tele twang and i liked that, and i feel that maybe it would be better if i got a guitar with single coils since i've got a humbucker guitar already. correct me if i'm wrong but teles have thinner necks right? i've played les paul copies and i didn't like the necks. furthermore, several of the bands i like use teles. also teles aren't too heavy right?

yea in truth i cannot say with conviction that i know what great tone sounds like. i've never played fenders or gibsons or whatever. i think my guitar sounds good (fatter sound...clearer notes blahblah) when i compare it to some of the other guitars i hear frequently, cheap squiers and low-end ibanezes etc etc.... but who knows...maybe one day i'll get my hands on some high-end guitar and realise that it wasn't as good as i imagined.

maybe ill phrase my earlier question differently, can an american deluxe strat possibly sound worse than a j&d strat, for example. i mean...well you must be paying the extra 1000 dollars for something right? and it can't just be for the brandname, although that's probably a big reason.

I won't comment about the sound but the playability will definately be better with a more expensive and branded guitar than a cheap budget guitar. Of course people always say if you are good it does not matter what guitar you play, but if it's going to be a guitar you will be playing for some time, it should at least be comfortable to play, right? Unless you just want to buy to try, buy for the sake of owning a guitar, are on a seriously tight budget, or have a great tolerance for sh*tty gear, then you could get something cheaper.

If I ever want to buy a tele I would prefer to get one of a Fender make. It's the original, and it would be a pleasure own. Playability wise I'm not sure since I've never played one before, but I've heard. My suggestion is to try out all the guitars you are considering, note down the pros and cons, and decide from there. This way you won't go wrong, you will get the guitar that suits yourself the best.

kantiancosmonaut said:
maybe ill phrase my earlier question differently, can an american deluxe strat possibly sound worse than a j&d strat, for example. i mean...well you must be paying the extra 1000 dollars for something right? and it can't just be for the brandname, although that's probably a big reason.

1000 bucks for guaranteed workmanship and consistent (good) quality. I was never bothered about the tone of cheap guitars (I only use them at jam studios, 2 hours max) but the MOST annoying thing about them is their pickup switch location for strat copies (with no pickguard). I won't comment much about the action and stuff because the jam studio I used to go to doesn't maintain their gear, but design wise, the pickup switch position is a BIG turn off. It's below the volume knob, and I will always hit the volume instead of the switch. Not sure about teles tho.

The Yammy Pac311 is a solid guitar. I'd choose that over the J&D. I think the 311 comes with Yamaha designed SD Hot Rails type of pickup for the bridge.

the distinctive tele twang/ honk comes from its idiosyncratic features, namely:

*the metal plate-housing which surrounds the bridge pickup
*the 3-saddle bridge assembly

some propose that the solid, cavity-less back plays a part too, the reason why fixed bridge, non-whammy strats have a certain tele resonance...

on a personal note, the Highway1 Fender teles give you the above combo for a sure tele twang but liking it is an entirely different issue. my proposal to you is to keep a lookout for the above features in other non-Fender tele type guitars to hear if they measure up to the industry's standard, tone-wise.

man_kidal said:
Where sell J and D siah? Ranking is TM or something rite... those oso strats ... J and D.... where ah?

J&D is regarded by most people as one of the better china made brands ... they do basses , guitar copies and acoustic / classical ... if i m not mistaken ... J&D telecaster can be found at e shop beside mastero / diagonally opposite G77 / opposite luther and diagonally right downwards of guitar connnection at excelsior basement

according to tele purists, yes it does. the best twang comes from the 3-saddle brass unit. fender has the Highway1 Texas Tele which tele fans elsewhere go nuts over because it's very affordable & it's twang galore (the ash body has got the tele mojo to it, in addition to the brass saddles). sadly, i've been waiting for it & there's no news of its domestic debut here... *sigh*

FenderHiWayTexTele.jpg

I just tested out 3 telecasters yesterday; a Muddy Waters MIM , 72 Custom RI and a 50s reissue. You know what? They were all different animals.

But had the old fashioned saddles, the Muddy and 50s RI were definitely brass . Cant remember for the 72 RI though. I think it was brass :?:

I'm emphasising on the bridge pickup only here. For reviews on construction etc read HC.

The 50s(maple fretboard) has the best and most obvious classic twang sound, perfect for country. Its softer, more subtle and delightful for finger plucking since its quite balanced. Sweet stuff. 50s sound i'm thinking.

THe 72 RI (maple fretboard) has a fatter, full sounding tone plus twang. To my ears, it was reminiscent of a Strat and Gibby since it had that clear, mellow but fat definition when the tone was cranked up. Versatile.

THe MW (rosewood fretboard)is interesting. With Alnico V magnets its got a great bluesy tone with the added twang. Versatile

So they all had a nice twang and mellowness, but selecting one was difficult since the twang truly varied among them to my ears.

