Ibanez RG350DX

subversion

Ibanez_RG350DX.jpg

Ibanez RG350DX
List: $850

WEF 2005, the RG3XX series are Ibanez`s only midrange offerings after the 2XX & 1XX models are settled into the Gio range of entry-level units. Unlike the hallowed RG5XX models, the RG3XX units are Korean, equipped with a rather meaty neck; the Wizard II- yes, it`s not that thin…

Construction/ Fit/ Finish
If you require a sub-standard Korean Ibanez guitar for verbal bashing, you need to travel back in time to acquire one. The RG350DX has a solid build & fit, no blemishes or tell-tale errant gaps in sight. However, both the volume & tone knobs on this audition model are rather stiff. That aside, this guitar is difficult to fault.

Playability/ Tone
RG aficionados would render the Wizard II neck an outright reject- how can one shred with such bulk in the way? The Wizard II is 21mm thick at the 12th fret, only 1mm thicker than the Wizard (currently Ibanez`s thinnest neck) at that same register, but it`s substantial in feel. To those of us who are critical to how a Wizard profile should be, it's best you handle this guitar personally to feel how prominent a 1mm diff would make (if any at all).

The INF3 (neck) & INF4 (bridge) pickups are midrange rich, a plus if you demand single note clarity especially when soloing in the neck humbucker. However, if you want chunky, sludgy, low-end, ala Les Paul, it`s not available here. The INF pickups churn out a thermal low-midrange, think Duncan`s Screamin` Demon, but with a bit more poke. The INFS3 middle single coil here is not a strat emulator albeit being very good per se. It does give you a tonal variation but doesn`t sparkle in isolated use.

The Edge III floating vibrato bridge is Ibanez`s latest interpretation to the Floyd Rose unit. What I like about it is the preservation of the rounded surface, an inheritance from the Edge Pro make. However, the pivot contact still needs refinement as whammy bar applications feel rather stiff, but return to pitch is still superior to the dreaded TRS models, which are thankfully discontinued (WEF 2003).

Last say
The RG350DX is a fitting model to perpetuate the mid-price functionality & sensibility of the RG series. It is a wonderful performer for the asking price, displaying an above average capacity but nothing excellent tone-wise. It`s inevitable that a guitar of this specification would be exclusively associated to all things shred but with a more appropriate set of replacement pickups, the RG350DX would be a versatile workhorse.

Rating: 80%

Last edited:
All these reviews are transported from the old database I believe...

Good job soft! Finally the reviews are back up.

bro Sub i got a guy who wanna trade my epi 4 his RG 350EX.. Its da same model but diff color only rite... anyway he offer 2 top up 80 bucks, da cond is pickguard badly scrathed and 1 screw lose... Is it a gd deal...

Anyway if i get dat guitar i have like 400plus 2 spend on it.. so wanna upgrade pups wat do u recommend???

it's a good move. make sure it's the current RG350 model which sports the Edge III bridge, anything TRS equipped isn't a good deal.

pickguard issues shouldn't be a primary concern. which screw is loose, exactly?

How 2 spot if its an edge III or TRS..... Anyway can u recommend me some pups so i can turn it into a versatile guitar... Most i wud like it 2 go towards blues and rock... wondering if da single coil can spot a jimi hendrix tone....

epi les paul custom vs rg350

would trading an epi les paul custom for an rg350 be worth it? i find tt the epi's tone can't quite make it, esp in terms of warmth (does anyone agree?)and the rg seems more versatile. but i'm wondering if doing such a swap is wise in the first place. thanks

good sounding Epis, i believe are to be found in the endorser range: Zakk Wylde/ Bone yard among others. the rest of the Epis IMO need a pickup swap to make them sound appealing.

if you are crossing over to the RG350 territory, do consider the floating bridge hassle, as oppossed to your tune-o-matic in the Epi. consider the conditions (physical) before swapping...

Re: epi les paul custom vs rg350

poksam said:
would trading an epi les paul custom for an rg350 be worth it? i find tt the epi's tone can't quite make it, esp in terms of warmth (does anyone agree?)and the rg seems more versatile. but i'm wondering if doing such a swap is wise in the first place. thanks

Flame me to death if you want guys but I can't find ANY "warmth" with any floyd rose equip RG's.

Edder, its probably due to the Basswood + Floyd Rose combination, and that maple neck with rosewood fretboard, that makes the RGs relatively cold sounding. But on the flipside, they be articulate under loads of gain...

Gotta try some of those J Custom RGs man! With mahogany bodies! :twisted:

I've been considering this against a Epiphone gothic explorer, i know nuts about guuitar gear, so could i have some advice? pleasee. I am more inclined to playing rock and metal, which would be more of a better choice? the rg 350dx or epi goth explorer?

Latest posts

Back