Intro to Locking Trems

ShredCow

Hey guys,
Here's a brief intro to the world of locking tremolos, or floyd rose style tremolos.

DEFINATION
A locking trem refers to a tremolo system that yes, locks the strings at both sides (bridge and nut) of the guitar. (Note, some locking trems are not locked at the nut, these are referred to as single locking trems and are not as extreme or stable as the locking version)

Also, a locking trem is usually a floating trem system, as in the tremolo is held in position via a series of springs, counter weight by the strings, while pivoting on 2 steel poles (or whichever method, ball bearings, what not). Hence, its floating. This is also known as the floyd rose style tremolo, named after the inventor, Floyd Rose.

A FR styled trem can pull up (raise pitch) or dive (lower pitch) radically. We are talking about a couple of tones up (usually 3 full tones if trem is recessed) and diving till the strings groan, flopping around.

A locking trem will have to have quite a bit of routing done to accommondate it and even more routing to all it full range of movement. Some locking trem cavities are routed to allow for dive only (or pull up only) function, as in the case of the Peavy Wolfgang. In order to get maximum pull up range, a locking trem must be recessed into the guitar body. An obvious example would be the Ibanez JEM and the lion's claw recess.

FUNCTIONALITY
As stated above, a locking trem is an extreme version of a vintage (e.g. Fender style) tremolo. There are many many techniques associated with the locking trem and its known as whammy techniques. There is a thread abt whammy tricks under Guitar - How To.

STABILITY
The main thing we must be concerned with is, how stable is it. For those who have have never seen Steve Vai abuse it. Here is a video that demonstrates how much abuse a floating trem can take.

http://www.youtube.com/?v=odCUuYdDzNs

Its some jap guitarist doing a LOT of dive bombs with his guitar, which I think its a Fender Showmaster with an Original Floyd Rose.

Note that after so much wanking on the trem, he still plays in tune?

Thats is how stable the locking trem system is... IF

1) Its a good quality trem
2) Its setup properly
3) The strings are properly stretched

CHOOSING A GOOD LOCKING TREM
Well, what do you look out for when choosing a locking trem? Well, here is a list of things to consider.

1) QC
Look at the trem. For those who have been playing for some time, you know bad quality stuff by looking at it. A poorly made trem often has parts that don't fit together well, looks squashed and cramp and the finish is not well put on.

2) Materials used
This is a bit hard for initiates to figure out but bascially, cast steel and harden steel is what you want. If the metals used are soft, don't expect stability.

3) Feel
The trem should move smoothly. It should not feel jerky. Note that spring/string tension will increase the stiffness of a trem.

Here is a list of mainstream good quality locking trems, not in order of quality.

• Original Floyd Rose (QC seems to be getting poor though)
    Floyd Rose II (similiar to Schaller FR)
    Floyd Rose Pro
    Floyd Rose Speedloader (nice idea, but getting the special speedloader strings will be a pain/costly)

Ibanez Edge Pro (Kind of fragile feeling to me, no locking posts)
    Edge Pro II
    Edge III (sucessor to the dread TRS line, much better)
    Edge (The stuff of legends, superb trem, nice price of $350 brand new)
    Lo Pro Edge (The stuff of legends, superb trem, nice price of $375 brand new)
    Zero Resistance Tremolo (ball bearing pivot, integrated Tremsetter system)

Gotoh Licensed Floyd Rose (I'm using it, heavily recommended in terms of price (around 250SGD w/shipping) and QC)

Schaller Licensed Floyd Rose (expensive @ $375, has a lo pro version)

There are other locking trems available such as the Steinberger S trem, Vigier trems and so on, but the above trems are the more common ones and are readiliy available for purchase (except Ibanez trems, not that easy).

Also, note a particular Locking trem, the Kahler. This trem is used by Slayer's Kerry King and its not easily found otherwise. Recently, production of Kahlers have started again after being stopped for quite a while. I am not familiar with this trem other than what I read so I will not comment too much on it, other than its apparently very stable if well maintained and lubricated, its not quite as extreme as a Floyd Rose style trem but its able to do big dive bombs ala Kerry King.