Fender_FSR_72_Tele_Thinline.JPG

if you are refering to the '72 Tele above ('72 Tele Thinline to be precise- i had a go at it before), it's unique sounding but it doesn't represent a true tele tone. much of the features are depatures from the original tele tone but it's still very much fender sounding. the ash body has a very warm tone, chances are you'd like what you hear...

013-7500-306.jpg

Actually it was this one albeit with a maple fretboard.

But I was wondering if I were to start with a Tele which one's good? I think the 3 ones I tried were interesting. That said, I'm still confused. I like 'em all but cant afford to own 'em all.

subversion said:
according to tele purists, yes it does. the best twang comes from the 3-saddle brass unit.

Agree on that.

I swap the 6 saddle fixed-strat bridge on one of my tele's to a 3 saddle brass unit and immediately heard a big difference.

The notes are more distinct, they ring lounder and perhaps slightly longer (its hard to say how much longer as the improved sustain could just be a function of the notes ringing clearer and more distinct) and you could even hear more of than tele "twang"; i.e. the ringing sound. :D

Only issue was setting the angle on the 3 way saddles (for intonation) was a bit of a pain.

yeah, the intonation is always a compromise when it comes to the 3-saddle bridge- the reason why Fender offers models sporting the 6-saddle unit.

there's no one tele to out-tele another, especially when the specs on offer differ. try as many as you can ( mex/ jap/ US...) & choose accordingly. my money's still on the Highway1 Texas tele... the regular Highway1 Tele is also a very good guitar to start with...

Does the Highway Tele come with a nitro cellulose coated neck?

How long has Fender been using poly finishes on the necks?

calibre2001 said:
Does the Highway Tele come with a nitro cellulose coated neck?

How long has Fender been using poly finishes on the necks?

No, they don't use nitro cellulose.

Perhaps a Fender fan can answer the second part.

subversion said:
yeah, the intonation is always a compromise when it comes to the 3-saddle bridge- the reason why Fender offers models sporting the 6-saddle unit.

Here's an article to help solve intonation issues with the traditional 3 barrell saddle.

Saddle Up Your Telecaster® - By Jerry Donahue

We asked "Bendmaster of the Telecaster" Jerry Donahue to share some of his secrets for setting up a Telecaster® bridge and keeping it properly intonated (Jerry demonstrates this technique in his clinics).

Attention all current and would-be Tele® slingers! You needn't resort to six individual bridge saddles to improve your intonation. The original Broadcaster design called for three brass saddles: and that's still the best design today. The larger saddles mean more mass, providing greater output, sustain and tone. Also, with two strings per saddle, you have twice the string pressure against the body! [Editor's note: The Fender® Custom Shop Jerry Donahue model and "JD" Tele® use the three vintage brass saddles].

Now, on to intonation: Until fairly recently, I felt that a guitar couldn't really play in tune unless each string's 12th fret harmonic and 12th fret note had the exact same reading on the electric tuner. And of course, they never do on a three-saddle bridge. I finally settled on a technique that not only deals with this problem but, to my delight, addresses other inherent problems also. Here it is: Adjust the middle saddle's intonation screw so that the "D" string's 12th fret note reads slightly flat of the 12th fret harmonic on your tuner. Then, check out the "G" string's 12th fretted note. This note should be only MARGINALLY sharp of the harmonic. Are you with me? Now tune your guitar, with the open "G" string reading somewhere between A440 and A439 (so that the 12th FRETTED note is at A440). Tune the other strings as one would normally. Final adjusments can be made by ear when you compare first position E major and E minor chords. The E major's G# note (third string, 1st fret) should no longer seem sharp in the chord; and the open "G" string should still be perceptively in tune within the E minor chord.

Here's another for instance: An "A" chord barred at the fifth fret sounds fine. But when the nearest "E" is played (5th string, 7th fret/ 4th string, 6th fret/ 3rd string, 4th fret/ 2nd string, 5th fret), it typically sounds "off." The major third is the culprit (4th string, 6th fret): it typically sounds sharp. But with my adjus™ent (the 4th string's 12th fretted note being slightly flat) the
problem no longer exists. There is a small margin of error here, which actually works to the guitarist's advantage!

OCCASIONALLY, depending on the guage of your strings and the force of your picking hand, it might also serve you to marginally flatten the low E string. I do this as I use a 42 and like to hit it fairly hard sometimes. Trust your own ears, though, as each instrument tends to be different, too.

A final qualification in adopting all the aforementioned technique: A piano tuner may use an electronic tuner as a point of reference. But if he tuned the entire keyboard to be "perfect", it would sound awful. The bottom keys actually must be tuned sharp and the high ones tuned flat. This is the only way the human brain will perceive the piano to be in tune. It's essentially the same concept I've applied here to the Telecaster®. I really like this method. Once I adopted it, my Tele's® sounded noticeably more in tune than my Strats® (across all of the chord shapes) ... so I've since made the same adjus™ents to the Strats®!!

Remember, life is about compromise. Check it out!" - Jerry Donahue

Latest posts

Back