Intro: coolken (Saxophone beginner)

i have a crush on a girl who plays the saxaphone. too bad i got posted to clarinet in my band >.< if not i would have been in saxaphone haha

Good day to all,

I happened to bump by this extremely nice music forum.

I always been a fan of Kenny G since primary school and I was thinking someday I would realize my dreams to learn how to play the saxophone. To be precise, was thinking to play "Forever in Love" on my wedding day.

Can anyone advise me which Soprano Saxophone is the more appropriate for that particular song while taking into consideration of the price. Not a rich chap. :p

Besides that, anyone have any idea how much will the lessons to learn cost?

Thanks in advance

Halo everyone,

I'm new to this forum too. After a long 9 nine years break, used to play tenor sax b4, decided to pick up soprano saxophone to find back the old feeling.

In a dilemma on which brand to choose too. Selmer, yahama, yanagisawa, or antigua, or any other taiwan made sax......

Haiz

Hi! I am planning to take grade 5 sax real soon. abit worried la:D scared it is hard. i asked people who take this exam before. some say it is hard. some say easy. i checked out the stuff you have to do for the exam on the abrsm webbie and it seems quite straight forward la. but then got the stress of someone staring at you in the exam room taking note of every mistake you make. like stage fright like that la. so, anyone can share their experience taking the exam?

Chia, go try out each of the brands to see what suits you most. If you like it, buy it.

How to try out each of the brands, my dear friend? What i meant is that after so long, already lost touch, dun even whether got sound after the blow job.

LOL, i meant blowing through the sax. Many ppl is hard to resist the feeling of something new. If it's new, looks good, buy.

I went to Dennis music shop, saw the matt finish soprano sax, kinda of like it, which i believe it's a chateau brand bah. I went to yahama too, got 1 alto saxophone cost about 1400, but dislike that design. Headed down to "The band world", mission failed, shop closed on christmas. LOL.

After hearing so much video on saxophone presentation. Can't really the difference sound produce from the horn.

Furthermore, not much good commend on selmer paris saxophone. But came across a "Antigua Winds" brand, which has quite a number of commends for it. Or maybe you could tell where to try out on this brand. Thanks in advance.

LOL, I dun have a saxophonist friend, all of my firends were busy and sink deep into their working environment. As for purchasing online, I dun much experience on that, and economic crisis now, dun know what may happen!

Ya, not the looks that makes the saxophone stand out, but it's the feel that really counts. And the mechanism can last long, for maybe about 5 years or more, with a little bit tender loving care. Luckily, I didn't do the purchase on the saxophone at dennis's on impulse. But that saxophone still remains 1 of my choice.

Here are some brands that are available here :
Accent music - Keilwerth, P.Mauriat
Band World - Selmer, Keilwerth
Yamaha - Yamaha (obviously)
Dennis - Chateau, B&S
Swee Lee - Selmer, Buffet

To add into your list, Accent music do have yamaha saxophone, which they quote me YSS475 II model before.

Daryl, thanks for your info and advice.

Include the 475 in your list too. Its a fantastic horn with a nice price tag. I cant tell you how good chateau's are but they are taiwanese horns. Taiwanese horns are up and coming. I've got a taiwanese made tenor (different brand) coming my way mid jan 2009, so yeah, if you like the chateau, go for it. Since you "can't" try different horns, just decide on something decent enough to play with.

5 years? Just look at vintage saxes, they're still in playable condition as long as you maintain and replace worn parts. You're not going to abuse it aren't you? Haha

No loh, I'm going to love it.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking for a sax too after a 4 years break from school band (ac all the way), when i stumbled upon this forum of friendly ppl.

I too have a tight budget(about 1.5k or even less) but am looking for a professional series saxophone. I know the pro series of the big 4 (selmer,yamaha,julius keilwerth,yani) but was wondering if the chateu or any taiwanese brands have professional series too...and how much?

I've an eye for a 2nd hand YAS-62 (which has excellent reviews) though my dream saxes would be Selmer ref54 or the gorgeous Yas-875ex black nickel.

So yea...looking for a cheap pro alto.

Last edited:
Juju88, what's to look at for a 2nd hand honk?

Hope that buying a new horn won't squeeze everything out of my bonus, LOL.

I just wondering if any other brands which produce matt finish sax, yamaha and yani only produce those glossy and shiny finish. Selmer sax is way too expensive. Wondering how will YSS475 II/ YSS 675 it looks like with matt finish or silver finish.:p

Thanks for your offer, pal. I would like to see the P.Mauriat models first before deciding on anything else. I believed it would be on the price tag of 3k below, that's a lot, man. Accent quote me a PMSS-2400DK model before with a price tag below 2.5k, which is curved soprano.

Hey guys just to let you know I got my horn recently from dennis music shop at burlington square. It was a Supreme pro horn model with antique finish and it looks gorgeous and sounds dark and mellow. Cost me 1.5k but i liked it.

what sets dennis apart from the other shops is that he lets you play test the instruments he has on stock whereas when i went to accent they basically take orders and order the horns from the manufacturer...basically when the horn comes and you play and don't like it, too bad u already ordered it. (I'd rather shop online)

Swee lee's ok and i think that their buffet crampon sounds really good and the sales girl quoted me a discounted price of 1.7k from the original 2.1k so you know how much they jack up their prices. Just don't get their selmer SA80 series III which is like 10K! alto sax (God my friend bought his there at 4.5k 6 years ago..talk about megainflation)

Still I got my sax from dennis since he's nice enough to warmly allow me to blow test the horn on 2 occassions without buying yet..partyly due to the gorgeous finish of the horn too i guess..also he makes his own ligature, so this guy really knows his stuff.

Denny's shop

Hey guys just to let you know I got my horn recently from dennis music shop at burlington square. It was a Supreme pro horn model with antique finish and it looks gorgeous and sounds dark and mellow. Cost me 1.5k but i liked it..

Well, I am a big fan of Denny's. He always have nice saxes in his store and besides that he can fix saxophones.
I recomend!!!!

Hey guys just to let you know I got my horn recently from dennis music shop at burlington square. It was a Supreme pro horn model with antique finish and it looks gorgeous and sounds dark and mellow. Cost me 1.5k but i liked it.

Congrates on your new horn

Hi, I'm new here.
After reading all the discussions, I have no idea which to buy.
My budget is around 1k+, max. 1.5k or abit more.
I believe with such budget, I can't really find a good saxophone for a beginnner, am I right? Is chateau and supreme good? What about P.Mauriat?
Any brand/ models to recommend?

Back