And here's a list of bad trems.

Ibanez TRS (this is more of a matter of QC apparently, some are above average and some are crap)
Ibanez Lo TRS / Lo TRS II(every one of these trems are rubbish when compared to the Edge)

Any locking trem system that goes for $50 (Seriously, they exist in Singapore. The QC is so bad you have problems turning the fine tuners.)

WHY A LOCKING TREM?
Because you want to extend the plethora of tones/sounds of the guitar. A trem can do more than a fixed bridge. A locking trem can take what a normal trem does and more!

Hope this helps answer any queries you have on locking trems. I did this while at work so when I get home, I will refine it with pics and stuff.

ShredCow said:
We are talking about a couple of tones up (usually 3 full tones) and diving till the strings groan, flopping around.

...assuming that there is sufficient wood routed from behind - not all of them are (and also assuming you don't want the trem raised high off the body by removing springs at the back and keeping a low action) - a question of good setup I s'pose. :)

Hey Jumbo, those are very VERY interesting trems, esp the trs-505. The design looks very different... I'm intrigued! The trs-505 looks like it allows for stringing with the ball end at trem?

Then the parts page... the locking nut is different too! The string retainer looks attached to the nut... and I think I see some sort of backstop/tremsetter there too!

Anyway you can get more info about these trems, jumbo?

Madwerewolfboy, I must apologize if I stated it wrongly... I was referring to the Ibanez TRS trems not all TRS trems.

Vern, you're right... some guitars do not have the Floyd Rose recessed into the body, like some Fender guitars. Hence you can't pull up to the full capability of the trem because the body is in the way.

You can get more info on the TRS-101 and TRS-505 trems here:
http://www.ibanez.com/support/manuals/guitars_w-locking.pdf

Yeah, TRS-505 allows for stringing with the ball end at trem... Cool!

Wdmusic.com only sells TRS-101 and TRS-PRO... Quoted from wdmusic
"This Bridge Is Made By One Of The Premier OEM Hardware Suppliers In The World"

Oh yes. I asked my father what it says on that page I posted. It says that SCUD can compete with the likes of Gotoh and the others... I am not sure about this, that's why I asked for your opinion on the matter. :)

OH. Okay. These are the trems that Ibanez used? If they are, then they are pretty bad.

Did a little research on the TRS505... also known as single locking (since it doesn't lock at the bridge side and this compromises on stability) and it was on the RG270.

Again, if those trems are the same as the Ibanez ones, they are bad.

How much do they cost?

OH! hahaha! :) Oh yeah... kahlers... they are back in production.

However, I really know very little about them other than articles and stuff I read online. Apparently, they are great when properly maintained and lubricated... not quite as extreme as a Floyd Rose style trem but it can hold tuning well. Thats what I read lah...

Thats why....

COME ON PEOPLE!!! CONTRIBUTE YOUR EXPERIENCES TO THIS THREAD!!!

ShredCow said:
OH. Okay. These are the trems that Ibanez used? If they are, then they are pretty bad.

Did a little research on the TRS505... also known as single locking (since it doesn't lock at the bridge side and this compromises on stability) and it was on the RG270.

Again, if those trems are the same as the Ibanez ones, they are bad.

How much do they cost?

I think so... Well, the prices are listed at http://www.apollonmusic.com/parts/SCUD-parts/tremolo-bridges.html and there is a 20% discount for SCUD purchases above JPY5000...

(Edit: The prices in red divide by 1.05, since the 5% Jap tax is not included)

The TRS505 seems cool at first, but yeah, stability is definitely compromised, especially during divebombs. Not good... I wonder why they haven't remedy this problem.

This goes to show Gotoh and Ibanez's superiority! :D

Yeah jumbo... the TRS505 is a BIG compromise on stability. Basically anything that moves out of place on a locking trem is a compromise to stability. At least the Ibanez Edge Pro allows you to lock a string while keeping the ball end on at the trem.

Was hoping you'd convert the currency for me. ;) Lazy and at work. 8)

Latest posts

Back