How long do spend on ur instrument?

DoubleBlade

how often do u practice on ur instrument and how long do u spend on it?

for me it's 2 hours of piano everyday.1 hour after breakfast and 1 hour after dinner....

for wadever reason i will always feel guilty when i dun hit the 2 hour mark everyday.of course wif 2 hours comes complete concentration and no time wasting for me.... :lol:

as an O level candidate i dont have the luxury of practising 2 hours everyday...

i used to self-jam 1.5 hrs a day for the past 2 years, but come this year i have only time and energy to touch the guitar on weekends...

for weekdays..remedials, CCAs, homework, courses, workshops have really kicked me in the butt. :(

yeah i understand O levels is like ur life. 4 months no computer and 6 months no piano....the only source of entertainment i had was my guitar cause i was staying at my cousin's house for about a month so dat his mum could drill me in my E maths before staying at my aunt's house for 3 months b4 the O level exams....

every evening i would go to my school library to study until 9pm plus before going back to my aunts at around 10 plus and the entire cycle goes on and on every schooling day....

oh btw , is 2 hours a day on the piano a little bit too extreme? there's always this conscience at the back of my head telling me to always practice on my piano instead of sleeping or going out.it's like i'm fighting a battle wif my conscience....

anyone would like to share about their experiences regarding this?

DoubleBlade said:
yeah i understand O levels is like ur life. 4 months no computer and 6 months no piano....the only source of entertainment i had was my guitar cause i was staying at my cousin's house for about a month so dat his mum could drill me in my E maths before staying at my aunt's house for 3 months b4 the O level exams....

every evening i would go to my school library to study until 9pm plus before going back to my aunts at around 10 plus and the entire cycle goes on and on every schooling day....

oh btw , is 2 hours a day on the piano a little bit too extreme? there's always this conscience at the back of my head telling me to always practice on my piano instead of sleeping or going out.it's like i'm fighting a battle wif my conscience....

anyone would like to share about their experiences regarding this?

i think its time management. loose the time u spend with friends or like on outings. just school and piano. it can be done. i used to spend 4 hours min on piano everyday. and i got 18 for Os.. not great results, but manageable considering i spent so much time. :) now, can play already, so slack in school. i only play an hour or two tops, and the rset of the time in the studio wanking :D

Lol i spend 2 hours on guitar everyday. The 2 hours like, break up to alot of parts. 10 mins later, interesting show on tv, watch. for like 1 hour, then go back 15 mins. then computer. and bla bla bla.

cant really sit down and play for 2 hours str8. =/ dunno why lol

Today- I have spent about 6 hours, normally on a weekday 2-4hours, weekends I can go through the night if I lose track of time and end up playing about 8 hours, with short breaks.

the maximum i hit was 3 hours and that usually happens on sundays which is TODAY and i only spend like an hour and a half on my piano today which is really disappointing for me.......

haha i guess that's why i choose to study at La Salle SIA.can balance school work wif piano.i hope in between lessons when there is a long break , i can spend some time on the piano at the piano studios there and at the same time concentrate on school work instead of going home late every nite from school and being so tired dat u have no mood to practice ur piano at home...the best of both worlds for me lies in La Salle SIA :lol:

I wish I had the same amount of time as you guys! Once you reach a certain age, time seems to be getting less and less.

However, when I was in junior college, I remembered practicing about 1 hour a day (not much). But I spent about 1-2 hours everyday transcribing music (ie listening to a piece of music and writing out the actual scores of all the instruments played in the piece of music). Did it for interest and to train my ear.

for me i always try to squeeze in an hour for say maybe once every 3 days for my own original composition but i'm juz too caught up wif working on the pieces and technical work which my teacher gives me every week that i juz have no mood to work on my original compositions...

dhalif said:
4 - 6 hours on the guitar everyday... weekends sometimes all day long until i fall asleep..

well i guess for a guitarist it's easy for time to fly when u're practising on ur guitar cause u guys have the comfort of practising on ur bed , sofa , computer chair etc while a pianist has to sit on this boring chair which has no incline function nor does it have any back support and stick his fingers on the keyboard and nothing else...now surely i doubt time will ever fly wif this kinda condition.....

Me, cant go more than 1 hour usually ... unless got the drive to do more practice ... so my practice schedule would be like guitar 1 hr, bass 1 hr and piano 1hr

it's juz good to see a committed bunch of musicians here at soft

can balance keyboard , bass and guitar in one shot...mr keyboardman i salute u :D

i think all u musicians can burn me on the spot when it comes to ur practice schedule..... :roll:

An hour or 2 every day or 2 days,... NUS really takes a BIG toll especially if ur doing research,... i usually try n improve in the long hols,..

If i can manage an hour a day now i'm really lucky.. gotta blame it all on the projects. Hopefully i can go back to long hours after the exams..

Latest posts

Back