ibanez strictly metal? (S series)

ShredCow said:
With those modifications, Thor was stumped with the array of tones available.

that's what you get, when considering only his overdrive/distortion effects + his guitar switches, there's just about 900 variations of sounds to go through. 8O

I never actually counted how many sounds I have with just the guitar...

Lets see...

2 mini toggles (coil tap, phase)
5 position varitone
3-way pup selector

40 different sounds! :twisted:

back from the sale, managed to play around with the s520ex. really comfortable body and neck, liked the thin edges yet thick center portion for a better tone. but the "extreme metal" tag to it was kinda cheesy so yea haha.

I don't see how it is extreme metal. :)

If you crack the finish it might make it... :lol:

Do look at it over what the tag says abt it... it can do so much more. ;)

I also own a S540. I like it alot man... OK here is how i got it

I bought it for like $600, where the paint job having a crack (peeling off actually). N also the neck has a crack behind the headstock. I may be stupid for buying it, but hey i dont regret it a single bit. Im just waiting for someone to let go his Saber neck on ebay, have seen a few but had other wishlist more impt. Somehow i heard of the Saber necks cracking too easily, but i think fitting a rg neck there also cant rite?

Anyway, the seller was nice to let me take it home first to try out, cuz of the condition of the guitar. It came with air norton n tonezone pups, but have since changed them to bill lawrence. Wanted to put a duncan JB, cuz they sound great on mahogany.

Well, this guitar made me sell my epi lp which i fitted with duncan 59 n jb. why? Cuz ...

1. Its so much lighter
2. Better cutaway
3. stays nicely on my shoulders, the epi lp always slips down
4. Better sustain (No kidding), n almost equal tone, can do what the lp does, n more
5. Its much more versatile
6. its damn light
7. once u start playing it, u just wanna continue... I believe S series owners know what im saying here.

As for it being metal... I always tot that RG was more metal... N hey if u ask me, i think i can play many style with this guitar. Except that i cant have the luxury of drop tuning!!! N as mentioned, there was a following of this guitar that play fusion style of music... yeah

okok, i better wrap up... Yeah, i had to get used to the neck man, else, its a joy really. Not sure if theres any dif to S540 n 540S?

I wld like to post a pic, but not too sure how tho... mine is HSH

Weiht said:
Somehow i heard of the Saber necks cracking too easily, but i think fitting a rg neck there also cant rite?

The Super Wizard necks are thin but they aren't that fragile, of course, don't compare to a LP's lah. ;)

Also, you can't fit the RG's neck onto the S esp if its AANJ. RG neck is 24 frets... if its the old fender block style, it can be down pretty easily but you gotta shave the neck pup back. With AANJ necks, its not worth the work.

I saw 22 fret Wizards on the bay before. :)

S470
231065.jpg

S520EX
231054.jpg

aside from external features (inlays, hardware colour) and the single coil, is there any other significant difference between this two models?

vernplum said:
subversion said:
**expecting shredcow/ vernplum to drop by & have their say...

My S570 remains and has remained my #1 axe over the turmoil of the last 12 months in which I have acquired a small number of new guitars.

Reasons:

Lightweight and very comfortable to play
Very thin neck which is great for small hands
Almost totally flat fingerboard profile with medium/large frets - good for shredding
Hot fat output from neck and bridge humbuckers - the fullest sounding guitar I own.
Long sustain
Very stable trem.
Beautiful natural finish.

I bought this guitar at the height of my 'metal days' partly due to the guitar's looks and slimline body but it's versatile enough to be able to play almost any kind of music - I play clean for more than 50% of the time and can get a warm smooth jazzy tone from it, or a compressed, out-of-phase chicken-picking noise no problem. I don't think it would look too out of place in an alternative/emo band. If it's playability and tone you're looking for you'd be hard pressed to beat it - if you don't care too much about those then by all means get yourself a Jagstang or one of those Italian Speedster jobbies with all the knobs and switches.

I'll never sell this guitar now btw though I did consider it at one point when I first got it shipped to Singapore from the UK where it had been living - it's like a very comfortable pair of shoes. The only thing I never liked about it is the pickup selector switch which I think is just a bit too obtrusive on the surface of the body and marrs the appearance somewhat.

Here she is:

S5703.jpg

nice floorings.

Btw the S470 and 520, well.. the major diff would be the single coil. That makes a LOT of difference.

Oh, there's white binding on the S520 too. Some S470 have a quilted maple top.

Otherwise, no diff.

159538.jpg

between this, and the black s470 on the previous page, which would you buy? note that the quilted model has fretboard bindings and a thicker "s" inlay..

it's actually a S470DXQM vs S470.

the differences here are cosmetics, since the QM top on the former is a laminate + that thicker 'm' inlay have no tonal contributions, you will be paying for visual differences only.

Back