Humming of my guitar.

Fruitwine

hi all, i need help from all u experts :D
Problem ::
My guitar hums like hell. The pickups im using are Fender 80's single coils (the real crap, its older than me x.x). from what i understand, those single coils are supposed to hum, but mine hums like crazy. However, when i place my hand / finger on the input jack, the hum seems to go away, leaving the standard, and acceptable, noise. Grounding was done properly, and bro mentioned something about shielding. Anyone here knows how to shield or whatever? thanks for bothering to read this ^^

You mean shielding the control cavity? From what I know, that's covering the cavity where your electronics reside with shielding tape/paint. Don't think it's too hard to do too.

my strat has a lot of fret buzz. the action is ok not too low. how to solve it? is it also humming?

thanks for all the replies.

shredcow - that link is helpful, but it seems a tad complicated 8O

anyone here on the forums shielded his own guitar before?

On an unrelated note, I had some hum coming out of my amp which I tracked down to having plugged into a 4 way multiplug. When I plugged the amp directly in the mains, the hum disappeared. I know this isn't your problem (yours sounds like some grounding/earthing issue) but it's a useful tip for anyone suffering annoying amp hum.

it could be due to the fact that ur amp isnt grounded? try to change ur amp plug to a 3 pin plug.

o_O amp? as u said, i dun think it is my amp. coz it happens when i plug it into the computer, my own peavey keyboard amp, my bro's kustom, all with the problem. as in the earlier post, anyone here did his own shielding b4? or knows where i can bring my instrument to to get it done?

I believe Davis will do a good job. Not too expensive too... maybe $50? Not too sure though, better give them a call.

Print out the webpage I sent to you, and tell them to do that for you. Otherwise, you can just tell them to do it and hopefully, they know how to quieten down the noise. :)

Guys, im sorry but i think a lot of suggestions given aren't that helpful. u r missing out this key point:

However, when i place my hand / finger on the input jack, the hum seems to go away, leaving the standard, and acceptable, noise.

hmm. thanks for the replies. i think i'll just lug it down to a tech someday soon and ask him to check and see whats the problem. Thanks all, once again ^^

Back